Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

Slide Controller

Finally getting around to purchase a spare slide controller for our 2015 VTDP. I recall some discussion about Newmar using a less expensive controller at the factory and some owners were going with another more robust and reliable model. I just can’t find that thread. If you’ve replace your slide controller, what brand did you purchase? Did you purchase it at Amazon? Do you have to program it when swapping out with a failed controller, or is it truly plug n play? Thanks
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your talking about the C controller its been dropped by Newmar there is a write up in this thread about 1/3 the way down.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #3

Thank you 007. I missed this post. I don’t know if my 2015 has the C-Storm or not. Do you know what the issue was with the C-Storm?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #4

Update: I found out that I have C-Storm slide controllers. Does anyone know if it is plug and play in switching from C-storm to KMG controllers? Does the new controller need to be programmed?
Old 05-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
From what I can remember they were always failing and C-Storm said run a ground wire directly to unit, more work just for simple operation..
You needed to read this link at same location explains the new controller.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Update: I found out that I have C-Storm slide controllers. Does anyone know if it is plug and play in switching from C-storm to KMG controllers? Does the new controller need to be programmed?
This is just a way out there guess answer. Yes it will be a plug in replacement and yes it will require a small "learning" process after install. Old method was put the controller in "learn" mode & that takes about 2 seconds. Then go in & run the slide in/out a couple times & the controller learns it's limits. Then go to the controller & switch out of learn mode & you are done. Carrying a spare controller doesn't sound like a bad idea. BTW how much is a new KMG unit?
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Carrying a spare controller doesn't sound like a bad idea. BTW how much is a new KMG unit?

Parts rep at Newmar informed me that on my coach there are two KMG controllers (one each for the bedroom and kitchen slides). There is also a KIB controller(s) for our full wall slides.

The KMG are not identical. One has a higher load spec than the other, so they are not interchangeable. So two KMG would be necessary. Then there is the KIB FWS controller(s). Anyway a full set of controllers is something like $750 from Newmar.

Parts says that they keep plenty in stock, so replenishment is not currently an issue.

I am just going to wait and see on a spare. If a controller starts acting wonky, I will order the appropriate controller. We are retired and as such generally don’t have a schedule to maintain.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #8

Well my old controller fried my motor somehow (or maybe vice versa). Either way, it was an expensive fix... they upgraded the controller to whatever new controller they are installing in the new coaches. Seems to be more robust. It was a $235 or so part direct from Newmar....
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I just had our VLDP in for replacing the kitchen slide controller under warranty. Slide would go out but not come in.
All four controllers (Kitchen, Living Room, 2 BR) are KMG. The two front controllers are APN-0159. The new kitchen slide controller is the one on the far right with the orange dot.
The original kitchen one was only rated at 11 amps and couldn't supply enough power to the controller motor. The replacement is rated at 21 amps with a peak of 35 amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	287193  

Tags
slide