Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #1

Slide Adjust after subfloor replacement 2000 DSDP???

I have a new to me 2000 DS and am in the process of replacing the carpet with new flooring. I unexpectedly found a rotted subfloor on the FWS. After much labor and learning I have replaced the subfloor. Everything seems fine but I need to make adjustments to the slide alignment. I have seen the PDFs for adjustment but I am having trouble understanding if there is an adjustment for my problem:

The gap (reveal) between the slide and the coach opening is not the same on the front and rear. The slide is plumb and going in evenly but I want to fine tune the reveals. I did try to reposition the slide where it attaches to the outer bar. I removed the Lag bolts and used a strap and jack to pull the slide back to even the gaps. I moved it an 1/8th of an inch according to marks I made on the bottom of the floor. It was too far the wrong way. I have since put it back to where it was and Im hoping there is an adjustment .

I do understand the height adjustment bolts on the outside bar, and the stopping point all threads. I know also to have the coach leveled on the jacks when checking fit.

I have been poring over the site and have learned tons Thank you!! This is my first post, this site has been a true blessing.
BRB Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #2

When the slide is closed...what are the gaps? A picture with measurements overlayed will be the most accurate way of describing this.

Trying to figure out if your slide is too far back, or slanted. ie: which gap are you saying is different? The sides or the top? Is the top sticking out (proud of the sidewall) more than the bottom?

If you only replaced the floor of the slide...that should not have affected slideout gaps. If you replaced the main floor under the slide rollers...then that will affect the slide gaps. But either way, if the slide isn't square and level with the chassis, then it should be adjusted. BTW...make sure the rig is on a level solid surface and you level the chassis before making any slide measurements. And move the slide fully out then in once you have leveled the chassis before making your pictures / measurements.

Did you replace the old wood / subfloor with same thickness material? Did you change the carpet for hardwood / vinyl? Is the roller to chassis dimension same? If different thickness under the roller, then there is also a possibility you need to replace the rollers with different heights that are available from Newmar.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB Hand View Post
The gap (reveal) between the slide and the coach opening is not the same on the front and rear.

(It shouldn't be too difficult to center the slide.)

The slide is plumb and going in evenly but I want to fine tune the reveals. I did try to reposition the slide where it attaches to the outer bar.

(Moving the attach point slightly, on the outer bar(s), all of them, should do the job. Many slide arms have slotted attach points for this very purpose.)

I removed the Lag bolts and used a strap and jack to pull the slide back to even the gaps.

(What I picture here doesn't sound like a very good idea. Not enough precise control with a strap & jack.)

I moved it an 1/8th of an inch according to marks I made on the bottom of the floor. It was too far the wrong way.

(If it moved the wrong way, why didn't you go ack to your start position plus another 1'8" in the right direction?)

I have since put it back to where it was and Im hoping there is an adjustment .
When I adjusted mine to center it, I first marked its position, slide to arm, loosened the bolts and used a hammer on the arm to tap it in the desired direction 1/8", all three arms, then measured to see if additional centering was needed. Moving the attachment position of the arms won't change the slide position of the slide in the opening until the slide is cycled one time.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #4

What Dave L says above. If the new carpet is thicker or thinner than the old carpet then you may have to purchase the correct wheels for the slide.

The PO of my '04 DSDP replaced the front carpet with ceramic tile and ran into that issue. It took a couple of tries until he got the correct rollers and now it works and seals fine.

Again, pics would be helpful to see exactly what you have going on.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:27 PM   #5

Thank everyone for the advice! I was able to get things adjusted. I re-leveled and cycled the slide once. With the slide out I jacked up the slide to remove the weight from the outer edge, then I moved each arm toward the front (where the larger gap was) and when it went in it was just right!

Now I get to go about the business of installing the new flooring.

Again thanks for the replies
BRB Hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, floor, replace, replacement, slide