Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #15
GVA

This nut?

This is halfway between the two sprockets away from the motor. Once I loosen… if the motor is still attached, will I still be able to pull it out to even it up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	349468  
GVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #16
GVA

I don’t have wrench big enough to use. Scared to use pipe wrench if it’s as hard to loosen As I assume it will be then I might strip it
Old 11-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #17

That is your trans torque bushing. It takes a 1-1/2 inch wrench to loosen it. Once loose you can line up the slide.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:06 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA View Post
This is halfway between the two sprockets away from the motor. Once I loosen… if the motor is still attached, will I still be able to pull it out to even it up?

Read this.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/trans-torque-bushing-166551.html
Old 11-21-2021, 05:09 PM   #19
GVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjlunda View Post
That is your trans torque bushing. It takes a 1-1/2 inch wrench to loosen it. Once loose you can line up the slide.
Will I have to replace the bushing or will original be ok to Re-use?
Old 11-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #20

The picture in #15 is the same one as mine. Bloody tight it was. By the looks of the teeth marks on it, it may be someone has already had a pipe wrench on it. Actually a pipe wrench will be ideal to turn the shaft after you loosen the nut. I did mine by cranking it shut with the motor as normal. Loosening the shaft nut, then cranking in the protruding side (with a pipe wrench!) as tight as I could to match the other end. Retightened the torque nut and done.

I may have used the pipe wrench on my nut too, come to think of it. With a pipe wrench you can add a "cheater pipe" over the handle to give you more length and leverage. Can't do that with a big combination wrench. Maybe with a big adjustable sort of but you risk rounding the nut that way.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:21 PM   #21
GVA

Quote:
Ok I bought a wrench. It loosened really easy and stopped.. then I had to add a little force and it made a loud popping noise. Then it was loose again and stopped. I assume the same thing will happen again once I finish loosing the trans-torque bushing. (I haven’t taken it all the way off . Wanted to wait until I talked with you guys about it.) The Newmar service rep I talked with says he would be surprised if I didn’t have to buy another Trans-torque bushing ($80) because of how old it is… says it won’t loosen very easily after 28 years… any insight?
Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Ok I bought a wrench. It loosened really easy and stopped.. then I had to add a little force and it made a loud popping noise. Then it was loose again and stopped. I assume the same thing will happen again once I finish loosing the trans-torque bushing. (I haven’t taken it all the way off . Wanted to wait until I talked with you guys about it.) The Newmar service rep I talked with says he would be surprised if I didn’t have to buy another Trans-torque bushing ($80) because of how old it is… says it won’t loosen very easily after 28 years… any insight?
Don't take the nut all the way off!
Try tapping the shaft with a hammer, than loosen again, tap again,etc. You should be able to check progress by seeing if you can move the slide. I think when I did this on my old one, I only needed to go 1-2 revolutions on the nut.
Let us know if if this solves your problem
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #23

Yes, don't take it all the way off. All you want to do is break the connection between the two shafts so you can move the one independently right quick then you will buttoning it back up again. Rapping on the shafts close to the joint with a hammer can be very helpful for sure. They are very tough, no need to be delicate. Just don't hit the nut area directly.
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #24
GVA

You guys are FREAKING GENUISES!!!

Surprisingly simple just as I was told! I bought the wrench loosened the nut..then went inside and visited the forum… got reassurance that I was doing it correctly. Went back out this morning tapped on it a couple times and nut became very loose. Used pipe wrench to move it but to no avail… I’m 6’3 and 200 plus lbs and it was a no go… so I retracted the slide watched from the inside and only one side moved. Stopped reversed and it went all the way back out and they were even. Grabbed wrench. Tightened her up. 160 lbs torque ok really 200lbs with all my weight off the ground lol. Closed it again with my fingers crossed! When it shut all the way closed… I did a dance my wife says I should NEVER do again!!! 🤣 see pics!

Then On to my next issue… replacing the Rubber seal around the outside top of the slide…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D9A6E2B-0947-45B7-9B44-EB5261DF4F63.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	349833   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBEF802B-0636-41E9-93DC-EB0CF028D5E7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	349834  

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #25

Now that you've got that sorted I thought I might mention some differences in our coaches Im noticing. I've never seen a MountainAire around the same model as my KountryAire in person, just the brochures.
It appeared earlier that your propane tank is on the driver's side? Mine is at the right front. Just behind and below the passenger seat area.
Also mine has three forward driver side compartments where yours seems to have three and a half. Never noticed that before. Does the small one go all the way across? Or for the propane? What?
Is your slideout canopy missing or do you just have it off?
You have better cargo compartment doors. Mine have some brittle trim all around them that hailstorms beat up and no one anywhere sells replacements for.
Old Today, 10:10 AM   #26
GVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Now that you've got that sorted I thought I might mention some differences in our coaches Im noticing. I've never seen a MountainAire around the same model as my KountryAire in person, just the brochures.
It appeared earlier that your propane tank is on the driver's side? Mine is at the right front. Just behind and below the passenger seat area.
Also mine has three forward driver side compartments where yours seems to have three and a half. Never noticed that before. Does the small one go all the way across? Or for the propane? What?
Is your slideout canopy missing or do you just have it off?
You have better cargo compartment doors. Mine have some brittle trim all around them that hailstorms beat up and no one anywhere sells replacements for.
My propane tank is on drivers side front compartment. The smaller compartment at the ends of the slide out houses some sort of fuel pump? I’m not sure about any canopy over the slide out . Mine has the big canopy on passenger side over entry door. Slide out only has window canopies. As I mentioned in my original post. I haven’t had it very long. Previous owner let the interior get in really bad shape. I bought bc it has 47,000 original miles and she purrs like a kitten. Know the slid out is all the way out I can see the rotten floor underneath the slide out. The aluminum pan holding the floor up under the slide out floor is very loose. So I’m going to have to figure out out to repair BUT all in all I’m very happy with it. I can tell it was at one time a High End RV. It has all the bells and whistles. I’m glad to find someone who has similar RV especially in age… look forward to finding out more about the differences… Does yours have the stackable washer and dryer?

Tags
air, mountain aire, slide, slide out