Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #1

On one of my slides, L rear, when the slide is done moving out, the locks open..I figger this is not good because of weather/dirt getting into them , plus it looks REALLY funky....any suggestion on a fix
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
cwg

One of mine did that during the PDI. The tech said it was because I had interrupted the sequence of the slide going out, as in taking my finger momentarily off the switch.It will want to start the sequence of wanting to reverse itself and come in. Upon running it out and in a couple of times for full extension and retraction it got back the timing.

If the slide lock always ends up out after extension, then what I have experienced may not apply. I agree with you that I did not want the locks out exposing the hole to weather, insects, etc.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
cwg

By the way, thought of another thing. The tech said it is perfectly OK to run both slides in the front or rear out in repective pairs, but I have found that because of the time of completion of the cycle is different, I was lifting off one or both fingers and messing up the cycle. Must be why I am not a fighter pilot because I now lack the dexterity to do more than one thing at a time. Unless I am in a hurry, I do one slide at a time.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 AM   #4

Larry, I would be more concerned about the lock possibly staying out during retraction and doing damage. The control modules are located in the basement usually about midship. If you get stuck somewhere and can not retract the lock on that slide, you can power it through another working module by swapping the two multi plugs from the failed board to a good module. That is providing the wire bundles are long enough and then you must use that modules activating button to operate the failed slide.
Better yet, better get it fixed.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:42 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwg:
One of mine did that during the PDI. The tech said it was because I had interrupted the sequence of the slide going out, as in taking my finger momentarily off the switch.It will want to start the sequence of wanting to reverse itself and come in. Upon running it out and in a couple of times for full extension and retraction it got back the timing.

If the slide lock always ends up out after extension, then what I have experienced may not apply. I agree with you that I did not want the locks out exposing the hole to weather, insects, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was told this was the cause as well....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:55 AM   #6

Are only certain controllers affected by momentarily lifting your hand from the switch? The switches are so small and so high and I have to twist at such an odd angle to see the slide as I press the switch that my finger is always slipping. But I've never seen the lock out when the slides out.

I've seen the lock stay in when it should lock (a quick rap on the lock solved that one - per Newmar). Occaisionally I hit the button and nothing happens. But it always works after a while.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:58 AM   #7

Thanks for the tip Nut. I am aware of what is going on and listen for the arms to do their thing before the retraction starts, but if it doesnt correct itself, I'll get my local (110 miles) dealer to look at it
Old 11-28-2006, 03:09 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Something else that you may not have heard....While we all know you MUST keep your finger pressed on the button when the slide is going in or out, I learned in Nappanee that you can LET GO when slide is in and the locks start to close as the locks will close on their own at that point.
As soon as the lock motor starts on the one side I let it go and start bringing in the opposite as I'm certainly not capable of doing two things at once...

Peter, if you find YOU'RE in contorted positions operating the controls, how about us "vertically challenged" folks?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:34 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by footdoc:
On one of my slides, L rear, when the slide is done moving out, the locks open..I figger this is not good because of weather/dirt getting into them , plus it looks REALLY funky....any suggestion on a fix </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had this happen a couple of times and found I could do several things. One you can start the retract operation and the lock arms will come in and then I stop the cycle (leave my finger off the button) and their in for the duration of my stay. The other was to disconnect the power and apparently the controllers reset because the problem did stop (and knock on wood) has not repeated after a lot of operations. Just in case I bought the PSO Lock Arm Test Tool 81944 $178.79 at Newmar so I can run them (and the slide) in if necessary.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 AM   #10

that's exactly what I did...not exactly normal convenient operation tho...I think I'll past on that test tool and git r fixed if it persists!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:51 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by footdoc:
that's exactly what I did...not exactly normal convenient operation tho...I think I'll past on that test tool and git r fixed if it persists! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have added that I didn't buy the test tool solely or even primarily for the lock arm problem, it was a secondary benefit. The primary reason is that if one of the slide controllers fail one can run the slide in using the tool until it can be fixed. With four boxes to possibly fail, I felt the cost in relation to all the other bells and whistles on the rig this was a minor investment and if I buy it will ensure I never need to use it.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:28 AM   #12

ecker, I also bought the switching tool from Newmar. As you said, having it will mean never needing it. Works for me.

Peter
Old 11-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #13

Interesting notes.
My 2005 EXDP does not require me to keep my finger on the slideout switch. I just hit the toggle switch and let go. The unit start the speech and five seconds later is starts and completes the slide in or out cycle all by itself. I do stand there and can press the switch again if there is problem. That second press during the cycle stops everything. The next switch toggle (third time) reverses the unit and it will complete the cycle in reverse until it is fully open or closed.
Does everyone else have to hold down their slideout switches?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #14

I think for 06 and up Newmar altered the operation in the name of safety...you have to hold the switch for the full cycle