Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #1

Slide locking arms

The previous owner said he never locked them. I'm not debating that. I purchased the tool from Newmar since it was not in my coach. I was able to lock the main slide but not the bedroom slide. It seems the force required would be to great and I don't want to break or bend anything. Is there any adjustment for this? Anyone else experienced this?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the lock arms, I never lock them, if you forget to un-lock them and move them out, you will break/bend something since the motors are very strong, because they are geared down.
When driving or when ignition is on, they slides are electrically locked out and because of the gear ratio, the slides can't move , unless the gearbox is
broken.
So.....use your own judgment.
PS, I don't think there is an adjustment other then repositioning the arms.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

I have one slide where the lock arms are somewhat loose. It is my understanding that they can be shimmed but I have not investigated this.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
A couple of our arms were too tight from the factory. The dealer adjusted them and they work much better, we can engage them by hand. We engage the front locks on our slides but not the rears.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
A couple of our arms were too tight from the factory. The dealer adjusted them and they work much better, we can engage them by hand. We engage the front locks on our slides but not the rears.
I lock and unlock all three slides by hand. I had no idea what this strange looking tool was for until about a year or so ago. So now it is the tool that holds up the bed to access the storage bins under the bed.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

This my second Newmar product and i've always used the locks, I assumed they were put there to be used. I can lock all mine by hand except the ones that can't be reached and on those I use the tool. Some require a bit more force than others.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador 01 View Post
This my second Newmar product and i've always used the locks, I assumed they were put there to be used. I can lock all mine by hand except the ones that can't be reached and on those I use the tool. Some require a bit more force than others.
These are way to tight even with the tool. The brackets for the arms are fixed on both ends and I see no way for adjustment. Hopefully I'm missing something.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
These are way to tight even with the tool. The brackets for the arms are fixed on both ends and I see no way for adjustment. Hopefully I'm missing something.
This is why I ordered the VERY expensive auto-locking mechanisms on my 2015 Ventana. At first I didn't know about the funky standard locks. When we saw them in action, I immediately updated my order with the factory.

On our current (much less expensive) Winnebago DP, we have electric actuated slide locks on all but the small bedroom slide. I naively assumed the Newmar would have a similar system.

The standard Newmar manual locking arms are an embarrassment on a coach of this price.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi noserider,
I use the manual locks 100% of the time. It is just part of the routine. An easy way to remember if the locks are locked is using the tool. When the locks are unlocked, put the tool inside the steering wheel. If the locks are locked, the tool is stored on the floor behind the driver's seat.

The reason the locks should be use has nothing to do with the slides deploying on their own. It has to do with forming a solid, mechanical bond with the side walls. The makes for a much studier structure and minimizes horizontal "slide creep" that can happen over time.

Now to your question. With the slide closed, go outside and look at the space between the slide and the box opening the slide goes into. This opening is called the reveal. Is the reveal even on the left and the right, top and bottom? Has the slide run out of reveal and is actually running into the trim on the side of the coach? This is the main reason the manual locks are difficult to lock. I can lock my bedroom slide locks (all 4) with my skinny, lacking any muscle mass arm.

If the slide has moved and there is no reveal, post here and we can go through the process of getting the reveal back.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #10

One of our bedroom slide locks was too tight from the factory. There was absolutely no way to lock it, even with the tool. You could see the slight reveal from the outside and the difference on that slide from it not being locked. It is currently at the dealer being adjusted now, along with a few other warranty issues. All the other slide locks were able to be adjusted by hand or easily done with the tool. We lock all of our locks when we travel.
chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi noserider,
I use the manual locks 100% of the time. It is just part of the routine. An easy way to remember if the locks are locked is using the tool. When the locks are unlocked, put the tool inside the steering wheel. If the locks are locked, the tool is stored on the floor behind the driver's seat.

The reason the locks should be use has nothing to do with the slides deploying on their own. It has to do with forming a solid, mechanical bond with the side walls. The makes for a much studier structure and minimizes horizontal "slide creep" that can happen over time.

Now to your question. With the slide closed, go outside and look at the space between the slide and the box opening the slide goes into. This opening is called the reveal. Is the reveal even on the left and the right, top and bottom? Has the slide run out of reveal and is actually running into the trim on the side of the coach? This is the main reason the manual locks are difficult to lock. I can lock my bedroom slide locks (all 4) with my skinny, lacking any muscle mass arm.

If the slide has moved and there is no reveal, post here and we can go through the process of getting the reveal back.
Gary

I'll have a look when I see the coach in a couple days. From my observations I have noticed when the slides are in there is a small reveal 1/4" that looked pretty even on the top of both slides from left to right. This was actually one of the reasons I wanted to get the tool to lock the slides to see if this gap would close up after it was locked. On the main slide which I was able to lock it did close up the gap or what I think you are calling reveal.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi noserider,
As you look up and down the front and back of the slide, the reveal should be the same all the way (from top to bottom).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
x2 in what Gary is discussing as to why slides should be locked to prevent creeping forward or backward jamming into recess opening.
Newmar has always had locks and that is why they have come up with the http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newm...em-235568.html ,AUTO mechanical locks, on the newer coach's so no one will have to worry about locking or not locking discussions they, NEWMAR , has decided it for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi noserider,
As you look up and down the front and back of the slide, the reveal should be the same all the way (from top to bottom).
Gary

I know when I inspect my retracted slides I am going to find the reveal only along the very top of both slides from left to right. I know this because I wondered why it looked that way. Could you describe the procedure to adjust this?

Tags
slide