Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #1

Single AC unit

Can anyone with experience tell us if a single AC unit works for a coach 30' and below in the south (90 plus degrees). The smaller units fit our budget, but I've heard you need 2 AC units in hot climate or it will not cool the coach. The salesman of course say no problem but I'm not sure I believe him........any input appreciated.....!
Marinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

I can give you a little feedback on our experience this past year and hope it helps. We have a 34 foot fifth wheel with one air conditioner. It is a 15,000 BTU unit. We began a 3 month trip beginning in August of last year. Outside of 2 nights in Illinois we never turned the air conditioner off. Our travels included Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and the Carolinas. By using window insulation and fans to move air in our coach we were able to keep the temperature s in the mid 70's. With that being said if I were to travel for any length of time in 90 degree heat again I would purchase a second air conditioner for the coach. Our our coach is a little larger than you are asking about and I hope this helps a little. IMHO yes it can be done but your single air conditioner will get a real workout. Good luck and Safe travels!
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I think that a single unit may be able to do it, but it is unlikely. There is only so much heat that can be removed and I believe you'll be at the edge. Also what if that single unit failed. It's always nice to have a second one, knowing that it will keep you cool.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Short answer is yes, sort of, but some thoughts: I assume you're looking at a class A since you're posting on the Newmar forum. Any Class A (short or long) has more difficulty keeping the front cool than the back due to the windshield and large windows in most coaches. So plan to cover or insulate those windows to keep temps down. Second, try to get a lighter paint scheme. If the outside is dark you'll be warmer than in a light colored coach no matter how much ac power you have. Third, plan to use the vents to concentrate the cool air where you want it : up front in the day time and in the rear at night. Fourth, prepare that you won't have the comfort of residential air in your RV in warm humid climates. If it's 80 inside but blowing cool air out the vents stay under the vents.

Don't break your budget just on this issue but good to have eyes wide open!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are right to be leary of anything a salesman says. You can tell when they are fibbing because their mouths move.

As for one vs two AC units. If well insulated, one would do, maybe. I would much rather two. We had a 28' coach with one, it was marginal on 90+ degree days.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #6

We didn't have too many issues with our 30 foot class C in Florida in the Summer. You aren't going to get below 70 degrees except at night, but we were always comfortable enough.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our first coach was a Tiffin Allegro Open Road 26 1A with only one slide in the bedroom. The one AC on the roof would keep it cool. We camped in Las Vegas when the temps were around the 110 degrees area. We did very little cooking inside.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Stay ahead of the heat and turn ac on early. And like already said keep windows covered. Two would be better and I'm pretty sure it's a build option.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:28 AM   #9

Our Baystar 2901 had no problem keeping cool with a single Air Conditioner, well into the high 90's in Yuma early November, though we did keep the UV blinds closed, the windows are double pane and our exterior is predominantly white. We have been getting temps into the 80's here in Palm Springs and we have no problem keeping cool, but as mentioned we start the AC before the interior gets too hot.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:23 AM   #10

Our current and previous unit are 30 footers and the one AC unit did a good job most days. If you stay where there is shade then should be no problem. But if you park in the direct sun probably not so well. Like others, start early on cooling. If traveling run the gen and AC if needed to keep things cool. If you wait until the inside is already hot then it may take a really long time to cool down.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #11

We bought a 32' Baystar used in Florida with one AC. The coach had come from northern climate. It had a hard time keeping up. It was one of the reasons we sold it. Also with one AC you have no back up. The one unit ran almost continually when the sun was on RV
Gheidbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Single AC unit

Look to dealers that sell in hot climates, my dlr Tom Lindstrom RV in CA orders them with 2 ac's. check out his new inventory online If you get only one and two is an option you limit resale. Well worth the $15- $20 a month. My 2 cents don't skimp on AC.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #13

Naturally two is better than one,but my small coach came with only one.When
we were keeping it at our Key Largo home and using it during the summer it kept cool, but never stopped running.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are buying a motor home for comfort and enjoyment get 2 air conditioners. I don't like the high cost of RVS, but I would hate the RV more if I had to sacrifice comfort because I saved the cost of the 2nd air conditioner. I ordered 2 (1 is the 15K w/heat pump) and got 50 amps service and larger 5.5KW generator installed too. After a day out and then return to a hot RV it takes only about 15 minutes to feel the coolness. When I am hot in my RV I don't want to wait for hours to cool down. Spend for what you want, it will cost less than trading the RV in for another one that you really wanted during the first few years.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single