RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

Single Bath in Rear an Option?

I have read a lot about the felxiblity that Newmar allows when you order and that is a great customer service feature you dont find with very many mfg anymore. We are single bath folks which is not in the majority these days, we also like the rear bath option...That said, would Newmar make us a single rear bath unit that utilizes the forward bath space for a desk/workspace area? We are very happy with our Entegra, but for the next one we will have to have the ability to customize. Too much money being spent to be stuck with vanilla! Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #2

I'm sure they would. But with most of the rear bath units we have looked it we finally realized why the 1/2 bath.
With the slide in you can't get to the rear bath. So when traveling you would need to open a slide to access rear bath.
Unless you want a unit over 40' look at the Newmar 4045 mid bath with added table, computer desk unit

Old 12-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetranch View Post
I have read a lot about the felxiblity that Newmar allows when you order and that is a great customer service feature you dont find with very many mfg anymore. We are single bath folks which is not in the majority these days, we also like the rear bath option...That said, would Newmar make us a single rear bath unit that utilizes the forward bath space for a desk/workspace area? We are very happy with our Entegra, but for the next one we will have to have the ability to customize. Too much money being spent to be stuck with vanilla! Thanks
Think long and hard about the disadvantages of the single rear bath - IMHO just not RV smart/friendly. No access when traveling (Big Pain) everyone must walk through the Bedroom to use (Bigger Pain) IMHO just makes no sense in a 40-45' Coach.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

Earlier this year we looked at a beautiful used Dutch Star. The previous owner had deleted the mid half bath when he ordered it. That was a deal breaker for us. You couldn't access the rear bath when the rooms were in. The dealer kept coming down in price while we were there, and even emailed me 2 weeks after we were there offering a even further reduction.

So what ever you do, keep in mind the resale value of your modifications.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

Hmmmm, so then all models all lengths the bed blocks the bathroom? That would be a bummer...
Old 12-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Tough to avoid blocking access rearward when you put a 7 foot long bed in a 8.5 foot wide (max external dimensions) RV. However Newmar does offer an option that elevates the head of the bed and creates a few inches of passage at the foot. This does come with a cost and it eliminates the windows at the left and right at the head of the bed in the slide. Maybe you could look into this option to see if it works for you? Both sides of the bed elevate together, and this wasn't really desirable for us. Also since the 1/2 bath is there for us, we decided against.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

Thanks for your comments...
So, with 2 toilets do you get more black tank space?
Is there a difference in black tank space in Dutch Star vs MA or LA?
Old 12-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #8

Both the DS and MA have 45 gal. black tanks regardless of the length/model. The LA has a 60 gal black tank.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

It may be possible to choose a floorplan that allows for a mid ship bathroom that would allow substituting the half bath for a work area. It looks as though this floorplan would allow access to the main bathroom but I can't be sure. I'm sure the good folks at Newmar can help meet your goal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS 4381.png
Views:	61
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	147537  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #10

Newmar's not too receptive to doing any bath room changes. On the 4018 Dutch Star we tried to get them to install a regular flush toilet in the half bath like some of the earlier models had and they refused even though that toilet is directly above the tank. We also tried to get them to switch places with/or change the plumbing a litte between the 45 black tank and the 65 gal gray tank but that was also refused. Both issues really cut short our time at dry camping.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Might want to consider a 2016 DS 4312. It has a rear bunk that can be converted into an office. Or any bunk model could be converted into a desk.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two problems with "Single Bath in the Rear" options. At least with Motor homes, One also applies to Trailers. (And both may)

First: I have a bath and a half unit (motor home) the main, Full bath with shower is in the rear,, If I'm "Slides in" I would have to crawl over the bed to get to it,, Now if I'm... say.. In a hurry.. that's not going to happen.. The "half" is on the "Front of the RV" side of the bed, and easily accessed while pulled off on the side of the road.. Thus.. Well, let's just say there have been times I was glad of that......

Second: As you travel, unless you buy and use exclusively BOTTLED water.. And stick with one brand at that.. The water changes. (I drink FILTERED water).. This can result in .. Well, I call 'em "After effects" where you need to access one of those rooms and SOON..

You know how long a Minute is? (Depends on which side of that door you are one" When my wife was alive she used, almost exclusively, the main and I the half.. By agreement,, This worked out well.. 2 holes, no waiting.

Oh, bottled water... A local store sells bottled water, pre-chilled, 16.9 oz for $1.69.

You think Gas or Diesel is expensive.. well that is $12.80/gallon FOR WATER. Yup, that is the price.. How many bottles do you think I've bought at that price (HINT: ZERO).
Old 12-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
It may be possible to choose a floorplan that allows for a mid ship bathroom that would allow substituting the half bath for a work area. It looks as though this floorplan would allow access to the main bathroom but I can't be sure. I'm sure the good folks at Newmar can help meet your goal.
I like this potential set up.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are some mods that will be a major factor in the future if you plan on trading it in.

IMHO...even if you could get Newmar (or any other brand) to make such a floor plan...

Over customization to meet some very specific needs that are outside the normal RVer's needs will reduce the potential pool of buyers. Even some floor plans like bunks and handicap access models have a specific group of users that will want/consider them.

I can't imagine a market for a coach with a rear bath only for the reasons already mentioned. OTOH, if you can accept the potential impacts on selling such a set up, go for it. I hope I don't sound snide when I say that. Any purchase of these magnitudes are for your enjoyment and if your finances can support it, ENJOY!

Tags
single