Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
The long rod depresses the valve stem valve. I had one the the rod was to short and wonít let my TPMS read that wheel
It will do this if the outer Schrader valve (one with the core) is not fully seated.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
It will do this if the outer Schrader valve (one with the core) is not fully seated.

This is true and I tried everything
Finally Spartan ended up warrantying it . The actual rod was damaged on the end just enough to make it short, like it had been dropped. What you did is a much better setup in my opinion.
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"turbopilot".....You may now run into another issue that I have. With the shorter stem, the TMPS will fit on nicely, but there is not enough room to fit an air chuck. I keep one of these with my air chuck, so I can screw it on and fill the tires and then just remove it.

https://rvibrake.com/products/1-tire...=7407144960023
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"turbopilot".....You may now run into another issue that I have. With the shorter stem, the TMPS will fit on nicely, but there is not enough room to fit an air chuck. I keep one of these with my air chuck, so I can screw it on and fill the tires and then just remove it.

Thanks for the heads up. Saw this coming got one yesterday.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Just got this Digital Tire Inflator today. Very accurate and it reaches in and clips on to the shorter stem. Much easier to service tire pressure. We had these on the EarthRoamer since we were constantly air down the off road tires in sandy conditions.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #20

help

Turbopilot, I am having this exact issue right with the valve extensions and I am going around and around with the tire shop.

What did you end up getting and if you can give me a product name or part number of what you used would help me tremendously so I can purchase them and end this silly saga.

Thanks!
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
Turbopilot, I am having this exact issue right with the valve extensions and I am going around and around with the tire shop.

What did you end up getting and if you can give me a product name or part number of what you used would help me tremendously so I can purchase them and end this silly saga.

Thanks!
Click onto Turbo Pilot's post then click onto where "Digital Tire Inflator" is underlined and the link will come right up.
Lynn
Old 07-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #22

sorry

Sorry I was not more clear. I meant valve stem/extenders. What continuous flow valve stem/extenders did he end up getting and where.

"Since we had the wheels off I had them replace the valve stem with a single piece valve stem."
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Ok, now the rest of the story. What a mess it has caused because FreightLiner does not use a one piece valve core extension.

Below is the valve stem and valve stem extension removed from my inner dual. As you can see this configuration has two Schrader valves: one on the end and one at the junction between the valve core and valve core extender. When they took it apart they found the Schrader valve on the inner valve stem was partially screwed out and leaking. So what was happening is that the tube attached to the outer Schrader valve on compression was jamming against the side of the partially screwed out inner Schrader valve not allowing it to pop back out after being depressed. That also explains why my TPMS measured pressure when I replaced the Schrader valve with the core with a regular Schrader valve without the core.

Since we had the wheels off I had them replace the valve stem with a single piece valve stem. That resulted in a slight shorter extension that in turn allowed for the removal of the valve stem protective grommet that has been the subject of a safety recall.

My turn😁
Freightlinerís annual check up always includes checking the psi and raising them to max, 120psi in our case.
Didnít know this before my service and when completed before I left Freightliner of Hartford checked my TPMS and was shocked.
They also put on my TPM so tight that when I tried to correct them it ended up turning off the extenders on 2 tires instead of the monitors themselves.
It was a bit of a hassle to get it straightened out before I left the shop...forget that it was 12 degrees outside and Iím trying to do this in the parking lot 😡
There explanation to me was to tell them not to touch the PSI before the service
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #24
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Sheridany; replacing the extensions with one-piece valvestems is the best solution. [Moderator Edit]

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Since we had the wheels off I had them replace the valve stem with a single piece valve stem. That resulted in a slight shorter extension that in turn allowed for the removal of the valve stem protective grommet that has been the subject of a safety recall.
What was the safety recall? I looked but couldn't find anything.

I'm just wondering about it since on our 2018 Ventana both grommets where not properly installed. They where dangling on the valve stem extension between the inner and outer dually. Because of that, the valve stem kept banging on the rim and eventually broke in half causing rapid air loss in the inner dually.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
My turn😁
Freightlinerís annual check up always includes checking the psi and raising them to max, 120psi in our case.
Didnít know this before my service and when completed before I left Freightliner of Hartford checked my TPMS and was shocked.
They also put on my TPM so tight that when I tried to correct them it ended up turning off the extenders on 2 tires instead of the monitors themselves.
It was a bit of a hassle to get it straightened out before I left the shop...forget that it was 12 degrees outside and Iím trying to do this in the parking lot 😡
There explanation to me was to tell them not to touch the PSI before the service
The issue appears to be the torque needed to seat the TPMS sensor without a leak. Much higher than the valve stem cap. This torque appears to over torque the junction between the inner valve stem and the extension causing a leak and stuck valve stem. Just replaced my other inner dual with extended valve stem.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #27

Quote:
The issue appears to be the torque needed to seat the TPMS sensor without a leak. Much higher than the valve stem cap. This torque appears to over torque the junction between the inner valve stem and the extension causing a leak and stuck valve stem. Just replaced my other inner dual with extended valve stem.
I think my issue might have been slightly different but related.
Let me first say that I have been using extenders on my previous coach for it's entire 11 years of service to me and had no problems with issues.

On this coach I feel that the extenders are fine as long as someone doesn't try to torque down my TPMS senders past there correct tightness. Once that was done at Freightliner I was left with trying to remove the senders on the inside rears with out turning off the extenders, a real chore while laying in a parking lot at 15 degrees

My TPMS senders have been with me through the old coach and are being reused on this coach (2 battery changes). On installation its always the same....screw them on past where the start to leak air (you can hear this) then just snug them down...no need to be Godzilla on the torque. That has always worked and if you are in doubt about how tight the extenders are ...when the TPMS senders are off use more torque on the extenders so they don't turn off when removing the senders from the extenders. Really not brain surgery.
One warning...the senders don't like to be on aluminium threads of any valve stem for a period of time. As I am sure you know brass and aluminum don't play well together...be aware some toads (especially Honda's) use aluminium
threads on there valve stem and it is not easy separating them after a period of time. If this is the case a little die-electric grease on the threads might be the answer.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote