Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #1

Slide issue

Anyone had any luck aligning a slide out? Went to break camp this morning and slide would not close completely on the front side like it skipped a hole on the track now won't go in or out hanging out about an 2 inches on the front side tight on the rear any ideas?
Boat wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Which coach year model etc and which slide?
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Which coach year model etc and which slide?

If you click on the OPs avatar you will see the info
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need to release the torque nuts and with help manually push in the slide.
A crows wrench is used to release them and they have two torque values 125 & 145 lbs.
In QT's 1 & 2 all slide information is located and this is the old slide spec.
With the slide in your compartments will have motor and shaft exposed to work on.
You may need to check the motor location wiring to see if you have the 12 volts for motor operation and did not break the gear housing or blow the fuse.
If you can get the motor working you can try to move slide in or out and see if the slide reorients itself, if you accidentally forgot to release the locking bar that may not work and the nuts will need to be released.
You can drive the MH to a dealer to have fixed as long as its not raining.
All the links below in my signature have information for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #5

On our Essex we found out from Newmar that the slides should be operated at ride height. This means when using slides the coach has air bags filled. After slide are out then level coach. We have had Newmar's for 20 years and this was news to us but they were correct and haven't had slide out issues since going at ride height.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

To be more precise, consider this advice I received from a Newman tech at the recent rally. "look at the reveal, and bring out the slides whenever the reveal looks good... at ride height or after leveling.". The trick is to reverse the order when bringing the sleds back in... if you can remember.

This make some sense... but if the coach is tilted left or right, that big salon slide might take a bit more power to fight gravity... either coming in or out.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #7

Follow the links 007 provided, the Newmar PDF is quite good...I adjusted mine recently.

Before you begin set the slide about a foot out from the wall where you can easily measure the distance from the slide to the wall at each end of the slide. Mine was out about 1/4 inch at the rear end of the slide.

Next, the hardest part, was loosening the transtorque bushing, I use a 24" breaker bar with a crows foot and really had to use a lot of force to break the nut free. Once loose keep loosening the nut to break it free a second time which will be much easier. I only loosened the bushing to the rear of the motor because I wanted to move the rear inward 1/4".

I used vice grips to turn the shaft because of limited access but you can try a pipe wrench if you have room..it will turn very easily and a tiny turn of the shaft moves the slide a fair distance. Measure both ends of the slide to wall distance until they are equal then use a torque wrench with the crowsfoot to re-tighten the transtorque bushing. I used a 24" torque wrench and my 1" shaft required 145 ft lbs of torque.

I have not had any problems since. It was much easier than I thought it would be...and a side benefit is I now carry the tools and knowledge to deal with any slide issues while travelling.

Any questions please feel free to PM or ask here.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your instructions Polyian always good to get hands on experience from someone.
Will save this thread in Problem Solving QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3290336]Thanks for your instructions Polyian always good to get :bow: hands on experience from someone. :thumb:
Will save this thread in Problem Solving [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-quick-tips-and-easy-mods-3-a-113631.html
QT's # 3.[/URL][/B]
I thank You, 007, without your links I never would have been able to accomplish this. That's what's great about this forum, everyone contributes in some fashion to the greater good.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide