RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #1

Slide gap to body on bedroom slide

Hello,

Just got around to checking the "slide gap" between the different slides and the body sidewalls on my 2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 Spartan, and I see that there is a *significant* difference for the front vs. rear gaps on the bedroom slide (other two slides are all pretty even). On the bedroom slide though, the gap on the front edge (bottom to top) is only about 1/8", whereas the gap on the rear edge (bottom to top) is about 1/2". See the two pictures.

Is that anything unusual/anything to worry about?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201201_201215924.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	309951   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201201_201226108.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	309952  

sartor is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If youíre having other warranty work done Iíd have them adjust it while they are at it - sure Iíd drive to Nappanee just for that. But I have one with the same condition and the price they quoted to fix was fairly steep - Iíll look it up later. But apparently Newmar thought it should be addressed, and they place a high value on the adjustment. I think it included about five hours of labor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	589260FC-3DF5-491D-BD57-29463EA472F7.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	309962   Click image for larger version

Name:	1655700C-F912-4A15-9681-7B0D7D50FBB7.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	309963  

Old 12-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
yup here it is - 5 hrs. Mine looks just like yours. And works fine.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1F262E69-378E-4432-9B27-53935D615DF2.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	309959  
Old 12-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same situation of my front PSO. I was at NIRVC in Lewisville TX. for warranty work and asked about adjusting the gap. It took a tech about an hour to adjust mine while I watched. It wasn't that big a dealer, for him, just needed a couple floor jacks and socket wrenches.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
I had the same situation of my front PSO. I was at NIRVC in Lewisville TX. for warranty work and asked about adjusting the gap. It took a tech about an hour to adjust mine while I watched. It wasn't that big a dealer, for him, just needed a couple floor jacks and socket wrenches.
Maybe five hours is a worst case estimate and they only chare actual job time?I’ll ask in a week or so when I talk to them about some other stuff. Like 10 hours to install a remote controlled spot light..
Old 12-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #6

Regarding the reply by R.Wold, I'm a bit confused: are you saying that "your's looks just like mine" *after* you paid the $700 to have it "adjusted," and still "works fine"? Or are you saying that it *used* to look like that, but now it's been fixed and works fine (whereas it didn't before)?

The key question I'm asking is whether or not this is something that needs to be "fixed," or can it be left as-is and that's "just fine"?

Tom
sartor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartor View Post
Regarding the reply by R.Wold, I'm a bit confused: are you saying that "your's looks just like mine" *after* you paid the $700 to have it "adjusted," and still "works fine"? Or are you saying that it *used* to look like that, but now it's been fixed and works fine (whereas it didn't before)?

The key question I'm asking is whether or not this is something that needs to be "fixed," or can it be left as-is and that's "just fine"?

Tom
Ok, sorry about that. Meant to say “not sure I’d drive to Nappanee for that” - and yes that makes my whole statement a confusing contradiction. Too many hours on the road in the last week - over 3k since Friday afternoon. But that’s another story.

I have not had mine “fixed”. I just bought the coach in June and while it was in excellent shape, over the last 7000 miles, I’ve developed a list of things I’d like addressed.

This slide is one of them, just because I like “fit and finish” to be as nice as possible. The slide works well with no issues as is, and has been in and out many times and I think it’s fine. Also the previous (original) owner was obviously not concerned.

But while I’m there in Nappanee with it in their shop anyway, I figured they might as well adjust the thing, so I got an estimate. I was surprised to see 5 hours estimated, and I’m not sure it’s worth $700 to me just to have the gaps consistent and symmetrical, since functionally it works as it should and isn’t rubbing or wearing anywhere and doesn’t hesitate or bind or make any weird noises.

That help?

On the other hand, If mine were under warranty, Id have them adjust it even if it’s just for ascetics. Also labor is $115/hour prior to March 31st and if it’s likely to only take an hour or two, like Stang37’s example, I will have it done.

But it would have to be malfunctioning for me to pay $700 to address it, although I’m perfectly willing to pay $9,994.30 for active air at HWH next March, and I’m perusing bids on installing a retarder (I’m sure that will be around $7500). So.....priorities.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has the gap been like this or did it change? Mine moved forward and was going to rub so I adjusted it. They didn't use a washer or lock washer which is why mine slid forward. If it's covered let them do it. If not it's an easy fix. I think I have pictures.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Has the gap been like this or did it change? Mine moved forward and was going to rub so I adjusted it. They didn't use a washer or lock washer which is why mine slid forward. If it's covered let them do it. If not it's an easy fix. I think I have pictures.
Iíd like to see more on this....
Old 12-02-2020, 11:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Attachment 310085There are 4 bolts on each side that go thru the wood and the frame under it. The frame has slotted holes (underneath so you can't see them) so it can move forward and back. Mine had no washers on the bottom, just the nut which was half in the slot. Because it wasn't secured properly I think it moved forward from fast stops . I opened the slide about 3/4. You don't want it open or closed all the way. There were 2 screws on each piece of wood under the bed, remove those and lift out the wood. I removed all 4 pieces of wood but don't think the back 2 have to be removed. I loosened the 8 bolts and used a pry bar to push the slide to the rear ( under the bed). It moved so easy I went to far and had to pry it forward a little. I put nord locks, flat washers and a lock nut on each one. It has not moved sense. When I called Newmar they said to loosen the transtorque bushing. Looked on Newgle and it said the same. I asked here and was told the same thing. After 3 days of trying I realized it has absolutely nothing to do with the adjustment of the slide (my bedroom slide). It was an easy fix once I figured it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3057.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	310084  
Old 12-03-2020, 01:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Attachment 310085There are 4 bolts on each side that go thru the wood and the frame under it. The frame has slotted holes (underneath so you can't see them) so it can move forward and back. Mine had no washers on the bottom, just the nut which was half in the slot. Because it wasn't secured properly I think it moved forward from fast stops . I opened the slide about 3/4. You don't want it open or closed all the way. There were 2 screws on each piece of wood under the bed, remove those and lift out the wood. I removed all 4 pieces of wood but don't think the back 2 have to be removed. I loosened the 8 bolts and used a pry bar to push the slide to the rear ( under the bed). It moved so easy I went to far and had to pry it forward a little. I put nord locks, flat washers and a lock nut on each one. It has not moved sense. When I called Newmar they said to loosen the transtorque bushing. Looked on Newgle and it said the same. I asked here and was told the same thing. After 3 days of trying I realized it has absolutely nothing to do with the adjustment of the slide (my bedroom slide). It was an easy fix once I figured it out.
The transtorque bushing allows adjustment in and out so if the slide is closed on one side but has a gap on the other, you can loosen the transtorqe bushing and adjust the slide to make it close evenly on both sides.

But as you found it doesn’t affect front to rear alignment - just in and out. My slide in need of adjustment is the door side front. I’ll take a look and see if I can find similar attachment points and hardware.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:27 AM   #12

Quote:

I have the same issue with my bedroom slide, 2005 DSDP. I looked everything up and it kept sending me to the Transtorque bushing as you stated. But my brain keep telling me that would not solve the issue so I did nothing. and just left the slide gaps misaligned. It drives me nuts to see the gaps off but oh well. Now I have a new project when I uncover it in a few weeks. This makes total sense to me.

Thanks for the information and picture 10 fan!
Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How would they adjust the FWS? That would be a big beast to shift.... Thatís where my gap issue is (too close up front vs the back).
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
How would they adjust the FWS? That would be a big beast to shift.... Thatís where my gap issue is (too close up front vs the back).
All the info one should need if mechanically adept.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf full_Standard_slide_room_information.pdf (859.7 KB, 10 views)

Tags
slide