Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Single axle vs tag axle????

I need some honest opinion between a single and a tag axle motorhome. Is there a big difference in ride and comfortability and fuel economy? Any opinion will be highly appreciated. Tnx in advance.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Are you considering a 40 ft or longer coach ? Tags in shorter coaches is not that common.
I have never heard of anyone that traded in a tag coach and got a non-tag because they hated the tag!

Almost All pluses ! Only downside is extra tires to buy.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Easier to drive in the wind, not always chasing your tail as well as ride comfort. (Tags usually on bigger, heavier coaches) Pasdad1 is correct about the extra tires, but I personally think, after owning coaches without versus this one with, I wouldn't go back. I don't see fuel economy being a factor except for the fact that they are usually on the bigger and heavier coaches that don't get quite the economy of a smaller one. Randy
Old 05-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had both. Here is my opinion:

1) Ride & Comfort - BIG difference. No more being pushed around when passing trucks. No more "galluping" and "rocking" front to back when traveling down the highway.

2) Fuel Economy - If the exact coach where to be built with no other difference then, yes you would notice a slight loss of economy, due to the drag. Fact is there are more factors are play, such as additional weight, extra length, different engines, etc. Drop this item off your list of reasons to go with tag vs not.

You didn't mention safety, maintenance, or "coolnes" so I will as #3,4,5

3) Safety - YES - extra set of brakes!

4) Maintenance - Extra cost, again not a big deal, but there is an extra axle to grease, an extra set of brakes to check, and 2 more tires to replace.

5) Coolness - I wanted one based on the "looks" alone! The tags just look so cool!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #5

Marantha, yes I think there's a difference. We've had 3 coaches, a 40 ft single rear axle, a 43 ft tag and now a 45 ft tag. Tags seem more stable: they don't porpoise (bounce front to rear) and seem less susceptible to wind gusts and buffeting from oncoming tractor/trailers. When pulling onto the highway where there's a low curb or rain gutter the single axle coaches tend to rock side to side as you go over the uneven surfaces. There's much less side to side rock with a tag axle. And finally, with a tag you have 2 more wheels that are braking. Admittedly most tag axle coach are heavier than a single axle coach so the tag coach needs more braking, but overall I think the tag will give better braking. As for MPG, I couldn't compare tag to single axle because they all had different engines and were different weights. Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

Not much to add to redbaron73's post , except , NEED.

By the time you get up in length and weight on a coach that is offered with a tag axle , the coach needs the tag to support the weight that all the features of the coach offers.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
x2 on Red's post + the tag allows more CCC. IMHO the extra a) safety; b) stability; and c) comfort; far outweigh the extra cost of maintenance.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The "Only" mistake I made when I bought my first Coach.........it did not have a tag........next one will.......soon.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Imho, the current 42-43 ft. Motorhomes being offered by most all mfrs. offer the best bang for the buck. That 450 hp engine gives relatively great mileage and power never seems to be an issue from owners. Others have addressed the ride/comfort, stability, mpg, etc.....but assuming you can use the space, this is the best way to go.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #10

I've owned a tag and currently full-time in a single axle. All of the comments about tag axles are true, BUT I would never base my decision on the number of axles a coach has, instead I base my decision on floor-plan and functionality of the unit. The bottom line is we tour all around the US, drive north in the summer and south in the winter and yet the total time driving amounts to 1% of the hours in the year. Therefore I focus on the 99% (the livability) of the coach much more than the 1% of the time I will driving it.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #11

Think of a bicycle and a bicycle with training wheels - a coach with tag is just more stable. Also Newmar is the only manufacture that offers a tag in a 40' - all other manufacturers start their tag coaches in the 43' range.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We went from a 36' non-tag to a 43' tag. The difference in the ride and stability is immediately noticed and appreciated. Our mpg did fall about a 1 mpg, but this is a much heavier coach and larger, more powerful engine and I expected the mpg to fall.

As for 40' tags and since you didn't mention new or used.... our good friend has a 40' Monaco Dynasty that has a tag axle...and our next door neighbor has a 40' Country Coach with a tag. So I don't think Newmar is the only 40' mfg out there that has this feature.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
A question for the tag axle owners, what about maneuverability? Do you have any problems getting in and out of campgrounds with the longer coach? I have thought many times that it would be difficult to get around in many places with anything longer than 40', particularly with a vehicle in tow. Also, many states limit overall length to 60' which would be difficult to meet when towing. Our 40 coach with Jeep is right at 60' long. Although I have never heard of anyone being pulled over for being too long. Just wondering since we may upgrade one of these days.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #14

Very interesting post, I learned a lot following along. I'm just curious but are all mh with a tag DP?
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote