Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Slide out

Got another problem that I need help with. I had to change out the the filter system under the sink the other day. When I got all the water lines etc back together I cut the water back on and the water lines came out of the filter and water spewed everywhere. I got that fixed but now my living room/dining room slide will not come back in. Since the slide controller is under the sink I assumed it was the circuit board shorted out. I guess it got wet when the lines spewed the water. I let it dry for about a day and tried it again. The light comes on at the switch when it is pushed all that happens is a click, click sound and it is coming from the slide controller. I cant tell where it is coming from on the circuit board a relay or what. When the switch is pushed I tested the 12 volt and the ground lines going to the board and there are 12 volts going to the board. But when I test at the motor 1 and motor 2 legs the motor 2 has 12 volts and I have nothing coming out of the motor 1 leg. I assume that this means that the controller board is bad. But I hate to buy a controller biard if it is the motor that was shorted out and theboard is good. Does any one know how I can check to see if the motor is good before I but a controller board. AlsoI have looked at the owners manual and I've looked for how the manual says to put the slide in manually. It says use a 5/8 socket and there should be a 5/8 nut by the motor and all I need to do is crank it in with the socket. And wouldn't you know thatI cany fine anyting all along the bar that a 5/8 socket fits. So can anyone tell me how to manually put my slide in also.Imay have to take it to a dealer to fix the slide but I need to get the thing inside to drive it to theshop. However Istill think its the slide controller board. It there is someway to check the motor I could me sure.Any one that can help me with these2 problems I would appreciate it. I have got some much help on this site that I have fixed all the problems that I have posted. Thanks Guys, for coming through for me.
mikeyrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Boy what next, if you pull the plugs off board and take it out from under sink area and use a hair dryer on low and see if you can dry any moisture out of it. If you could open the cover maybe better also. I don't think its your motor shorted out, its from the control board because you got your slide out.
If that doesn't help can you apply 12 volts to the motor with out control and see if you can move slide in. If you have two motors maybe difficult.
I'll look through my pictures for manual operation.

I see nothing in this picture on shaft that will take a large wrench to turn the shaft for manual operation, after breakfast I'll check my slide and get back.
If non of this works maybe Newmar parts can get control board to you pronto.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike,
Put 12 VDC directly on the motor leads. One only needs to apply the power for a second or two to determine if the motor works. I do this when helping people move their slides when the control board or other electrical problem is keeping the slide from moving.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrph View Post
...when I test at the motor 1 and motor 2 legs the motor 2 has 12 volts and I have nothing coming out of the motor 1 leg...
Huh??? It's a 12vDC motor. On lead is 12v+ the other is 12v-. To make motor go the other way just reverse the + and -.

It sounds like you are testing the leads by grounding one of the voltmeter probes and then "testing" the 2 wires going to the motor. It's not AC. Probe both wires directly you'll see either - or + reading on the voltmeter.

Am I missing something? Do as garyKD said, hit the motor directly w/ 12VDC. If the motor going wrong way reverse leads.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not understanding motor leg 1&2 as far as I knew we have 1 motor. Do as Gary said and watch movement of slide you want it to move in NOT OUTWARD. Reverse battery lead if it does.
I looked at my slide shaft there is a nut welded or forged in the shaft. Its located in compartment to the left of your motor compartment. Its close to the left compartment wall. You will need a large crescent wrench to turn the shaft with 6-8 people help pushing in the slide as you turn the shaft. You have a ramp that the rollers have to climb but once they reach main floor slide should roll in.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, I charged a 12 volt battery overnight and checked it and was putting out 12 volts. I went to where the motor was connected to wires coming from the control box, One was red and yellow, which came from the board labeled motor 1. I jumped the + leg of the battery to that red and yellow wire and nothing happened. I then jumped the + to the black and yellow wire which came from the board labeled motor 2. Guess what nothing happened. I called Newmar they said asI thought there were not 2 motors its just labeled that way, one moves the slide out and the other moves the slide in.but neither leg moved the slide with 12 volts attached which makes me think the motor. On the other hand I have 12 volts going into the control board and the leg labeled motor 1 has 12 volts coming out of it. However the leg labeled motor 2 has no voltage coming through the board which makes me think the control board. Confusing it sounds like it could be both the control board and the motor since I cound not move the motor with a battery attached. Sorry but still confused.
mikeyrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrph View Post
...I went to where the motor was connected to wires coming from the control box...
I may not understand exactly what you meant above. Unless you can trace/verify the entire wire run from the controller to the motor itself you'll need to do this: Go to the motor itself. It sounds like you applied 12v at the controller end of that wire pair????

Apply 12v to the 2 wires directly at the motor. You may need to cut the wires or scrape insulation away to expose the conductor if there is no connector nearby. This will eliminate any "issue" except the motor itself. There could be a wiring issue from the controller to the motor hence what you did will still not isolate the motor itself.

Of course another way is to find a fellow Newmar owner who happens to have the (now banned) super special and now secret slide out manual override control box tool..... There are a few of these still in circulation....