Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #1

Slide-out Gaskets

Newmar says to use talcum powder to maintain the gaskets around the slides. Most talcum powders today have corn starch rather than real talc. Is it okay to use a cornstarch product, or should I keep looking for real talc?
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good question have never considered a problem with the mix of talc and corn starch.
Both brands I have in house are the same mix which I have used plus waxed up sidewalls of slide.
The talc is so the rubber seals do not build up a stickiness as some seal sprays might do.
The Newmar slide seals are made to Newmars spec's and thats what they recommend to keep them trouble free.
Newmar designed "JET" seals are special seals for wiping slide slop top of water when closing note on page 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #3

007, do you know where I can purchase the slide gasket material from a gasket supplier and not through a service center? I had them replace it while it was under warranty couple years ago.. I need to replace again and do not like their service and would rather install myself..
thanks
Calvin
ccbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #4

For what it's worth, I checked the contents of "Johnson's Baby Powder" and it lists only talc. That is what I have been using with great results.
bbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't use anything on mine, mainly because I have no problems with them.

However, I do have a question for those that use some sort of powder.
Doesn't it make a mess? All I can imagine is white powder all over the side of my slide out. And what does rain do to the mix?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Calvin, have you talked with the Newmar factory repair center about your gasket?
They have special gaskets for their slides with a different type rubber.
If you had one replaced it maybe wrong type.

Arch, never been a problem the rubber just becomes slick and rain never bothered the talc.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Whether or not you have had problems with your slides, it is never a bad idea to make any friction points as slippery as possible.

Like I said in another post, there are two kinds of people with sliders, those who have had problems with them and those who will.

I use ProtectAll seal conditioner and lubricant, as well as Nufinish on the slider walls top and bottom. Then a graphite based lube on the mating portions of the slide mechanisms.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar slides require no lube on slide track rails in newer coach's they are all enclosed in the lower compartments.
Polishing slide sides will help slides move in easily.
Still use talc on rubber gaskets.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK tell us the best method for applying the talc please sir...
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #10

My issue with the slide gasket is it has a metal wire mesh inside that rust out. Then it gets flexible and rolls off the flange after opening. The dealer replaced about 1 1/2 years old. Now it is 3 years old and same issue. The TH is only outside for about 2 months a year during trips. The rest of the time is sits inside my shop out of the weather. I am not impressed with Ron Hoover here in Houston where I purchased the unit. I also have lots of starlike cracks in the front cap as well. Not for road damage, not for sure why they are there. Took back to dealer to fix and even with extended warranty (Newmar) they would not cover and wanted about $5k to fix. They told me I could use my insurance and they could take care of that. I told them my insurance should not to pay for an issue that Newmar should cover. Anyway, not to get side tracked, I am not very happy with my X-Aire and service from Newmar. I was thinking I could buy the rubber gasker from manufacture and replace instead of paying the dealer for something easy to replace.....
thanks
ccbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
They need a sealent along strip when replacing it.
You maybe able to match the seal with one of these.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post
Newmar says to use talcum powder to maintain the gaskets around the slides. Most talcum powders today have corn starch rather than real talc. Is it okay to use a cornstarch product, or should I keep looking for real talc?
Newmar will say fine to the cornstarch mix, it's the talc that counts in this case... And they will also say NEVER use any other "lubricant" or protector no matter what the label says.

OK - The magic question is HOW TO APPLY???

Simple, buy a pair of $1 brown jersey gloves and put them on. Open each slide maybe halfway or so. Rub a good dose of talc into the glove fingertips. Pinch the gasket with your gloved and talc laden fingers and slide/rub all around the gasket. Reapply talc as needed. The idea is to leave a slight film, slight being the operative word, on the gasket. It need not be white and blowing with dust.

This method is clean, leaves little residue, and is very fast. Takes way longer to move the ladder around than to talc up the gasket.

When done, toss your $1 "tool" and seal up your $1 talc/baby powder bottle for next time. You celebratory beer costs way more than this - what should be a routine - maintenance!
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I use cornstarch and put some in a small tupperware container. Apply it with a one inch or so paint brush. Works great
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I appreciate all the suggestions and comments regarding slide gasket maintenance. The glove idea is appealing, my question is about how to get to the gaskets on the top. From then inside seems difficult due to the trim, and from the outside, impossible due to the length and the toppers.
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote