RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Sleep my number mattress option yes or no

I did not order this option based on dealers recommendation, he said they have seen more then one pop in elevation? Thinking I still should add and value your opinions if you have one
As always, thanks for your opinions -Stuart

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Stuart, we had a water bed for about 25 years. Got married in 1977 and it was our first bed and cheap to buy. When it finally went bad, we went with a Sleep Number bed. At first we liked it, but over time, it hurt my back and we just didn't wake up refreshed. After about a year we gave it to our kids and replaced it with an 18" tall pillow top mattress.

When we bought our coach, it came with a Sleep Number bed. We again gave it a try, but really disliked it. In our previous coach, a 2005 Diplomat, we had installed a quality pillow top mattress and often slept better in the coach than in the house. We replaced the Sleep Number in the Dutch Star with another pillow top mattress and are very comfortable.

Now having said all that, only you know what type of mattress you're comfortable on. Some like foam, some like air, some like a standard mattress. I don't know if I would gamble on something different than you sleep on at home.

One issue we found with the Dutch Star and I see it still hasn't been resolved. If you select a standard mattress that is taller than 10", it won't fit under the wardrobe cabinets, at least in the 4018, when you close the slide. We intend to order a new coach and this is something that will have to be addressed with either a cabinet adjustment or a motorized bed with the raising backrest.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #3

You certainly have to deflate the mattress before changing elevations.
We had a Sleepnumber mattress in our 2008 Royals International, we tried to get used to it cause it was the cream of the crop but in reality it was very uncomfortable - for us at least.
Try it before you buy it.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Stuart,

This is definitely a very subjective topic. Personally, we have two Sleep Number beds (one at home and one in a townhouse I use for work) that both the wife and I love. I like my bed softer and she has back issues and likes her mattress as firm as possible.

The Bay Star didn't come with that as an option, but since it has a standard Queen (non-radius corner) I had Newmar add the 120v outlet inside the bed frame for the pump and plan on moving our Queen mattress from the townhouse to the coach and replacing it with a King (DW preference).

Best thing you can probably do is head out to the mall and visit a Sleep Number store and "test" it out. Good luck! Oh and yes if you travel in the mountains, you need to remove air from the mattress so it doesn't pop.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I did not order this option based on dealers recommendation, he said they have seen more then one pop in elevation? Thinking I still should add and value your opinions if you have one
As always, thanks for your opinions -Stuart

We had a sleep number bed for many years & at first thought it great because you can change the firmness. After finding the right firmness we stayed at the same level for years--basically using it like a normal (much less expensive) mattress. So it was helpful in finding our correct firmness level but not worth the $ if you aren't changing your number. After aging a few more years (me, not the bed) I got sore & the sleep # no longer had the right # for me. We switched to Temperpedic & all the (nighttime) aches & pains went away. For our camper we put a Temperpedic-like topper on a regular mattress & it works great. My sister experienced the same with Sleep # & now has an (authentic) Temperpedic on top it & lives it. For our New Aire on order we will not upgrade to Sleep # but we will buy a topper. Sleep # is only special for changing firmness.
Lilfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all for your input, did you have a hard time finding a memory from topper that fit the RV King, if so where? Stuart

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you all for your input, did you have a hard time finding a memory from topper that fit the RV King, if so where? Stuart

Amazon: Tempur-Topper Supreme. Please note 2 potential negatives of memory foam:
1) smell--some people complain of an unbearable smell. We've had 2 mattresses & 1 topper with no problem. There was a slight smell when they arrived but it dissipated after leaving out for 24 hrs before use. I suspect people with heightened olfactory senses might need a longer airing out time.
2) heat--some people complain of an unbearable build up of heat between you & the mattress. I found this to be somewhat true with our fake tempurpedic topper but not our 2 real tempurpedic mattresses and I naturally run hot. I've read they've worked out this problem. I think there might be some fake reviewers out there--mattress competition is (ironically) ruthless.

Please also note if you find it too firm, have the kids/grandkids jump on it 'till it softens.
Lilfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - We have had a Sleep Number bed in out last two RV's. I wouldn't be without it. Both my wife and I like a very firm mattress and the Sleep Number is the only one we have found that is firm and stays that way.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #9

At home we have a sleep number settings are both around 50, in the RV I bought a 10" foam off Amazon, wife likes it but hurts my back. I sleep good at home.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

Sleep # bed with a 4" topper. This combination works well for us. I sleep well at 75, wife likes 45. Don brings up a valid point. The memory foam compresses when we close the slide, all is well in a few minutes after opening the slide back up.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We added a Sleep Number last January. Seems to help my arthritis in my hips. The DW doesn't seem to like it, but I do.
She runs the pressure up every morning when she makes the bed, so no issue to chose a lower number if we are changing altitude.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

We had a waterbed for at least 30 years. Tried a sleep number but hated it. Finally got a foam mattress at costco for home use and loved it. Eventually bought one for the Airstream and cut it down with a butcher's knife to fit the space. We now have one in our DSDP 3736 that we just shaved the corners off to fit under the wardrobe cabinets. Works like a charm.

Yoho, moho, the traveler's life for me!
sinjineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We have the tempurpedic at home. Got the standard mattress last year thinking we’d change it out anyway, but it worked great. This year the standard mattress has these little bumps in it, like button holes. Bought a foam topper to smooth out the bumps. Feels good but haven’t really had a good chance to try it yet. Hitting the road next week. Someone told me if you get the sleep number bed you lose the side windows in the bedroom. I wouldn’t like that at all.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Stuart,

We did order the Sleep # bed with our 18 MA and can say we truly love it, we have had a Tempurpedic at home for years and love it too. We just rolled the dice on ordering the sleep # bed.

Now for the topper to fit RV King. In our 5th wheel we bought a Bed in the Box from Costco, basically the Costco Tempurpedic mattress. I took it to a local mattress factory in Sacramento and they cut it down. The issue is you have to purchase a Cal-King foam topper as the Cal-King is 72"x84" and our Rv Kings are 72"x80" this worked great for us and since you only want a topper that is something you should be able to do.

Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote