Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #1

Slide Out Magnetic Switch Location

Good day Newmar Owners
I have a 2010 Dutch Aire 4317 (Quad Slide) Tag Axle. I have been troubleshooting why the lock arms (i.e. paddles) are not deploying when the Forward Passenger Side Slide is fully closed. Using a good ohm meter, I have found the root cause failure mode causing this problem.
Normally, when the slide is closed, there is a magnetic switch that "activates" - i.e. closed or zero ohms. I confirmed this using the bedroom slide since the controllers are identical. In my case, the switch is open (which is normal when the slide is out). Therefore, until the controller "sees" that this slide out switch is closed, it will not activate the locking arms.
I have read that the slide out magnetic switch is in the area where the cog is. However, I do not see this switch or it is "very hidden," or in another location??
Have any "good troubleshooters" in the Newmar community experience where the slide out switch for the forward passenger side is located? Again, I am not interested in the locking arm (i.e. paddles) switches are located, as they are easily accessed by taking off the outside locking arm plate.
Regards
Mark S
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4317, ISL 425HP, 2014 Chevy Captiva
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The flush floor slide sensor is located close to one of the cogged rails

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, it went before I could finish the sentence. The sensor is on a bracket near one of the cogged rails, probably the closest one to the motor. There is a pad welded on the side of the rail which activates the magnetic sensor. Look for the pad which will be about 12" from the outside end of the rail. Follow it into the basement to find the sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

Hello AndyH - Thank you for the reply and direction. The problem is that the base floor of the coach "hides" the rails of the kitchen slide out. I called Newmar Customer Support this morning and talked with Josh. He went over to one of the techs there and told me that in order to get to the sensor, the base cabinet in the kitchen has to be removed and the floor has to be cut to get to it. What "rocket scientist" engineer at Newmar ever designed this? If this was a car or truck made by either a Japanese or Detroit manufacture, an access panel would be designed in. Newmar Quality??? I don't think so!!

Just wonder if anyone had to go through this procedure to check or install a new sensor? If so, I would like to hear back.

Regards
Mark S.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If it were me... It's "work around" time! Before I went through that level of "tear down" to reach a magnetic switch I would be looking at finding an alternative method of deploying the locks (and I'm winging it here...). It could be as simple as a manual toggle switch, spliced into the "magnetic switch" lock wire. Run the slide out in, when the slide out motor shuts down, throw the "bypass" switch to drive the locks closed. Optimum solution... NOPE; workable "work around"... Yep! Or as complex as installing a "new" magnetic switch on the cog wheel rail... Depends on your level of "engagement! And you're quite correct, "Maintainability Engineering" has NOT made its way into the motorhome industry!!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

Hello Ken
That's exactly what I did as a temporary fix. I cut back the insulation near the control board and used a jumper wire with two clips. Tested it this morning and it works fine, confirming my troubleshooting analysis.

I live only abou 3 to 4 hours from the factory. My plans is to drive over there and have a "come to Jesus discussion" on how to fix this problem Since the factory has CAD drawing on the wiring layout, they can determine EXACTLY where this switch is located. Why not just cut a access panel either below (through the coach floor) or above (cabinet location) and fix the problem?

Regards
Mark S.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mark,
That's exactly what I would do! As the complexity of these machines increases the manufacturers are going to have to consider maintenance access to these systems! I know in the aerospace industry it was a painful transition, but today it is a "contract competition element" in contract awards!

Tags
cat, slide, slide out