Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Bmaintz8 (Bob and Kathy), best of luck on the new (to you) Mountain Aire!! Many safe and happy miles.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
When I lift the tag it has the wheelbase of a 40 plus 55 degree wheel cut.

2 or 3 feet more has not kept me out of spaces listed as 40 ft.

So, there are pluses and minuses. I suggest not ruling out a tag until you fully "size" it up.

Dave and Nola - RVM1
Same with a 45, raise the tag and with the wheel cut I can get in just about everywhere a 40 can go, I'd be more concerned with the physical size of the spot. Plus if you're in a CG just drop the toad before you leave the office then you can maneuver to your heart's content.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #59

Gordon
Other than a slight lowering from dumping air, motorhomes can only be jacked 'up', whereas a fifth wheel can be lowered a goodly amount in front. We camp in some out of the way places and find our 38 foot MH isn't like our old truck camper or our 27 foot travel trailer, or even our non-slide 35 foot pusher, all of which could be jacked up to level pretty easily. But now that we have slides and twisting the frame to level up isn't a good idea, we are finding a site that is already pretty much level to begin with is a bit more trouble than we anticipated. Now its pretty much find a level site for a big rig or move on to another. Many motor homers never have problems with this as they stay pretty much on pavement. Good to keep in mind if you like to stay at older, unlevel campgrounds such as those on the Blue Ridge Pkwy.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
Think of a bicycle and a bicycle with training wheels - a coach with tag is just more stable. Also Newmar is the only manufacture that offers a tag in a 40' - all other manufacturers start their tag coaches in the 43' range.
Im looking at a 1999 37' fleetwood pace arrow with a tag axle..
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
That sounds like a gas chassis. There's a big difference between a DP chassis with a tag and a gas chassis with a tag. Gas chassis with a tag usually have a very long overhang behind the drive axle. I've never driven one but they look like they would be a nightmare to drive with any kind of a wind. I could be wrong, just MHO.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
I had A 1999 Pace Arrow Vision 37 ' ( model 36b) with a tag..... we drove it for 150,000 miles and it was pretty much trouble free. ( I wish I could say the same about my Dutch Star ! )
The V-10 is just about bullet proof ... that year had the 2 valve head and can benefit from a Banks package. I put one on ours.
You should also look at Monroe or Koni shocks as the factory ones are terrible. I went with Monroes and was happy with the improvement . I came across a saf-t-steer for a good price and put that on... I really didn't see much difference.
I also put front and rear track bars on and with the shocks and track bars, the thing drove great... no issues with wind or semi's
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #63

are you SURE it's a tag axle? look at this video of the same '99 pace arrow 37s - no tag, only the single rear axle...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #64

and this '99 Pace Arrow Vision 36B is not a tag axle, either ( ? )

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #65

I confess I haven't driven a tag yet, but comfort drive does eliminate a lot is sway and wash from semis.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #66

RV Consumer Group low handling & safety ratings

Hi all,
So I'm looking athe RV Consumer Group handling & safety ratings, and notice they do not consider the tag axle in their wheelbase to length ratio, which gives a 40' Ventana with a tag (as an example) a very low score. I reached out to them and they indicated that this has been long discussed and that they are required to use the manufacturer's published wheelbase which for Newmar does not include the tag axle, only the drive axle. Additionally they cite potential traction issues with tag axles on poor pavement and gravelly roads.
While I understand their points, their low ratings do not seem to match consumer experience, at least from my research.

So my question is more from an engineering standpoint rather than asking for opinions.
Does a tag axle effectively increase wheelbase?

On one hand, since the tag axle is passive, I could see a rationale that it does not, and that the drive axle is the pivot point, but on the other hand how could having an extra set of rubber on the road NOT improve stability and handling even in most emergency situations?
It just seems like a simple wheelbase to overall length ratio is far too basic of a measure of handling and safety without taking tag vs. non-tag, frame stiffness, suspension quality and other factors into consideration.
Any chassis experts or engineers want to chime in on this one?
Thanks,
Bill
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #67
Community Moderator

Well according to the Association for the Work Truck Industry, A tag axle DOES extend the wheelbase

Tag Axle
An auxiliary axle installed in conjunction with the rear axle(s) of a truck chassis. A tag axle is installed behind the rearmost axle, thus extending the length of the wheelbase. See Tandem Axle.

http://www.ntea.com/NTEA/Serving_the...GlossaryT.aspx
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
I've owned a tag and currently full-time in a single axle. All of the comments about tag axles are true, BUT I would never base my decision on the number of axles a coach has, instead I base my decision on floor-plan and functionality of the unit. The bottom line is we tour all around the US, drive north in the summer and south in the winter and yet the total time driving amounts to 1% of the hours in the year. Therefore I focus on the 99% (the livability) of the coach much more than the 1% of the time I will driving it.
Your statement ring true, look at 10 or even 15 year old Motorhome most never see 80K miles. Tag or no tag. Worried about miles per gallon. Why?
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Well according to the Association for the Work Truck Industry, A tag axle DOES extend the wheelbase

Tag Axle
An auxiliary axle installed in conjunction with the rear axle(s) of a truck chassis. A tag axle is installed behind the rearmost axle, thus extending the length of the wheelbase. See Tandem Axle.

Truck Equipment Glossary - T
I agree. Tag axle does extend the wheelbase when loaded. When the tag is dumped or lifted the distance from the steer to the drive axles are the wheelbase.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I agree. Tag axle does extend the wheelbase when loaded. When the tag is dumped or lifted the distance from the steer to the drive axles are the wheelbase.
I agree 100% Gordon. This also totally defeats the claims that passive steer tags help turn in a smaller radius. If you dump the tag the pivot point is the center of the drive axle.

Peter