Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Side Panel Delamination

We have experienced an impending failure to the junction of the aft side wall panel and the rear corner end cap of our 2014 (purchased new in 2016) Canyon Star toy hauler.
It appears the failure started under a trim piece that covers the seam between the two fiberglass pieces.
The failure was first detected as a bulge under the verticle trim stripe. It is apparent now the failure was of the screws pulling through the side panel and allowing the panel to dislodge the trim piece.
Has anyone else had this issue?

Sorry for the orientation of the photos; they should be rotated 90 degrees. (No, the seam did not come apart because I turned the RV over on its side.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeamFail1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	225027   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeamFail2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	225028  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We had a similar issue on our 2014 Ventana LE. The separation occurred at the seam between the sideway and the front cap just under the driver's window.

The good news is that Newmar stepped up and fixed the problem. And, the repair was flawlessly done!

Are you sure the screws pulled through the sidewall panel? What we found was that there were no "screws" used at the seam up front; just adhesive. We were never able to determine whether there were supposed to be screws, but it sounded like Newmar did not specify the use of screws.

When the repair was done at a Newmar service center (not at the factory), screws were added. It was the shop foreman's feeling that screws should have been used at that seam, whether or not Newmar spec'd it that way.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you, Jim. I've sent an inquiry to Customer Service at Newmar but have no response yet.
I am hesitant to move the unit without hearing from them because one edge of the trim piece is open forward to the slipstream. I'd hate to see it whipping along behind me on the expressway!
There appear to be predrilled holes in the panel, but no screws are evident. You may well be correct and no screws were installed. Sounds like a bad plan to me!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
If you need to move the coach, use some Gorilla duct tape to cover the open area gap. It held up well for me on a 350-mile trip to the service center to get the repairs made. Since then, I carry a roll of that Gorilla tape in the coach.

TJ
Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
X-2 on the Gorilla Tape. That stuff doesn't give up easily.
Hope you get fixed up good as new soon.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #6

Just a minor point, the failure you describe is not "side panel delamination". That is a whole different kind of problem and one I'd be very surprised to see on a Newmar.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Just a minor point, the failure you describe is not "side panel delamination". That is a whole different kind of problem and one I'd be very surprised to see on a Newmar.
I suppose, technically, "side panel delamination" could refer to the layers of the side panel material separating. The term has also been applied to the side panel material "delaminating" from the structure.

The term "lamination" usually refers to various layers of material being joined together with an adhesive. Since much of the sidewall construction in motorhomes (not Just Newmars either) involve joining the exterior panels to the underlying structure with some form of adhesive, I think the term "lamination" may be appropriate there as well.

Just another $.02 worth.

TJ
Old 11-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
... is not "side panel delamination". That is a ...
Yeah, I know what it really means, but I couldn't think of a succinct way to put it. I didn't want to say, "it come unhitched from the other part", but that's essentially what happened.
Still no response from Newmar.
I'm growing somewhat concerned with the silence.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
... roll of that Gorilla tape in the coach.

TJ
Thank's Jim. Did you have any issues residue from the tape interacting with the finish on the panel?
I'm only about 50 miles or so from a service center, but I still like the idea of covering the failure.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydduB View Post
Thank's Jim. Did you have any issues residue from the tape interacting with the finish on the panel?
I'm only about 50 miles or so from a service center, but I still like the idea of covering the failure.
No issues at all. The body shop at Guaranty RV in Oregon actually suggested that I use Gorilla tape and they were able to remove any residue. We only used enough to cover the open area; a single 2" wide strip. I wouldn't put any more on than is needed to prevent air from getting under the panel.

TJ
Old 11-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Especially since the sidewalls aren't laminated and can't delaminate like most others.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Well, for anyone following this, I've got good news and bad news... The good news is that I have received an incident number from Newmar to give my local Newmar repair center; the bad news is the first available time for anyone to look at the coach is the day after Thanksgiving!
I contacted two different centers and they all appear to be this busy.
With this much work going on, you'd think there are business opportunities for more Service Centers.
The local service rep said that judging from the pictures he thought the wall would have to be "de-stressed" and repaired. "This is not just a matter of putting in some screws and resealing the trim."
NOT what I was wanting to hear.
I'll post a follow up after Turkey Day.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydduB View Post
Well, for anyone following this, I've got good news and bad news... The good news is that I have received an incident number from Newmar to give my local Newmar repair center; the bad news is the first available time for anyone to look at the coach is the day after Thanksgiving!
I contacted two different centers and they all appear to be this busy.
With this much work going on, you'd think there are business opportunities for more Service Centers.
The local service rep said that judging from the pictures he thought the wall would have to be "de-stressed" and repaired. "This is not just a matter of putting in some screws and resealing the trim."
NOT what I was wanting to hear.
I'll post a follow up after Turkey Day.
Sounds to me like the "good news" was pretty good and the "bad news" wasn't all that bad in the overall scheme of things. I was pretty sure Newmar would step up on this.

TJ
Old 11-10-2018, 12:56 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Forgive me, I don't want to muddy the waters here....but I would tape it up and take it to the factory if it was me. Just how I feel, that's all, it might be without merrit I don't know. But personally I would want the techs at Newmar to do this and no one else. If a screw up of some kind reveals itself (God forbid), they can't deny it, and they'll make it right. A service center, whether factory certified or not......well, I wouldn't be confident that things wouldn't get complicated. Just my opinion friend.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel