Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

Silicone caulking—who should I hire?

You have probably read my posts about removing cracked silicone caulking and preparing to replace with new caulking. (Thanks for all the replies) I am now ready to apply the new caulk and having reservations since I realize I will have only one shot to get it right and this repair is in a critical location where it will be seen by all. That said, I have decided to hire someone to apply the new silicone caulk.

My question is: Who would have the most experience?

1. Mobile RV repair person.

2. Home remodeler.

3. Someone who works in a glass shop.

I would appreciate your thoughts. I realize that most anyone I call will say, "Sure, I can do that," even though they may have limited experience.

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
You have probably read my posts about removing cracked silicone caulking and preparing to replace with new caulking. (Thanks for all the replies) I am now ready to apply the new caulk and having reservations since I realize I will have only one shot to get it right and this repair is in a critical location where it will be seen by all. That said, I have decided to hire someone to apply the new silicone caulk.

My question is: Who would have the most experience?

1. Mobile RV repair person.

2. Home remodeler.

3. Someone who works in a glass shop.

I would appreciate your thoughts. I realize that most anyone I call will say, "Sure, I can do that," even though they may have limited experience.

Rex
I am a Licensed Contractor. I would have my painter do it. Painters use caulk and silicone everyday. If you don't know of a good painter, go to a professional paint store and have them recommend you one.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Application tools.

A kit like this will have you looking like a pro in no time. My wife loves to use these on our rentals when recaulking the tubes. Find something to practice on, you'll be amazed how easy these tools make it.
17 Pieces Caulking Tool Kit Silicone Sealant Finishing Tool Grout Scraper Caulk Remover and Caulk Nozzle and Caulk Caps (Yellow) … https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LD3VTSC/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_u96HEb678MHGD
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rex, caulking is really easy and more than likely, you'll do a better job than some contractor. Keep in mind, if you line the protruding (outer edge where it overlaps the other piece) with blue tape, right up to where it curves over in your original photo, then place blue tape about an 1/8th inch from the inner edge, you'll do a perfect job. Use a little less than you think you need, it will fill in nicely. Wet your index finger and drag it the length of the seam. If you get a spot that needs more, use a little that you collected on your finger to touch it up and then run that area again with a wet finger.

Once you're satisfied, simply pull off the blue tape. If you don't like the outcome, use wet paper towels and wipe off what you did.

This is a job that you can do and if you don't like it, wipe it off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don’t replace with silicone. Use ProFlex RV.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
Don’t replace with silicone. Use ProFlex RV.

Walt
The clear pro flex is pretty good, but I've found the white gets hard and cracks. I've been using Lexel for most now with pretty good results. If I need white, I have had good luck with SikaFlex.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #7

Walt,

I tried ProFlex RV on a small 8-inch section. There was a gap where I started so, after applying a smooth line of caulk, I tried to smooth out and fix the start point with my finger. I am in Arizona. The Proflex RV had already started to dry and made a mess of my decent line of caulk. I quickly pulled the blue tape off and it left strings of ProFlex along the tape line. Bottom line: I think ProFlex is a great product, but in this warm, dry climate it drys too fast. So, I have gone back to silicone, hoping it won't dry as fast. And, my experience with ProFlex RV gives me pause about doing it myself on the the more important repairs on my PS slide out.

Rex
Old 04-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #8

Don,

You suggest wiping with a wet towel if I make a mistake. Can if effectively remove all the silicone caulk with a wet towel?

Rex
Old 04-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #9

Rex, whether you do it yourself or hire someone, here is a tip that works REALLY well when using silicone caulk.

Silicone caulk is great stuff, but it can be challenging to use because it's really sticky. As such it can be very tricky to end up with smooth bead of caulk. Here's how you do it:

Go to Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart or a similar store and obtain a can of DENATURED alcohol. While you're there, buy a cheap plastic spray bottle.

Run a bead of the silicone caulk, then use the spray bottle to mist the bead with denatured alcohol. After you've done that, you can run a finger over the caulk with no stickiness whatsoever.

I saw some videos online displaying this technique and was still skeptical, only because I've always found silicone caulk to be such a pain to work with. But I tried it when I replaced the double-bowl kitchen sink in our current motorhome with a single-bowl sink and was amazed at how good it worked.

Here is a link to a short video that demonstrates how to do it:

https://todayshomeowner.com/video/tip-for-smoothing-silicone-caulk

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	280229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plastic Spray Bottle.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	280230  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
if you have an issue and don't like the look, yes you can wet it and wipe it off. It will be a pain to get it clean, but you can get it off. Do a short section that has a start and stop point and see if you like how it turns out. If you don't, then you can hire someone.

For whatever reason, some have a problem with silicone. There is NOTHING wrong with it and works well in the gap you're trying to fill. If you were doing a roof repair where two pieces made a flat joint, the ProFlex would work as well or better. For vertical overlapping joints like yours, clear silicone works great. What you experienced with the ProFlex is EXACTLY why it's not a good choice for the repair that you're doing. It's stringy and hard to make look nice with a wet finger.

I wished I lived nearby, I would come over and we would knock it out in a few minutes. Just use the tape and the silicone.

I had a water leak at the passenger seat window (fixed). The sealant along the front edge was allowing water in when washing. Newmar only silicones the top edge of the window. I put the blue tape covering the front edge of the glass and then a strip of blue tape between the door frame and window......a very tight spot. I installed the silicone, making sure I pressed firmly to get it in the gap. Once done, I pulled off the tape, it was perfect. Tape is the secret!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #11

Hi All,
I will share the secret of applying silicon like a pro. After you clean the area and apply the silicone you spray the area with Caulk-EZ. That's it. Simple. Spray directly over the area you just silicon-ed and then wipe with your finger. Don't worry, the silicone will not stick to anything, not even your finger. Caulk-EZ will not affect the area you just applied silicone to as you spray after you apply.

It's easy and simple
Old 04-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #12

Larry,

As always, you make a compelling argument. I will head to Home Depot for denatured alcohol and give it a try. I need to find some scrap material to practice with first before taking this on.

Thanks

Rex
Old 04-04-2020, 05:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
I am a Licensed Contractor. I would have my painter do it. Painters use caulk and silicone everyday. If you don't know of a good painter, go to a professional paint store and have them recommend you one.
This is probably pretty good advise. Depending of what part of the country you live in another option would be finding a crew that does a ton of replacement windows.

Remember, what some would consider looks good after a do-it-yourself job is completed may not be exactly what you think looks all that great. Just as I said in your other thread, look for a professional to hire, especially if you want it to look like factory or better.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:17 AM   #14

1st off. DO NOT APPLY SILICONE TO YOUR RV. Use Proflex RV or any GOOD (as in expensive) NON Silicone caulk. Silcone is very hard to remove and nothing else will ever stick to it. Some manufactures do in fact put it on at the factory. That is because it is cheap. Talk to an RV tech that runs his own business before you do anything.

I have seen what diy'er can do to an RV with silicone. It ain't pretty.