RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #1

Sleep number bed questions

We are shopping for new mattress and considering Sleep Number RV King. Either the R3 or R5. (Our mattress height can not be over 9 1/2”. Here are my questions.
1). What model does Newmar currently use?
2). Our coach has under bed storage as I think the new coaches still have. (Foot of bed lifts up at about a 45 degree angle with a pivot point about 2 ft from headboard.). Does Sleep Number bed work with that setup?
We currently are not close to a Newmar dealer to check these things out. Appreciate any help that be offered.

enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #2

Sleep number beds generally have a 50% disapproval rating. Mostly due to their deceptive sales practices and their outrageous prices for what is essentially an air mattress from the 1970's. For RV'ers the complaints were mostly about them exploding when people drove up into the mountains...no 'relief' valves. And the poor quality control, and the poor warranty, etc..

Note that if you google 'complaints' about them, the first five listed are published by Sleep Number so should be ignored as they've been well known to be a bit shy of honest.

Here's the reviews I've looked at and back in June of '19 they only had 3 stars and now have 4 so they're improving? But after the stunts they've pulled on unsuspecting consumers I'll never buy from them myself. There's plenty of competitors these days.

Sleep Number Reviews

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Rich - We are on our third Sleep Number bed and have loved every one of them with no issues. I can't tell you what model was used in your year coach but all three of ours (they were queens) were above a storage area and flipped up like yours. No issue with that.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Rich:
Our first Sleep Number bed was in our 2008 Monaco Camelot. We loved it so much, we purchased a queen for our home. Since then we have upgraded to a king Sleep Number and are as pleased as could be. We don't have a SN in our 2019 DS, but will be purchasing one soon.
I'm not sure what SN model Newmar is currently using, so I can't comment on that. Call Newmar CS and they will be able to help you. The lifting bed is not a problem with the Sleep Number. In fact, its easier as the SN is lighter than a normal mattress. I did release air when we were going to be in the high altitude and refill when we arrived. I have to admit that I did forget to release the air a few times (OK, several times) and never experienced a problem with the mattress bursting.
I don't know about others, but we are extremely pleased with our Sleep Number beds and feel they have all been worth the premium price.
Just my opinion about my experiences and purchases.
Good luck,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rich!

We have had Sleep Number beds in our home for years. When we purchased our first new coach (2008 Monaco Diplomat) it came with a king Sleep Number bed. It was extremely comfortable. The only issue we had was one of the hard-wired controllers went blank. We called Sleep Number and they replaced the entire pump (it was upgraded to the wireless controller). When we ordered our current coach (2019 DSDP 4328), we specifically ordered the king Sleep Number bed again.

We have had no issues with accessing the under-bed storage. We do travel with the bed deflated, just as a precaution. We travel quite a bit in the Sierra Mtns of Northern California and don't want to take any chances with over-pressurization.

We have been very happy with the bed itself and our limited contact with Sleep Number customer service.

I'm not sure which model the Sleep Number bed is. A quick call to Newmar should answer your question.
DSDP-PZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #6

Hi Rich, I can't answer what Newmar currently puts in, but our 2013 MADP had a platform designed for the RV King Radius.

Our first Sleep Number was in our last RV (a Winnebago Journey) and we loved it. When we bought our current coach a year ago, it didn't have the standard Sleep Number; rather, it had a nice mattress that was just too hard for either of us. Just a few weeks ago the Sleep Numbers went on sale at Camping World for $1499 delivered for the R3 RV King Radius, which is by far the lowest we've seen them advertised for, so we jumped on it. They install easily. Being so light, they help the situation of lifting the platform to get to your under bed storage, although it's probably best to do with the air pressure turned down a bit. And, as already stated, if you'll be climbing in elevation/driving through mountains, Sleep Number recommends setting the mattress at 20 while traveling to allow for the expansion that happens with altitude.

You can go to any sleep number store and tell them you're interested in the RV model R3 or R5 and they can direct you to the comparable "residential" models that will feel the same. Frankly, the extra inch of foam on the R5 didn't change anything for us and we didn't see the value for the extra $$$ over the R3 model. We visited a store to lay on the demo beds there, but we didn't buy there.

Regarding quality over time. I'll just comment that I think the one we just got is of a higher quality material and cover than was in the 2007 Winnebago. It's not just a rubber air mattress like the older one was. Again....a visit to a Sleep Number store just to look, lay on a couple, and ask questions might be a good place to start.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #7

We ordered a sleep number when we ordered our DS. We really like it and are in the coach about 6 months a year. I did scare myself when we went into the mountains and I went to the bedroom and sat on the bed and it was hard as a rock. Lowered the pressure and no damage done. That was going from sea level to over 7000 ft. We will be getting a sleep number at home soon.
On our, the platform does lift up to a storage area and the slide out motor.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #8

Our 2019 CS came with a queen size Sleep Number. We didn't order it but we sure fell in love with it. We liked it so much we bought a king size for the house.

