RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
mre

Significant Condensation Buildup Around Dash Vents

There are four dash vents in our Ventana. I have noticed that when using the A/C, a significant amount of condensation is collecting on top and around the dash for the driver's side center vent and around the two passenger's vents to the extent that the condensation is running down the vertical part of the dash. Anyone else have this problem? I have seen a little condensation around dash vents in other vehicles a few times over the years, but nothing to this extent. I makes me wonder what is collecting behind the dash.

It almost seems to me that the vent hoses were not connected properly to the back of the vents behind the dash.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
There are four dash vents in our Ventana. I have noticed that when using the A/C, a significant amount of condensation is collecting on top and around the dash for the driver's side center vent and around the two passenger's vents to the extent that the condensation is running down the vertical part of the dash. Anyone else have this problem? I have seen a little condensation around dash vents in other vehicles a few times over the years, but nothing to this extent. I makes me wonder what is collecting behind the dash.

It almost seems to me that the vent hoses were not connected properly to the back of the vents behind the dash.

If your running your ac I would be looking under the hood below the evaporator (right side) if the condensation drain hose is restricted, water will back up and be carried by the fan to the vents. Look at the low point for a hose, if the hose is open there could be debris pugging the drain up from the inside. Stuart

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
If your running your ac I would be looking under the hood below the evaporator (right side) if the condensation drain hose is restricted, water will back up and be carried by the fan to the vents. Look at the low point for a hose, if the hose is open there could be debris pugging the drain up from the inside. Stuart
Though we have been out nearly three months, we were up in the north east where we needed heat and not a/c. This is only the 3rd drive day in heat and humidity and it makes me wish I posted this earlier.

I have noticed some condensation under the coach but never really paid much attention. But now that I think about it, it was not that much condensation. We have now been parked several hours at a camp ground so things have dried up. I just opened the front hood and saw no clog in the condensate line. It was dry. But interestingly, there was some condensate on the generator.

I assume that the evaporator box has the condensate line running from it -- if so, it is on the left (passenger’s side). On the right side of the box, there is some sort of electrical component with wires coming from it. (remember, I am the LCD here). There was some condensate dripping from it.
Also, along the leading edge of the base of the evaporator box, it has been wet and there looks like areas where water has dripped from.

We have one more drive day Friday. Only about two hours. Since we are in Florida, there will be no shortage of humidity. I will look at it during the drive and at home. I will probably take pictures.

I have a punch list and an appointment with the dealer 7/6 Of course, this is on the list.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You could try gently pushing something like a zip tie up from the bottom and move it around, see if water runs out. It is very common on some cars and trucks to get leaves in the evaporator for the grill at the bottom of the windshield. My guess is if yours is blocked itís sawdust and construction debris.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Did you have the AC in recycle mode (stops drawing air in from outside) or not. The Ventana in particular has condensater issues because of where Newmar places it. If you have fresh air coming in the foam air filter tends to collect moisture. Usually the moisture blows out all over the generator ( verified this with Freightliner) and misses the normal drain tube. Freightlinerís recommendation; always run dash AC with air in recirculating mode. The button for this looks like three arrowed lines in a circle. I can imagine that if you have the system set in fresh air mode the moisture is blowing into the air ducts.

Just a guess on my part, but easy to test.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Did you have the AC in recycle mode (stops drawing air in from outside) or not. The Ventana in particular has condensater issues because of where Newmar places it. If you have fresh air coming in the foam air filter tends to collect moisture. Usually the moisture blows out all over the generator ( verified this with Freightliner) and misses the normal drain tube. Freightlinerís recommendation; always run dash AC with air in recirculating mode. The button for this looks like three arrowed lines in a circle. I can imagine that if you have the system set in fresh air mode the moisture is blowing into the air ducts.

Just a guess on my part, but easy to test.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
I have been using the recirc mode and not drawing from the outside. Recirc gives me cooler air. I will test Saturday when I travel.

Sent from my XT1585 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-29-2018, 04:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post

Mre,
On the New Aire there are two removable trays/openings on the top of the dash that give you access to the guts of the dash area. I know it very well because I have to reach in and unplug my Xite each night to turn it off, but that's another story. But, I get to see the innards of the dash. That's bad because I can see most everything, wiring, Xite box, Silver Leaf Box, etc. and it is a huge mess. The Xite Box and the Silver leaf are just laying on top of the pile where ever they may end up while driving and that's on top of the air vent ducts which are covered in condensation. I have had to put tin foil (that's all I had available) between the vent and the Xite Box and Silve Leaf Box to keep water out of those electronics. Had I not discovered this it eventually would ruin both. Also, the water drops down through the mess of wires (and connections) to a galvanized looking box of some kind and onto the sub floor which looks somewhat like particle board looking down through the mess of wires with a flashlight. I have sent a picture of the vent ducts covered in water to Newmar and asked what's the solution to protecting all of this. There is a lot of water produced. I would post the pics but I can't figure out how to post pictures on this forum. Finally and sadly, I DO NOT expect to hear back from Newmar. I think they know this is going on but don't really care since it is hidden. All of you with higher end coaches are going to see this same thing. Don't think its not your problem also. I have owned several SOB coaches. This is my first Newmar and things like this, plus a few more, are a real eye opener to the quality of the Newmar brand in general.
R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
rdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:22 AM   #8

New Aire (and Essex, Kings, Londons, etc) Condensation

You may want to read the post on "Significant Condensation Buildup.........., Post no. 7 may be of interest.
R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire
rdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #9

Why is this only a high end coach problem?

Do not all the coaches have a lot of wiring etc in the front end?

Pictures would be great I’m sure someone will help,with pictures. I have not posted pictures.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Question is what is causing the condensation, older MH's have vents in same locations and did not have this problem.
Has anyone taken the temperature of cool air coming out of the vents, the sun off windshield will heat up the top of dash board and some of these dash boards have black coverings that likes heat attraction..
We always had light coverings on older MH's.
Evan's information.
Reading in the first part of link there is mention of a dehumidifier built in to remove excess humidity in air entering the AC portion of unit.
Humidity is moisture and hitting cool outlet will cause moisture correct?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:15 AM   #11

I can tell you we have not experienced the same issue with Florida weather in our coach, I suspected based on your description an air leak behind the dash chilling the surface and causing condensation. We do get the condensation under the hood as described, and I agree it's best to run the system in recirculation any time the temperature or humidity is challenging.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:27 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Posting pictures irv2 101 questions.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
All of these reports of condensation dripping from ac ducts can not be good, below all of the mess is wood sub flooring, over time the potential for rot, mold and mildew are a real concern on top of the damage to electrical components.
Iím assuming that all vents are open, I know when my wife gets cold she has a habit of shutting vents, I donít think you can shut many vents and not get evaporator icing, especially on recirculation.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4264534]Question is what is causing the condensation, older MH's have vents in same locations and did not have this problem.
Has anyone taken the temperature of cool air coming out of the vents, the sun off windshield will heat up the top of dash board and some of these dash boards have black coverings that likes heat attraction..
We always had light coverings on older MH's.
[B][URL="https://newpar.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/SS2013EVEQUILTRAIN.pdf
Evan's information[/URL][/B].
Reading in the first part of link there is mention of a dehumidifier built in to remove excess humidity in air entering the AC portion of unit.
Humidity is moisture and hitting cool outlet will cause moisture correct?
That's why I post this need some answers soon.

Tags
air, dash, vent