Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #1

Sirius radio

Hello all,

Sirius radio does not work on my new 2014 Ventana. When I select Sirius on the clarion radio it tells me it's loading, but that's it. Before I pull the radio should this be working or do I need to purchase a module to make it work?

I have not called newmar yet on this. Should the Sirius feature work as long as I subscribe to the service or do I have a loose connection possibly?

Thanks
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Steve -Just because the radio is Sirius capable it doesn't mean that it's set up for it. There is a separate module that needs to be connected to the head unit and another antenna. Your best bet is to call Newmar with your coach number and they can tell you if it was installed. I know on my 08 it came from the factory all ready installed, I just had to figure out how to get the ESN to show up.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #3

I think one way you can tell if the radio is Sirius capable or Sirius ready is wether you see the preview choice when you go to the Sirius screen. On our new DSDP, when you go to the Sirius choice on the radio one of the buttons allows you to tune in to a preview of music from Sirius, I think that choice is actually tuning into Sirus so you know it is ready to be activated.

Just my hypothesis

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Just seen an AD this morning on TV, Sirius Radio is free to all for a few days.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

Assuming you have subscribed to service. We had same issue with ours. Worked for ( 3 ) months then we could only get " loading " message. Conference call between Newmar, Clarion, and myself. Clarion rep. suggested I pull radio out ( plastic trim ring pops off, then ( 8 ? ) tiny screws. There is a cable connection between the radio and the antenna unit that is a press together plug. It does not lock together. Newmar applies black electrical tape to try and keep connection tight !. Ours had vibrated loose. Reconnected things, taped the **** out of it and Sirius radio works.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can see the back side of the radio.. Depending on the model and make there will be a connector there, It may look like a LAN connector (RG-xxx) or it may be a DIN type (round) small or large it may be kind of square (king of like a USB-B connector) or assorted other shapes.

IF it has a cable plugged into it to a box.. and that box has a small cable (Coax actually) then you likely have the hardware installed.

If the port is vacant, you do not.

NOTE: This is where you plug in the module.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Lit

National RV Owners Club
Free May 20 to June 2
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
Just seen an AD this morning on TV, Sirius Radio is free to all for a few days.
Siggy
Its not that simple....you have to call them and tell the Electronic ID number
Old 05-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Steve, I have the Clarion AM/FM/GPS radio with Sirius. If you have the same one that comes in the Dutch Star, it's ready to go. You need to go to the settings and it will give you the radio ID number. Next, you have to have purchased service from Sirius. I believe you can do the connection on line. If not, just give Sirius a call.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Steve, I have the Clarion AM/FM/GPS radio with Sirius. If you have the same one that comes in the Dutch Star, it's ready to go. You need to go to the settings and it will give you the radio ID number. Next, you have to have purchased service from Sirius. I believe you can do the connection on line. If not, just give Sirius a call.
I have the same radio, so I had a web chat with Sirius yesterday after I noticed on their web site that all new factory installed Sirius systems were entitled to a free trial period. I gave them my Sirius ID number that was displayed on the Clarion screen and he said these Sirius enabled radios were considered as portables installed by the dealer, thereby not considered "Factory Installed" and not eligible for a free trial. Oh well, I will just have to actually pay for it if I want it

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Bill View Post
I have the same radio, so I had a web chat with Sirius yesterday after I noticed on their web site that all new factory installed Sirius systems were entitled to a free trial period. I gave them my Sirius ID number that was displayed on the Clarion screen and he said these Sirius enabled radios were considered as portables installed by the dealer, thereby not considered "Factory Installed" and not eligible for a free trial. Oh well, I will just have to actually pay for it if I want it

Bill
I hate their customer service policies. Alot of bait and switch goes on. When they bought XM they got worse, there is no competition. Thanks FCC and the regulators that let them do it.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sirius/XM is ridiculously over priced, IMHO. We have 3 vehicles with Sirius radios in them. Have to agree on their pricing policies. If you threaten to cancel, they will drop their rate. I got tired of playing the game and simply quit using their services. I also strongly object that they automatically renew using your credit card. I told them I'd only pay by check. That allowed me to play the "I'm gonna quit unless your lower your price" game.

My solution is to put all my CDs on a USB stick and listen to them. Saves a bundle. A USB stick costs about $8 and holds well over 1000 songs. Select random when playing, and you'll rarely hear the same songs...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post

My solution is to put all my CDs on a USB stick and listen to them. Saves a bundle. A USB stick costs about $8 and holds well over 1000 songs. Select random when playing, and you'll rarely hear the same songs...

I'm leaning that direction too. Just like cable TV, there are very few XM stations that I care to use. Much cheaper to collect my own songs and replay from a USB stick.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never understood why anyone would pay for a radio service. Just a fad scam to separate me from my hard earned money.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio