Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Side Radiator Mechanical Fan Gearbox Oil Change Procedure / Advice

Good Morning - Has anyone changed the side radiator mechanical fan gearbox oil on either their Newmar Freightliner or Spartan chassis? I would like to change mine yet cannot find any PDF or any other info on it. Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thank you!
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #2

Isn't the mechanical fan drive on Freightliner only ?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

No, they can be found on many Spartan chassis models also. I've never changed it myself, but have had it done when getting the unit serviced. I would recommend using only synthetic gear lube when doing it.

Peter
Old 11-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Heartland RV Club
Freightliner Parts Just Laughed

I've been to two FL parts counters this year and asked for their recommendation on which oil to use for the fan and both guys just laughed and told me "nobody changes that oil until 100,000 miles". So, I haven't changed mine yet (26,000 miles), but I'm still concerned and am looking forward to hearing relies as well.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenStMary View Post
I've been to two FL parts counters this year and asked for their recommendation on which oil to use for the fan and both guys just laughed and told me "nobody changes that oil until 100,000 miles". So, I haven't changed mine yet (26,000 miles), but I'm still concerned and am looking forward to hearing relies as well.
I fully agree! I only changed the oil once in my last coach, and that was to make sure it was syn oil, and I put 85K miles on it with no issues. I saw a recommendation that it should be changed every 5,000 miles! Hog wash! If that was the case there would be a lot of failed gear boxes out there.

Peter
Old 11-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"jd956jd956".....If you look in the Freightliner Chassis Manual that came with your coach, it has a procedure for changing the oil at 6 months. It recommends draining the oil, installing a flush and then refilling. I went to my Freightliner dealer and got the same response when I asked about buying the flush and oil. They just laughed and said they never do it. They did wink at me and told me to just buy the oil and keep the receipt.

Mine has always weeped from day one and last May I asked Freightliner to look at it. They replaced it without hesitation. It no longer weeps and is dry as a bone.

Changing it may be difficult because it's so hard to reach. Apparently, the way to do it is by removing the interior engine access panel and servicing it from the top.

If you look in the Freightliner manual, it tells you everything you need to service at 6 months. They also want you to change out the hydraulic steering fluid. I found that to be unreasonable, but did change the filter. It's located in the white tank when you open the engine door. It has two caps, under one is the filter. (Not sure if the filter is the same on your ISX).
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

I have changed mine but just as Dutch Star Don mentioned, it leaked pretty bad and was replaced by Freightliner. If yours is leaking, I would approach Freightliner about a replacement.

The box has 3 set screws that take an allen wrench to turn. There is one on the top, side and bottom. Remove the top and side plugs before removing the bottom plug which will drain the box. After it is empty, use Teflon tape on one of the set screws and replace the bottom plug and begin to refill the box with the recommended synthetic oil. As soon as the side hole begins to seep, stop filling and allow the excess fluid to drain. The level of fluid needed is to the bottom on the side hole. Be aware that you will use approximately a cup or perhaps a little more of the synthetic lube. When the side plug quits seeping, use Teflon tape and install the side plug. Then tape the top set screw and install it in the top.

The difficulty in the whole process is due to the located of the box. I was able to do mine from the bottom looking up and as Don said, you could get to it from the top also.
Good luck
Jim
Old 11-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
I have changed mine but just as Dutch Star Don mentioned, it leaked pretty bad and was replaced by Freightliner. If yours is leaking, I would approach Freightliner about a replacement.

The box has 3 set screws that take an allen wrench to turn. There is one on the top, side and bottom. Remove the top and side plugs before removing the bottom plug which will drain the box. After it is empty, use Teflon tape on one of the set screws and replace the bottom plug and begin to refill the box with the recommended synthetic oil. As soon as the side hole begins to seep, stop filling and allow the excess fluid to drain. The level of fluid needed is to the bottom on the side hole. Be aware that you will use approximately a cup or perhaps a little more of the synthetic lube. When the side plug quits seeping, use Teflon tape and install the side plug. Then tape the top set screw and install it in the top.

The difficulty in the whole process is due to the located of the box. I was able to do mine from the bottom looking up and as Don said, you could get to it from the top also.
Good luck
Jim
I haven't changed it yet on my 2015 4018 DS but I have removed the 7/8" plug on top of the unit next to the vent pipe and it has a level indicator attached to it which shows the level of the oil. So far it has been in the "full" area even though it is weeping and a FL shop has agreed to change it out if I'll just let them know when so they can have one ordered. How can so many be leaking?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #9

Thank you ALL very much! I cannot emphasize how much I appreciate and have appreciated the members of this forum!

This new coach is a bit overwhelming and I have so much to learn. My old 1997 American Eagle was so simple and I was able to do everything to it - never had to take it in to anyone for anything other than tires over the six years I owned it. During my Eagle ownership, over-time, I acquired all the tools to do what what recommended and hope to continue to be able to do all for this new coach. Because of you all, I know I will succeed
Old 11-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #10

Forgot to ask... from where does it weep the oil? The drain plugs or a seal somewhere?
Old 11-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #11

Only MA, London Aire, Essex and King Aires would have the mechanical fan that has the gear box. I have changed the fluid which is 90 weight syn. 4 times in the last 130K miles and 12 years on our Essex. There is a 3/8 allan socket you will need to drain the 1 quart of fluid out and then there is another allan plug half up the case to replace fluid which needs to be pumped in. Would suggest ever 30K miles or every 3 years for replacement. Check fluid level ever oil change.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
They weep from the seal and everything will be wet, including the box and fan blades.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, fan, radiator