Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2022, 03:39 PM   #1

Thank you to Tom Chelbana!!!!

I have long been a fan of the folks on here that are willing to help us navigate living full time in our RV. One of the members is Tom Chelbana. I finally got to meet and talk to him and his wife today. He did his fix to my bedroom slide out motor.
So, I want to give a big shout out to Tom for fixing the motor bolt issue on my bedroom slide today. He has used his fix on his London Aire and the bolts haven’t moved in over 4 years. Tom has always given good advice on the forum and I trust his fix.
We had the motor replaced last week - and the tech had us run the slide in and out about half a dozen times. The bolts were already loose! Tom took about 1/2 hour to fix the bolts and I think his solution is one that will work for everyone. [Mod Edit]

Oh, and he verified what the tech told me last week - my 2016 4041 has the HWH hydraulic slides for BOTH the full wall slide and the smaller kitchen slide, so I only have one mechanical slide!

[Mod Edit]

Lisa
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2022, 06:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Lizards View Post
I have long been a fan of the folks on here that are willing to help us navigate living full time in our RV. One of the members is Tom Chelbana. I finally got to meet and talk to him and his wife today. He did his fix to my bedroom slide out motor.
So, I want to give a big shout out to Tom for fixing the motor bolt issue on my bedroom slide today. He has used his fix on his London Aire and the bolts haven’t moved in over 4 years. Tom has always given good advice on the forum and I trust his fix.
We had the motor replaced last week - and the tech had us run the slide in and out about half a dozen times. The bolts were already loose! Tom took about 1/2 hour to fix the bolts and I think his solution is one that will work for everyone. [Mod Edit]

Oh, and he verified what the tech told me last week - my 2016 4041 has the HWH hydraulic slides for BOTH the full wall slide and the smaller kitchen slide, so I only have one mechanical slide!

[Mod Edit]

Lisa
Thank you for this information. I’m sure that someone will really appreciate it.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:57 PM   #3

Might look at todays post title Torque #. There are some suggestions Newmar owners follow till they have their long term fix for their slide out motors coming loose and needing to replace the motor.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #4

Tom you are correct about those Slide out Motors Bolts coming loose. I have been following your post on this subject for some time now. And my bolts were loose. I just viewed your video on YouTube titled Newmar Slide out Motor Bolts Check. Here is the link to the video.

http://youtu.be/RKcVPmTGqgk
Jazzz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:17 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Evidently there was no change for 2022, starting checking mine today (they’re 5/16 bolts) and none have thread sealer. So far all needed tightened as well. Removing one at a time, applying Loctite and torquing to 19 ft lbs.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I checked mine, but not certain if bolts were “loose” or just a different torque by feel than what is prescribed. They were all fairly solid.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:13 PM   #7

Put the bedroom slide in and out yesterday. It has never been this quiet! Tom’s solution seems to be working very well.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #8

So I checked the slide motor on the bedroom slide of my 2019 BSS and it is not secured by the normal radial bolts. It is secured to a wood cross piece with 4 small 7/16 inch head bolts. Does anyone know if these bolts tend to loosen like the the others?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12F13999-D1A7-41CA-95CB-3B8C69A60644.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	362188  
Old 04-12-2022, 10:29 PM   #9

Pete After checking over 100 Newmar coaches the last 2 years have found none with that bedroom slide out motor assembly like yours having loose bolts. That is a better drive then the ones that are usually on DS on up. To the best of my experience BS and most Ventana's have this drive system. Most say that in my experience the DS on up have more problems with slide out motors coming loose then the models below. You do have the better drive for the slide out motor. Owners should look at your photo and if they have the same drive they are better off.
Newmar Man
Old 04-13-2022, 11:43 AM   #10

Thank you for this helpful reply. Alas, the two motors on my full wall slide habe the radial bolts that are addressed in these posts. Mine seem tight after two years but I think I’ll “fix them” anyway. I learn a LOT from this forum!
Old 04-16-2022, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
So I checked the slide motor on the bedroom slide of my 2019 BSS and it is not secured by the normal radial bolts. It is secured to a wood cross piece with 4 small 7/16 inch head bolts. Does anyone know if these bolts tend to loosen like the the others?
PeteMH, I have the same bed slide motor on my 2013 Mountain Aire I have had for three years except my self-tapping screws went into 1/8" thick angle iron instead of wood. First two years checking, no issue. Last year I found one of them broken off at the head. I did an upgrade and removed them, drilled the holes a tad larger, and installed bolts and nyloks

Net....check them at least annually just to be sure.
NCC-1701A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:50 AM   #12

Does the 'bolt' issue pertain to 1999 Newmar Dutchstar's?
ColeenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:44 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeenK View Post
Does the 'bolt' issue pertain to 1999 Newmar Dutchstar's?

Easy to check. Check the tightness of your motor bolts…..if they are loose you have the issue [emoji3]
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:53 PM   #14

It's time again of you haven't taken care of the problem with loss slide out motor bolts to check them. Suggest first place to be aware of the problem and what to do is watch the You Tube i and 2 other NKK members did a year ago at a rally. Hundreds of Newmar owners have spent thousands of dollars with this problem. Being one of the first to bring to the attention of Newmar owners this really is the biggest negative issue for coach owners in the last decade. It's is being taken care of with the 23 and newer coaches but to save you a lot of dollars and frustration be aware of this and do something. The video is titled Newmar Slide Out Motor Bolt Check.
Newmar Man