I've heard the rumors of beds inflating with altitude change but have never experienced it even in the Rockie's. Maybe if you drive over the Himalayas or have it inflated to the max in the first place (we don't). I don't know if Jim_HiTek has personally had a problem with Sleep Number or if he's just repeating what he's heard or read on the internet but he's the only one I've ever heard express any kind of an issue.

I went out and looked at ours but don't know how to tell the model of the bed. It is probably about 7-8" thick and the wife has a 4" memory foam pad on top of that. It has 2 separate chambers but a single remote. You select right or left control via the remote. Our bed does tilt up but it works the same with the Sleep Number as it would with a regular mattress.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Rich:
Our first Sleep Number bed was in our 2008 Monaco Camelot. We loved it so much, we purchased a queen for our home. Since then we have upgraded to a king Sleep Number and are as pleased as could be. We don't have a SN in our 2019 DS, but will be purchasing one soon.
I'm not sure what SN model Newmar is currently using, so I can't comment on that. Call Newmar CS and they will be able to help you. The lifting bed is not a problem with the Sleep Number. In fact, its easier as the SN is lighter than a normal mattress. I did release air when we were going to be in the high altitude and refill when we arrived. I have to admit that I did forget to release the air a few times (OK, several times) and never experienced a problem with the mattress bursting.
I don't know about others, but we are extremely pleased with our Sleep Number beds and feel they have all been worth the premium price.
Just my opinion about my experiences and purchases.
Good luck,
Mike
Same here, love our king in our 2017DS and love our king at home. No problems with either but we do air down when doing any serious climbing in the Rv.

Jerry & Judy, Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018
Freightliner, HWH Active Air
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We order our VT with a sleep number R5. Second sleep number, we had one in our CS also. Love the mattress. It sometimes takes a few tries to get the setting right
The only review that matters to me is what my back says when I get up on the morning
Old 06-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I called Newmar and they currently use the R5 model. Camping World does have a good sale on Sleep Number beds now but finding one in stock is tricky. We currently have a Southern Sleep Systems air mattress that has failed. I stopped at the Sleep Number bed store and tried out a couple that were comparable to the R3 and R5. I think the R3 at $1,500 is they way we will go if we can get one soon.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #12

We had a queen size SN in our 2004 Itasca and the only complaint I had was like as been said, just 2 camping air mattresses in a case. Fine as long as you stayed in the middle of your side air mattress, but if you got inbetween both mattresses the air would mash out to the side leaving you in the valley between and no support.
This newer one in our 2015 DS seems to have eliminated that but the numbers don't really mean anything. A 45 might be comfortable stopped in one site but the next location might have to be a 60 to be comfortable.
Our first SN was constant, a 45 here was a 45 some place else.
Do like the single wireless remote control .
Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #13

I checked my model/serial list for everything on my 2015 DS & there is nothing on there for our king Sleep number bed. I suppose it would be best to contact Newmar if you want to know exactly which model they use. I am also a fan of the Sleep number bed. Our SL bed at home is 16 years old & I'll never purchase a bed that's NOT a SL bed (home or motorhome). Frankly I think they are a bargain as we have never had a coil spring or foam bed last as long. To be fair we replaced one side air chamber some years ago when it failed & I believe that was $150 & ten minutes work.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #14

I'll share my experience.... our new 2008 Monaco Dynasty came with a king size sleep number mattress. At first I liked it as it felt like a normal pillow-top mattress.

Just after the first year the pump went out and Sleep Number replaced it. Then, the two wired wands went out and replaced by sleep number. At the end of the second year, half of the mattress kept losing air. Not sure why but messing with it I could get it to fill.

Finally, I couldn't get it to fill while on a trip out west (we were stopped near St. Louis). And, the wands were showing blank on the read-out but would work. I got so sick of messing with it we went to a mattress store and bought a king pillow-top Beauty Rest mattress and had it delivered and installed in the coach. I gathered up the Sleep Number (piece of garbage) and threw it into the dumpster at the RV park... the whole dad-gum thing!

I will never have a mattress that requires a pump and electricity and/or maintenance.

Our motorhomes have enough maintenance without worrying about a Sleep Number mattress.

When I sold the Dynasty, I took out the king Beauty Rest mattress and put it in a guest room at the house. I bought a regular RV mattress from Camping World to replace it just to have a mattress on the platform (it was still wrapped in plastic for the new owner).

If you gave me a Sleep Number mattress, I would immediately throw it away. But for those that love'm, I'm happy for you.

Safe travels,
Mark