Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #1

Slide Motor Replacement

My 2012 Canyon Star 3856 slide motor, on the front passenger slide, is leaking. I have talked to Newmar and they advise us to replace. I am considering doing it myself. How difficult is it to replace and be sure the slide is in alignment? Should I do it myself or pay someone who knows what they are doing? If you did it yourself how long did it take?
JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

If you are mechanically inclined the motor replacement won’t be that bad. The trick is to time the new motor to stop at the correct place both going in and going out.
cliffj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #3

I don't think CS uses timing or limit switches to stop the slide. I think the CS slide controllers use current limiting to stop the slide both full in and full out so no timing is needed.

cliffj's Monaco probably uses a different control system than Newmar.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

I'm not super handy but I managed a bedroom slide motor replacement. Long story short, we finished 2018 with a fall trip to Grand Lake CO & I put coach away in my warehouse. Next weekend I washed & opened slides & that's when bedroom slide motor broke free from mounts. My situation was a dream scenario since I was home, slide was out, & we were done for the year anyway. Hardest part was loosening the TT bushing the motor replacement was very quick. After I called Newmar for reprogramming instructions for the controller & that was so easy a child could do it. Certainly not all applications are going to be as easy as mine. Pic below is broken motor mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471 (002).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	262014  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERRELLA View Post
My 2012 Canyon Star 3856 slide motor, on the front passenger slide, is leaking. I have talked to Newmar and they advise us to replace. I am considering doing it myself. How difficult is it to replace and be sure the slide is in alignment? Should I do it myself or pay someone who knows what they are doing? If you did it yourself how long did it take?

Define leaking? If it’s dripping a couple of drops of oil, I would wipe it clean and tighten the torx screws that hold the two halves together. That’s oil coming out of suspension from the grease. Mine have done that for years.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:08 AM   #6

Brought the problem to Action RV, a very reputable repair service in the Houston area. They got my insurance to cover the motor replacement. BUT, after 3 days they were not able to remove the 145lb torque nut. They said the only way they saw to remove it was to cut the bar. which the insurance would not pay. They also said that the slow leak should not cause a problem and just keep an eye on it.
JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, slide