RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #1

Slide locks deploy with slide open

On our 05 4304 madp the rear curb slide locks deploy when the slide is open has anyone had this issue or any ideas on where to start looking
Tia Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-JUNELL View Post
On our 05 4304 madp the rear curb slide locks deploy when the slide is open has anyone had this issue or any ideas on where to start looking
Tia Steve
I've had this happen a couple of times. Mine is caused by holding my finger on the switch too long. They have always returned before the slide starts to move in.

JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There is a sensor for the locks which interfaces with the slide. It prevents things like the slide trying to open if the locks are closed. The sensor may be sensing that the slide is closed and closes the locks.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi STEVE-JUNELL,
For your year of coach, the sensors determining when the locks open and close are notorious for getting out of adjustment or going bad. The lock needs to be disassembled to determine if it is an adjustment or part replacement is required. If it is warm and you want to try a DIY, it can be done. If it is cold or DIY is not your thing, a tech knowledgeable of Newmar coaches should be able to handle the complaint with ease. They are well versed in this complaint.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are links to slide info and slide locks in QT's 1 & 2.
Here is one of them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

[QUOTE="GaryKD;1949245"]Hi STEVE-JUNELL, For your year of coach, the sensors determining when the locks open and close are notorious for getting out of adjustment or going bad. The lock needs to be disassembled to determine if it is an adjustment or part replacement is required. If it is warm and you want to try a DIY, it can be done. If it is cold or DIY is not your thing, a tech knowledgeable of Newmar coaches should be able to handle the complaint with ease. They are well versed in this complaint.[/QUOTE
I'm not afraid to give it a shot but how do I know if it's just an adjustment or a replacement issue
Old 03-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-JUNELL View Post
Tia Steve

I have seen that on my drivers side front slide. Locks came in when retracting slide and did not hit. I looked up troubleshooting for the system and found a warm day to look at the problem then they worked right and have ever since. They have probably been cycled 75 times since. Have yours locks done this multiple times? I now spray the locking mechanism with slides out with Corrosion X.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi STEVE-JUNELL,
I can not answer your question in post #6. Consider giving Newmar a call.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #9

This happened on my coach on one of my first trips. I have no idea why they would deploy after the slides open, I'm guessing somehow the cycle got off by half a cycle. It's been a long time since I looked at the documentation on the controller, but to the best of my memory the slides will not operate if the lock arms are not in the "unlock" position. If the slides are open and the lock arms are "locked" mashing the button to move the slides will probably "unlock" the arms and try to move the slide out and just shut down because the slide is already out, the next time you mash the button the slide should come back in and you should be back on cycle. I would still keep an eye on the lock arms.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moisture getting into the locks are the biggest problem if you spray something to eliminate the moisture and lube you may fix your problem.
We had had people remove them and take apart to clean them up inside.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #11

[/QUOTE
I'm not afraid to give it a shot but how do I know if it's just an adjustment or a replacement issue[/QUOTE]

Try the adjustment and if that does not work, you can try swapping the controllers. You have 4 slides so 4 controllers. Just keep in mind the controllers have an adjustment for 'force' thru a 'amp limit' potentiometer. The calibration of this pot. can also be done fairly easily by following the Intellitec controler documentation. (007 link above)

The controllers also have 3 LEDs that come on, 1 for slide closed, and 2 more for arms deployed, good for troubleshooting.

One more neat trick is you can disconnect the controller and run the slide and the lock arms by using a wire and shorting 12V to Motor+ or Motor-, depending on direction you want. Have to be real careful. Go in the wrong direction and you can break things. Run the slide with lock arms opened and definitely break something...
Old 03-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #12

Happens on our every now and then. Just hit the button again, when the locks get all the way in, hit the button again and stop the process. Works for me. When it's time to go, the slide should go in with one hit of the button. After 1 or 2 cycles, they should work as designed.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Mine does that occasionally, usually just after I have had the 12 volt supply shut off for awhile. They get confused if their in or out! Just as MERCERC44 described, I just hold the button while listening to the arms come back in and release the button as soon as they are all the way in. The next time you cycle the slide in and out they correct themselves. Nothing to worry about and Newmar techs are well aware of the problem.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #14

I have the same motorhome, on our year/model the slides are controlled with a controller and utilize current and proximity switches to know what to do. There is a proximity switch located in each of the lock arms to indicate if the lock arms are locked or unlocked and one on the frame rail to indicate if the slide is in the retracted or extended position. A couple of problems have been noted with this vintage motorhome. If the lock arms are unlocked and the slide will not move the proximity switch is probably "stuck" and thinks the lock arms are locked, just tap the lock arms with a hammer, this will "unstick" the proximity switch and the slides will operate, if the problem continues the proximity switch will need to be replaced. Another problem is with the proximity switch on the frame rail, this proximity switch tells the controller to lock the lock arms if the slide is retracted. If the slide extends and the lock arms extend the proximity switch on the frame rail is probably stuck and thinks the slide is retracted. If this happens often, try to tap the proximity switch on the forward frame (next to the cog) in the cargo bay to see if it frees it up, if not a new proximity switch is in order.

If you've ever had a problem with the proximity switch on the steps and worked through that then you have a pretty good understanding of how the proximity switches operate and should be able to work thru the slide issue.