Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2020, 10:12 PM   #1

Showing gps on upper tv screen

Can I make the Rand McNally gps also appear on the overhead tv screen.
Stanmawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2020, 04:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
GPS on upper screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanmawyer View Post
Can I make the Rand McNally gps also appear on the overhead tv screen.
The Xcite dash unit spec does indicate Aux Monitor support which I suspect is buried behind the unit. However, you would need to run a video cable from the dash to the upper TV. Interesting project that might be worth a look.

You could screen mirror from an Android tablet Google maps which would also give you traffic. Setting this up requires some techy experience and mobile internet access.
stv_szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #3

There are already 2 threads about this in the last couple days with lots of info and links to how to.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #4

How practical would that actually be?

IMO
The passenger would need a neck brace after a short while.
It would be to dangerous for the driver to look up at it.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Cute idea, but seems like I recall someone saying most rv's have an ignition interlock to not allow front tv to work when engine on...
Old 05-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #6

If our ignition is turned on our overhead TV cuts off. IMHO this is a very good safety feature to be built into these coaches and I hope it is difficult to defeat.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
There are already 2 threads about this in the last couple days with lots of info and links to how to.
What az99 said

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/in-...tv-479362.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/xit...tv-489532.html
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just moved the plug from the socket behind the TV to the one in the AV cabinet and works while going down the road. We plug our IPhone directly into the TV and run WAZE going down the road. We also have a Garmen on the dash as a backup.

We like WAZE because it warns of hazards in the road, accidents, cars on the side of the road and ETC. We were warned of hazard in the road while traveling I70 in MO and turn out to be a wash machine in the our lane.

We don't watch TV going down the road.

CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I just moved the plug from the socket behind the TV to the one in the AV cabinet and works while going down the road. We plug our IPhone directly into the TV and run WAZE going down the road. We also have a Garmen on the dash as a backup. We were warned of hazard in the road while traveling I70 in MO and turn out to be a wash machine in the our lane.

We like WAZE because it warns of hazards in the road, accidents, cars on the side of the road and ETC.
Also:
"My 2015 Dutch Star, behind the overhead TV there is a white plug with two yellow wires. Just unplug that and the Overhead TV will remain on, ignition or not."
Old 05-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Stan

You see there are a lot of opinions about doing this. I did a quick mockup on doing this and yes it works. On the back of the Xcite there is an used Aux Out cable with 3 connections. You connect a component video cable to that and run it to the Sony TV. You will to use a short cable supplied with the TV which will connect to the bottom of the TV. The small cable will have 3 color coded connections. Connect the component cable to the green connection.

On the Xcite unit you need to go to the setup menu and under the System menu you will see AUX Zone. Set that to Main.

On the TV set the Input to Video.

Now anything on the Main screen of the Xcite will show on the TV but the resolution is lower. Not bad though.

Now I see some good uses for this while parked or even driving BUT at the risk of being Flamed by the forum I won't expand on it here.

All I wanted to do was answer your question. THE ANSWER IS YES. The rationale is up you.
stv_szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Also:
"My 2015 Dutch Star, behind the overhead TV there is a white plug with two yellow wires. Just unplug that and the Overhead TV will remain on, ignition or not."

I moved my plug to the AV cabinet because of the remote controlling the main TV and the overhead TV. While parked I just unplug the overhead TV and having the plug in the AV cabinet makes it simple to do.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I moved my plug to the AV cabinet because of the remote controlling the main TV and the overhead TV. While parked I just unplug the overhead TV and having the plug in the AV cabinet makes it simple to do.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
If our ignition is turned on our overhead TV cuts off. IMHO this is a very good safety feature to be built into these coaches and I hope it is difficult to defeat.
It is extremely difficult. Reach up and unplug it.
I am on the other side of the fence from you. I hate all this safety crap in everything today. If someone is to stupid to not watch the road, they should not be driving.
My wife uses it to yell at me after I missed the turn.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #14

We felt the screen was too small on our 2019 DS GPS. We bought a DVD player for like $100, and Velcro it to the dash. There are 3 RCA plugs on the radio to plug into. The only drawback we find is if you mount it over the GPS as we did. you must remove the player to program if we change where we are going. But it gives us a much larger screen and can be mounted any place on the dash.

Bill
Bill-n-Rita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, scr