Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 06:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Slide out issue

I’m desperate for help on a jammed slide out. My granddaughter did not fully unlock the lockout arm on the living room slideout and my wife opened it far enough to bend the arm and I think it jumped a tooth on the gear. Now I can’t figure out what to do. I have it out now but it is about three inches away from the wall at the rear and tight at the front. I have removed both locking arms so they won’t get jammed. I even tried to lower the gear drive at the rear of the slide so that I might get it to slip a gear tooth and get back in alignment. I’ve run out of ideas and am due to leave here tomorrow. I am in a small town in the UP of MI and am quite sure there will be no one around here that is Newmar specific. Has anyone done anything this stupid and do you know what a solution might be?
MSG Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need to close the slide first, and may need to hit the button twice to get slide coming in.
Once the slide is in remove the locking bar, has four screws two on slide and two on wall location.
With the slide closed go outside and check to see if wall of slide is fully recessed into the wall cavity. If it is your fine didn't skip a hole in its moving rail.
If this was the rear lock arm open slide window to get at lock holding screws to remove. The forward lock should have access to screws.
The slide will be fine with one locking bar in place.
You will need to hammer the bar to straighten just do not hammer the clip where bars meed in center it has a ball bearing in it to lock bar when it operates.
Now if the slide is out on one end of it its going to require releasing the torque bushings which we can talk about when you want to make slide flush in its opening.
You can tell your grand daughter other people have done the same thing, not to worry, gramp's will fix it, when everyone's in a rush to get on the road.

THIS LINK will help with other issues when they arise.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Slide out issu

Not to be rude but I have already done all the things you suggested as explained in my post. The slide is out, albeit cocked on the back side, and I can’t get it back in. Would it seem feasible to take the motor out the system and close it manually? What are the torque collars you mentioned?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #4

You need to disconnect the rear slide drive shaft coupling on the rear side of the drive motor. Then using a large pipe wrench (18" or 24") turn the shaft 2" diameter pipe shaft to retract the rear side of the slide until it is in all the way. This is a slow process but it will get the job done.

In my 1999 DSDP I wouldn't allow anyone besides myself to remove or install the slide lock bars. As you have learned- one small mistake & you've got a major problem.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you release the torque nuts that slide is a heavy one, if its up the ramp and on floor a couple of people maybe able to push in to make slide flush to wall, if it needs to go up ramp many more people necessary to push up and in.
Release of torque bushings.

How crooked is slide have you tried to bring in and up ramp to get on floor and maybe easier to make flush to wall after releasing nuts.
When operating slide may need to push button twice to get in direction you need it to go.
Had three people at same time with slide problems yesterday didn't read your whole post just you coach info.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Slide out issue

Thanks to all replays. I did finally have to release the torsion bars and it took 6 people to push it in. There's a full couch and built in desk on the slide out so it was heavy. We got it in and I reattached the lock bars and torsion bars. All was good coming back to house. I'll check this week to see if operates properly now.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks you made my day, safe travels.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
007. I'd like to ask one more thing. In my desperate attempt to get the slide stored before any help from the forum, I loosened and actually removed the 4 adjusting bolts on the collar around the torsion bar at the gear/cog on the rear of the slide. When the slide was out, I wasn't able to reposition the bolted assembly. Any advice now that the slide is in and the weight is off?
Old 07-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your talking about the torque nuts I think the forward one is torqued a 125# and back one is torqued at 145#, I would just check to make sure they are as tight as you can get them, if you have no torque bar, you do not need a problem getting our and back up that ramp.
If you ever run into problem getting up ramp as coach gets older just make small increment turn on control POT.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Slide out issue

007. I was not speaking of the torque nuts but instead the four 5/16 short cage bolts with lock washers and nuts that are on both sides of the cog or gear that engages with the slide rail. I reinstalled them yesterday with great difficulty but am wondering if they are adjusted properly. They seem to be adjusting bolts that are positioned in a slotted hole. Any advise on the correct positioning?
Old 07-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
One more question, 007. The slide is working in and out but coming in was slow so I increased the potentiometer slightly. That helped a lot. BUT, when it came in, the motor didnt want to stop as it had before. I shut it down with the switch. Now what? Your last response was about the torque rod nuts and that wasn't my question. My question was about the four bolts on around the gear or cog that I loosened when panicked to get the slide in. Does this adjustment have anything to do with how far the slide comes in? Also, during the initial problem I thought the slide may have slipped a tooth on one side. If so, would that cause my problem of the motor not turning off when the slide parks? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you turned the pot up to high the motor has to much current and will not let control stop the motor, in small increments turn pot back until motor and control respond together.
The cog wheel bolts replace as you found them to track into holes of the rail, has nothing to do with adjustments.
The control senses the rise in current draw of motor when slide hits the slide seal opening and control shuts off motor with pot in the correct position.
All Newmar slides move slow the pot increase is only to get slide up the ramp not increase speed.

Tags
slide, slide out