Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

Slide Motor Leaking Oil

2001 Dutch Star living room slide motor seems to be leaking oil from where the motor mounts to the housing. I am guessing that there is a gasket that goes between the motor and the housing, the motor is tight and don't see any cracks in the housing. Has anyone else seen this before, am hoping that the two motor bolts are what holds the motor to the housing. The oil looks like a light weight oil, I am thinking of using Lucas gear oil to replace the oil in the gear box. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. Dick
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #2

3 of my slide out motors eventually leaked oil. Newmar says they are not serviceable and recommends the motors be replaced.

I did replace my motors, but then Newmar recommends that they replace all the related parts. Apparently, it is cheaper to cut the bar and replace everything. The labor to just replace the motor can be substantial for an older coach.

I had my first slide out motor replaced (motor only), but the techs reported that it was very difficult and they almost gave up (almost damaged the bar). I had the other 2 completely replaced.

The motor runs around $800, the related parts were around $800 and the labor was $400-$800. The living room slide motor is easy to work with, so the labor should be at the lower end.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Common issue. I try to keep the bolts tightened.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #4

Update

Today I had time to look at the slide motor. The motor is held in place with the two small bolts on the end of it, then it will just pull out of gear box. Found that the gear box grease which is very light has come out of the gear box motor bushing and was in the motor case which when the motor gets warm it runs out down the side of the gear box. I cleaned the inside of the motor and put a small amount of grease into the housing thru the bushing or shaft hole then bolted the motor back on to the gear box. There is no gasket there, just goes back together. Hope it will be a few years before it leaks again.😀
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #5

I am having the same issue. I'll see if I can do what you did. The price to fix this from Newmar is about 1400 each. Pretty pricey to fix a drip. Hard to know what to do. It the slide stops working then all of a sudden, it is cheap!
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
First, be sure where the oil (grease) is coming from!! If indeed it's weeping from JUST the seal between the drive case then tighten the connecting fasteners between the case components. Having said that, check all four of your mounts to ENSURE they are not cracked!! Look at the base of the mounts on the case for cracks or evidence of grease seepage!
Old 10-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #7

Don't think the motors have oil in them, rather a grease. I think what you are seeing is the oil coming out of suspension in the grease and since there is no seal to the motor case it leaks a bit. Personally, I would just keep it tight (part of my maintenance) and wipe it clean. These aren't high speed motors so I don't think its a huge issue.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:58 AM   #8

I looked the motors over once again yesterday. I am inclined to agree with you. I think the gears turn slowly and these will probably be fine for years. I guess I will see!
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:39 AM   #9

Before I bought my coach from the prior owner he had a motor leaking a little tiny bit. He had it replaced but it is dripping again. It’s not a lot, a few drops a year. I just look it over and wipe it clean when I tighten the bolts each year and unless I see some major issue don’t plan on touching it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPete View Post
I looked the motors over once again yesterday. I am inclined to agree with you. I think the gears turn slowly and these will probably be fine for years. I guess I will see!
I've opened the gear case of a failed motor... They are PACKED with heavy grease!! Small amount of seepage will be inconsequential!!

Tags
leak, slide