Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
sirius radio installation

We just purchased a sirius radio and are now trying to figure out where we can mount the antenna. Does it have to go on the roof and can it be siliconed down to the rubber roof if it does? If anyone has any pictures of how they did their installation and where they ran the wires it would sure help. Future Shop told us they would do the install for $250. Sure would be nice if we could do it ourselves. We have an '06 Kountry Star 3910 DP.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Angela
Angela1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I were you, I would not make holes in the roof. The antenna may be mounted in the upper front cap. This will work if the cap is not metal. Just use silicone and mount it as high as you can.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a old thread that you maybe interested in. One of the ant's on roof is for a Sirius radio.
The ant is not the problem its getting the right match of equipment.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #4

I ran the wire up the A pillar and drilled a hole under the nearest clearance light, then sealed around the light base and attached the antenna with the supplied adhesive. It's still there and working after two years.
Goodturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Angela,
I've installed many of these radios. I've tried different locations inside the coach and front cap. In an aftermarket situation, I find no satisfactory inside location for the antenna. The only antenna install I will do is through the front cap and glued to the front cap. The wire is run behind the molding of the driver's side pillar. Then up into the compartment over the driver. The hole I drill is through the front cap and down into this compartment. When running the antenna wire, one must start at the roof and run the wire down to the radio. To fasten the antenna to the roof I use GOOP glue. I place the antenna with the wire coming out the rear and 1/2 over the hole that was drilled. This allows minimum exposure of the wire to the outside elements. I also use GOOP to seal the hole. One must check 24 hours later to ensure the hole remains sealed. After doing this for 5 years, I have had no leaks and no recall work for the coaches I worked on.

Drilling a hole in the cap is luck to miss any wires that may be lying about. When Newmar builds a coach there is no specific placement for the wires in the top of the cap. They are just laid in there before the insulation is installed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone.
Angela1 is offline   Reply With Quote