Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide Out Big Bang

When I bring in my kitchen slide when it gets all the way in it’s like it doesn’t know when to stop. It continues to pull and the result is a loud bang as the chain skips a tooth. Is there a sensor to kill the power or what? Ready to cancel the holiday trip and detour to the mother ship.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #2

I was ready to reply with info on adjusting the load sensor on the slide drive controller ; until I re-read your post and saw " chain skips a tooth ".
I haven't seen any Newmar posts discussing chain driven slides so I'll wait for other members to respond and perhaps learn something today.

Have you seen the other posts about Newmar slide motor mounting bolts working loose ?
Old 05-15-2022, 02:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yes it on the controller. I believe there is a good thread on this in the sticky section.
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #4

There is no chain involved that I know of. What's happening is the sprocket drive is jumping a notch in the cog drive plates on the bottom side of the slide.

Run the slide all the way out & look up under the bottom at the 2 cog drive plates- you will see a number of obround holes in these 2 plates- do any near the outside edge of the plate look like the rear edge has been buggered up a little? If yes you need to adjust the slide controller cut out amps so it doesn't continue to run after the slide is all the way in. Call Newmar & there's a procedure out there showing you how to do this. I think there's also a Sticky thread on this subject here on this form.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bill- there are two chains on the shaft. 4 sprockets. 1 gearbox and one drive motor. Two of the sprockets are are at either end with the gearbox and motor in the middle. There is chain that that engages the cog that mates up the plate with holes in it that actually moves the slide. Now the idea that the problem could be a limit switch is sound since the BANG happens when the slide is all the way in but finger is still on button.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In addition I can see the chain jump a tooth on the lower aft cog/sprocket
Old 05-16-2022, 02:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If your slide is coming in to far the trim at the bottom of the slid is screwed on from the bottom side and it could be snapping those screws. It was happening on mine. I have the same set up with the chain drives. The controller is in the bin just in front of the peg board bin on mine. I believe you can adjust the amp load so it stops sooner.
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #8

My apologies TwinCamSAN- I have owned 4 Newmar coaches & have seen over 400 and I have never seen a chain drive for the slides. I can't believe they would make 2 different drive systems in the make, model year?

Has anyone else out there seen these chain drive slides?

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Capt Bill-no apologies necessary, believe me. I will ask you though since we have the same year, have you removed the two plastic covers in the top of the cooler bay and the third bay back passenger side. Or do you have those at all? I’m going to take a pic and will post.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:26 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 3rd bay from front, passenger side. 2nd bay has motor and gear box and the 1st bay has the other chain drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B453AF90-7EF7-44AC-8F78-215CB3DCC02C.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	365738   Click image for larger version

Name:	56653508-7B3E-4E2D-A61B-016B7609B7B0.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	365739  

Old 08-31-2022, 07:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just to wrap up this saga… I ordered from Newmar the drive plates, then drove down to NIRVC in Atlanta to have the slide inspected and repaired. Due to the slide skipping a tooth, a bearing had to be replaced as well. Slide is fine now.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
My apologies TwinCamSAN- I have owned 4 Newmar coaches & have seen over 400 and I have never seen a chain drive for the slides. I can't believe they would make 2 different drive systems in the make, model year?

Happy Trails
There are actually3 different systems in use on the slides. Two involving round shafts one of which has small chains and sprockets. I know it’s hard to believe but it’s true.

I was walking a gentlemen through checking his slide bolts and he had two different systems on the two slides in his 4369. One (kitchen) was the square shaft and the other was round shaft with the trans torque bushing, chains and sprocket!

I believe they do this just to mess with our heads ������
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post

Happy Trails
On our very first out of state trip on with our then brand new DS, we had the chain break on out kitchen slide. Loosened up the trans torque fittings, pushed the slide in with help from others, tightened the trans torgue to get out of the CG. Managed to find a repair link ( master link) to get things temporarily fixed. When we got home the dealer put on a new chain.
To the OP, there are probably a couple things to do. First, you can adjust the chain tension -- there are adjusting bolts.. this will prevent it from jumping a tooth . Second, find the controller and adjust the pot so that it cuts current when the slide get to it's stop point.

edit -- I just saw that this was an old thread and the issue has been resolved....
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out