Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #1

Slide Locking Arm Noise?

On my kitchen slide the rear locking arm slams and bangs while the slide is going in or out. I have the Ventana LE model and I am checking to see if this is OK or if I need to get it looked at. I can stop my slide midway and reach the rear locking arm and move it also. I cannot do this on the front slide.

I am checking to see if this is something I need to get looked at before my year warranty runs out.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
On my kitchen slide the rear locking arm slams and bangs while the slide is going in or out. I have the Ventana LE model and I am checking to see if this is OK or if I need to get it looked at. I can stop my slide midway and reach the rear locking arm and move it also. I cannot do this on the front slide.

I am checking to see if this is something I need to get looked at before my year warranty runs out.

I'm thinking maybe the mounting brackets to the body and/or the slide may be out of alignment or loose. Does it make noise just once or constantly? Or does it tighten up and then let go and bang?
Partman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partman52 View Post
I'm thinking maybe the mounting brackets to the body and/or the slide may be out of alignment or loose. Does it make noise just once or constantly? Or does it tighten up and then let go and bang?
It will make the noise one time every time I take the slide out or bring it back in.

I can't tell how the noise is made being I don't want to put my hand in there while the slide is moving. I can duplicate the noise by stopping the slide about midway and reach in there and manually move it.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Get on a ladder and just make sure the locks at the top of the slide are secure which is done while the slide is out.

Is the noise coming from top or bottom? Can someone listen from outside while this occurs to better isolate where it’s coming from?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Get on a ladder and just make sure the locks at the top of the slide are secure which is done while the slide is out.

Is the noise coming from top or bottom? Can someone listen from outside while this occurs to better isolate where it’s coming from?
You most likely have the automatic locks where I have the manual ones. When my slide is out I cannot see the slide locks.

I have listened both inside and outside and the noise sounds like it is the locking arm.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #6

Another issue is if I stop the slide while it is going out it will not continue out again unless I bring it back in all the way.

Is this normal?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Another issue is if I stop the slide while it is going out it will not continue out again unless I bring it back in all the way.

Is this normal?
Mine may be different but, if I stop it, when I restart it reverses direction. However. if stopped again, it will reverse again. So:
1) push switch -starts going out.
2) push switch -stops.
3) push switch -starts coming in,
4) push switch -stops.
5) push switch -resumes going out.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:38 AM   #8

My manual locking arms are locked inplace using a tool lock push the arm in place in a similar fashion to over extending your elbow. If your's are similar, there is a metal sleeve or band on the elbow that will fall into place. However that produces what I would call a clank not a bang. Could be something different.
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbikes1 View Post
My manual locking arms are locked inplace using a tool lock push the arm in place in a similar fashion to over extending your elbow. If your's are similar, there is a metal sleeve or band on the elbow that will fall into place. However that produces what I would call a clank not a bang. Could be something different.
I have this arm also. I will feel in there to see if I have the sleeve or band you you are referring to
Old 04-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #10

Ray, there’s nothing wrong. Look at the front lock arm and you’ll see what makes the clank sound. We don’t even lock the rear kitchen arm because of the tightness of the space.
If your lock arms rattle while driving slide tennis balls against the joint.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
Ray, there’s nothing wrong. Look at the front lock arm and you’ll see what makes the clank sound. We don’t even lock the rear kitchen arm because of the tightness of the space.
If your lock arms rattle while driving slide tennis balls against the joint.
Thanks Bill.

I plan on giving the kitchen slide a real workout on this next trip to see if the issue of it not working comes back again. I want to make sure nothing is wrong before my warranty runs out.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks Bill.

I plan on giving the kitchen slide a real workout on this next trip to see if the issue of it not working comes back again. I want to make sure nothing is wrong before my warranty runs out.

I don’t blame you. Don’t know when our next trip will be. I had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago and am moving kinda slow.
The pain meds made me sick and I’ve lost 20 pounds.
We don’t have any plans until Hoots in September.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
I don’t blame you. Don’t know when our next trip will be. I had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago and am moving kinda slow.
The pain meds made me sick and I’ve lost 20 pounds.
We don’t have any plans until Hoots in September.
That is not any fun. Try to get well and don't get sick.

We are not going to this Hoot's rally in Dallas.

Tags
noise, slide