Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Side Radiator Door Latches

I did this project on my previous coach (2014 DS) and wanted to do it again on my 2019. I like to be able to easily open the side radiator door for cleaning of the radiator and waxing around the edges of the door.

The last time I did this, I made it more complicated than it needed to be. I used the same locks this time, SouthCo push button locks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took a piece of thin aluminum plate, 3" x 1.5" and drilled a hole in the center of the plate and then enlarged it with a file until the lock fit the hole. I drilled holes along the upper and lower edge of the plate and then positioned it on the door fins so that it caught the edges of the vertical tin plate behind the radiator door. I used four small self tapping screws and secured the assembly to the back side of the radiator door via the horizontal fins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_141407.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	229331

Name:	20181217_141536.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	229329

I used some woodworking clamps to hold the latches in place and try them. Keep in mind, when mounting the laches, that the radiator door slides back and forth, right to left and left to right on the upper hinge, so make sure it's centered before setting the position of the locks. I lucked out and with the locks both tightened to the plate, they were the perfect length for latching the door firmly.

Lastly, Freightliner attaches that plastic shroud along the bottom of the radiator very poory. It's held on (behind the radiator door) with several screws, but the bottom of it was just two sided taped on mine, which had already come loosely. The lower flap, under the coach just flopped around.

With the radiator door open, I drilled a hole (downward) through the plastic shroud, next to the metal plate that runs the length of the radiator. I then put a vert slight "Z" bend into four large fender washers and clamped the plastic to the metal plate by pinching the plastic to the plate with the washers, using some 1/4 - 20 x 1" bolts.

Name:	20181217_141551.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	229330
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After reading about your mod on the radiator door I ordered the same push button locks and will tackle that tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well.....I did your power cord reel the other day. Used a pvc pipe cutter to cut the tubes. Should solve the binding up cord issue.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When you said they used double sided tape to hold the plastic bottom together I thought wow how cheap. So I took a look at my Spartian Chassis and saw my high dollar double sided tape not holding, wow how cheap. I found 4 threaded 3/8 holes in the metal above the plastic so I drilled holes in the plastic and used 3/8 S.S. B.H. with fender washers to hold it together. (thanks for pointing that out) I had some hood bumpers left over from building my Jeep and used them to cushion and hold the door tight. I used the 2 brackets that came with the push button locks to hold the door from sliding left and right. Great mod, thanks for posting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2160.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	229449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2157.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	229450  

Name:	IMG_2159.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	229451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2161.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	229452  

Old 12-19-2018, 04:18 AM   #5

Is the louvered "door" hinged from the factory? Do you have a pic with it in the open position?
Thanks
David
2019 DSDP 4369
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Don, parts on order

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

Don, are lift struts coming in the future?
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
Is the louvered "door" hinged from the factory? Do you have a pic with it in the open position?
Thanks
David
2019 DSDP 4369
Don't have a picture of it open but if you look at my third picture you can see the make shift hinge they use. I used the L bracket to stop it from sliding, one on each side.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes.....It's hinged at the top from the factory. If I'm doing a thorough cleaning, I use one of my many adjustable cleaning poles to hold it open.

On our first trip in the coach, we picked up a bunch of stringy road debris (dried brown grass) that stuck to the jacks, wheel wells and some even went inside the side radiator, behind the cover.

Side note.....If you look at your side radiator, the main section you see, is radiator. Part way up you'll see a metal divide, which is the intercooler. Now look down low at the bottom 3". The bottom 3" is the A/C condenser. Just in the first trip, the debris at the bottom, blocked about 10% of the condenser. Newmar, with their zealous use of foam, also blocked some of the condenser near the front. During the summer months, I like to keep that lower section clean for A/C cooling.

Lastly, I like to lift the cover and wash and wax the sides.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dutchstar Don:

I wanted to thank you for this updated method. I just did the installation today and it was very simple to do using the new method you posted here.

I wish I had larger drill bits, as that hole required a lot of filing. I had to eat a can of spinach 1/2 way through just to finish the job!

I do have a tip for those that are going to do this. I was not able to find a clamp to hold it in place, but I did have some cheap 2 sided tape. This worked perfect for adjusting it, and getting it in place to attach the screws.

I also had to secure the bottom radiator trim as noted by others. I added 2 short sheet metal screws with a washer.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I sure wish they would make that bottom trim out of sheet metal, instead of plastic, but I'm guessing it would get bent. The tow sided tape was a good idea.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Well.....I did your power cord reel the other day. Used a pvc pipe cutter to cut the tubes. Should solve the binding up cord issue.
Power cord reel mod? To get it to wind on more smoothly? Did I miss this? I've been considering how to modify mine to keep it from bunching up in the middle.

A link or details would be appreciated.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim....here is what several of us have done. You cut the spacers and reinstall them. It's just an aluminum rod (threaded) with a phillips head screw on both ends.

Disassemble the horizontal aluminum rod, upper and lower and remove the spacers. The rod is threaded with a phillips screw at both ends.Take the two horizontal center spacers and cut them in half, making four. Move them to the outside position and move the two outside spacers to the center.

I have a Milwaukee tubing cutter I used to cut the plastic rollers. They're pretty soft. Others are using pvc pipe cutters.

The mod makes it easier to feed the cord right and left as you wind it in.

Name:	20190505_193734.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	244944

Name:	20190227_132126 (002).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	244945
Old 05-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jim....here is what several of us have done. You cut the spacers and reinstall them. It's just an aluminum rod (threaded) with a phillips head screw on both ends.

Disassemble the horizontal aluminum rod, upper and lower and remove the spacers. The rod is threaded with a phillips screw at both ends.Take the two horizontal center spacers and cut them in half, making four. Move them to the outside position and move the two outside spacers to the center.

I have a Milwaukee tubing cutter I used to cut the plastic rollers. They're pretty soft. Others are using pvc pipe cutters.

The mod makes it easier to feed the cord right and left as you wind it in.

Attachment 244944

Attachment 244945
Thanks, Don. That's just what I was thinking of doing. Glad others have tested it for me. It is now on my to-do short-list.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, radiator