Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #1

Sirius / navigation unit shortage?

My new 2014 DSDP 4369 is scheduled for delivery in March. I was just advised today that newmar has run out of the Sirius radio combined navigation units and can not put one in my new coach. Seems a bit strange as surely these can be ordered. Does anyone know if this is a factory defect issue that they are having problems with?

They now want to just put a basic radio only one in my unit which of course would mean I would have something else mounted on the dash???

Bit frustrated as everything else is locked down and good to go.
go oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #2

Frankly I like having separate displays for different functions so in my coach the radio/entertainment unit has the main screen Occasionally I will use the GPS for a large map overview. My camera screen in separate as is my main GPS. May sound a bit cluttered but it sure works for me. I routed the power lines to come through teh front end of the dash so that I have minimized power cables.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #3

Thanks Steve maybe this us a good way to go, just a bit unfamiliar. Also bad at electronics and wiring....
Old 02-06-2014, 04:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have the basic radio with Sirius, it's a nice unit and easy to use. For navigation, I bought the Garmin RV 760 and use their friction mount to set it on the dash. This way we can angle the Garmin toward either of us. The combo of built in radio and portable GPS works well for us. It also lets us use the GPS in the toad when exploring.

Jim
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

We chose to separate navigation and radio. I seen to many factory radios drop support for their in dash systems. Plus they, normally, run car nav.

My Copilot system and now my Rand Mcnally system have yet to take down a wrong path. I wish I could say that about the regular Garmin we had before I moved to trucker gps.

All that said: I would be annoyed to not get what I wanted because of a supply issue.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love Sirius radio and have it in three vehicles including the MH, but I would NEVER again have a built-in navigation unit in a vehicle! I had one in a 2010 Ford F250 and they wanted $200 to update the maps! JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Frankly I like having separate displays for different functions so in my coach the radio/entertainment unit has the main screen Occasionally I will use the GPS for a large map overview. My camera screen in separate as is my main GPS. May sound a bit cluttered but it sure works for me. I routed the power lines to come through teh front end of the dash so that I have minimized power cables. Steve
Will you post pictures of your dash board components? This would be helpful for those of us who like to do modifications.

Joe
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Me4Life View Post

Will you post pictures of your dash board components? This would be helpful for those of us who like to do modifications.

Joe
Happily Joe, I will be with the coach tomorrow.

Steve
Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #9

I purchased the in-dash navigation/sirius radio for my 2013 Ventana and it’s a disappointment. The unit is made by Clarion with Tom Tom navigation software. The radio is touch screen and very difficult to operate while driving. It usually takes multiple screen touches to move from station to station as the screen often doesn’t react. My wife has given up on it. The navigation system has it’s own set of issues and is much less user friendly than Garmin. I am getting better with it but it’s been a long slow process. However, I recently found the maps to be outdated while driving through Las Vegas and that started a new nightmare. I logged onto the Clarion site to update the maps and learned I would need a PC based computer system to update. Unfortunately, I use all Apple products. I contacted the manufacturer and was basically told I was out of luck. I then reached out to Newmar and let them know I was disappointed that this wasn’t disclosed in the sales literature. They suggested I “borrow” someone’s computer to do map updates and washed their hands of it.

So personally, I think you’re lucky that Newmar is out of these units (if it’s the same one). If I had it to do over (and I know I will before long), I’d purchase an in-dash navigation/radio with nicer features from a private audio installer and have it installed after market.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadweary View Post
I purchased the in-dash navigation/sirius radio for my 2013 Ventana and it’s a disappointment. The unit is made by Clarion with Tom Tom navigation software. The radio is touch screen and very difficult to operate while driving. It usually takes multiple screen touches to move from station to station as the screen often doesn’t react. My wife has given up on it. The navigation system has it’s own set of issues and is much less user friendly than Garmin. I am getting better with it but it’s been a long slow process. However, I recently found the maps to be outdated while driving through Las Vegas and that started a new nightmare. I logged onto the Clarion site to update the maps and learned I would need a PC based computer system to update. Unfortunately, I use all Apple products. I contacted the manufacturer and was basically told I was out of luck. I then reached out to Newmar and let them know I was disappointed that this wasn’t disclosed in the sales literature. They suggested I “borrow” someone’s computer to do map updates and washed their hands of it.

So personally, I think you’re lucky that Newmar is out of these units (if it’s the same one). If I had it to do over (and I know I will before long), I’d purchase an in-dash navigation/radio with nicer features from a private audio installer and have it installed after market.
I went by the Houston RV show on Friday and walked through the Newmar coaches on display. They had the Clarion NX501 Sirius/navigation radios installed. I did a search and this model has been discontinued. The new model is Clarion NX602.

Clarion NX602 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #11

It looks like the 13 and 14 instrument pod is the same, I stick the suction cup of my Rand McNally 7" gps right to the top of the pod.

That way the screen is right in front of me, but just below my eye line. Yet right above the speedometer.

I also added a 12 volt power port and a rear audio input jack to that side of the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	55726
Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Me4Life View Post

Joe
So please excuse the background I know it looks like I ran into a dollar store. I know it looks a little busy but it really doesn't distract nor interfere with my visibility. Both the DEZL and video monitor are suctioned cupped to bean bags dash weights. The UMPC is velcroed in place.

Steve
Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #13

With the attachment this time

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140209_103656.png
Views:	121
Size:	656.4 KB
ID:	55729
Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #14

Steve I am in the learning stage so be patient if my questions please. What is the toshiba unit for and how do you use it?