Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2022, 08:35 AM   #1

Slide out motor encoder

Hello,

Does anyone know if I can purchase just the encoder for a full wall slide motor instead of having to purchase the complete motor assembly? After troubleshooting with Newmar, they are telling me that one of the motors has a bad encoder and I need to replace the entire motor assembly. It looks like the encoder can be removed from the motor and replaced.

Chris
cbennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Yes, you can purchase it separately. If you install it and it keeps giving issues you will have to swap the motor. Contact NIRVC in Nashville Monday and I believe we have some in stock. Or we can order it if not.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:17 PM   #3

Swap the encoders and see if the issue switches sides. Encoders seldom fail.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Swap the encoders and see if the issue switches sides. Encoders seldom fail.
I agree. I had Newmar go through the troubleshooting with me on a slide issue. They came up with an encoder failure. Since it was quite expensive I gave KIB Electronics a call. The technician walked me through some troubleshooting steps and not only did he determine it was not an encoder problem, but he also determined which motor on my kitchen slide was bad. The technician also stated that encoderís rarely fail.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #5

Thanks - it will have to wait until I get to a place with better cell service
Old 06-21-2022, 06:53 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just to through a monkey wrench into your plans. My kitchen slide has two motors with encoders. I broke the same front motor twice (gears broke). After the second one I was a little perturbed and called Klauber the manufacturer. I told them that their motors were breaking and Newmar gets $1200 for them. He was flabbergasted. He asked me some questions and then went and talked to one of their engineers. When he returned, he said the engineer felt it was the circuit board (controller) that was the issue and was sending or not sending enough amperage to one motor.

I replaced both motors and put in a new controller. Knock on wood, but my kitchen slide has been trouble free since. I also believe that anyone having issues should do the controller reset, setting the in and out limits carefully.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am traveling crossing country and Iíve been in a place with no cell coverage this week.

In my case, both motors work in Program mode, so I have a workaround. So if I have to remove a motor, it will have to wait until I get home.

I did try to remove the encoder from the rear motor and couldnít. I remove the 3 screws on the housing and the 2 that I thought hold the encoder to the motor housing. But I couldnít get it off.

Anybody know how to remove the encoder?

Chris
Old 06-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #8

Slide out motor encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennis View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am traveling crossing country and Iíve been in a place with no cell coverage this week.

In my case, both motors work in Program mode, so I have a workaround. So if I have to remove a motor, it will have to wait until I get home.

I did try to remove the encoder from the rear motor and couldnít. I remove the 3 screws on the housing and the 2 that I thought hold the encoder to the motor housing. But I couldnít get it off.

Anybody know how to remove the encoder?

Chris

Look for some very small Allen screws. This holds the encoder onto the drive shaft.

Could still be the motor. If itís not turning due to stripped gears the encoder will feed back to the board and the other motor will stop and wait for the bad one to catch up. I just went through this and thought it was the encoder, turned out to be a bad motor on the other side.
Just to add, both my motors worked in program mode as well but would not sync together due to the gear issue.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I'm having a similar problem. We arrived at a new campground and all slides extended like normal. My wife then noticed that the piece of plastic that protects the floor from damage caused by the slide-out roller (slick), was pulled with the slide and was sticking out inside the rig about 6 inches and the rest under the slide.

When I retracted the slide so I can pull out the slick, only the front of the slide-out moved. The read did not move.

I did all the tests described in previous posts: re-taught the soft limits using the 5 buttons on the control boards, but nothing helped. Both my motors worked perfectly when the control board was in teaching mode, so I assumed that the motors are good and that the encoder is bad.

QUESTION: Has anyone actually replaced an encoder? If yes, please post some pictures if available and a description of how you did it.

When I called Newmar, they told me that you can't replace the encoder, you have to replace the motor and encoder because they come as a unit.

I will call KIB in the morning to see what they say.
traveller333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Look for some very small Allen screws. This holds the encoder onto the drive shaft.
Thanks Winepress. Missed that set screw completely - and there were two of us looking. It will have to wait until I get home and can pull the motor. At least it is the rear motor, which is in the DEF / hose storage bay and has only a short shaft, so it should only require minimal cussing to get it out
Old 06-26-2022, 09:12 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller333 View Post
I'm having a similar problem. We arrived at a new campground and all slides extended like normal. My wife then noticed that the piece of plastic that protects the floor from damage caused by the slide-out roller (slick), was pulled with the slide and was sticking out inside the rig about 6 inches and the rest under the slide.

When I retracted the slide so I can pull out the slick, only the front of the slide-out moved. The read did not move.

I did all the tests described in previous posts: re-taught the soft limits using the 5 buttons on the control boards, but nothing helped. Both my motors worked perfectly when the control board was in teaching mode, so I assumed that the motors are good and that the encoder is bad.

QUESTION: Has anyone actually replaced an encoder? If yes, please post some pictures if available and a description of how you did it.

When I called Newmar, they told me that you can't replace the encoder, you have to replace the motor and encoder because they come as a unit.

I will call KIB in the morning to see what they say.

After diagnosing with KIB, they determined that the problem is with the rear encoder, not the motor. Both motors worked fine when operated in teaching mode by pushing the buttons on the control board. I was able to move the slide all the way out and back in again. Even when switching the motor inputs on the board, the problem remained with the same rear encoder.

In order to get a quote from Newmar for a new motor, you have to know the Newmar part number, which is printed on the motor label, because they used several different motors, and they have to know the exact number. Unfortunately you can't see it, unless you remove the motor. I had a camera on a cable and was able to get the number that way. Newmar quoted me $1,860 for the motor, gear box and encoder assembly. They do not sell the encoder separately.

I did a little more looking and found the make and model of the encoder. I ordered one from the manufacturer for $175, arriving in a couple of days.

I will try to replace just the encoder first and if it works, I will document the process and report back.

I asked Newmar for a document showing the process of replacing the motor. I'll have to see if they send me anything.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once you verify the encoder matches, post up a link to the source
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller333 View Post
After diagnosing with KIB, they determined that the problem is with the rear encoder, not the motor. Both motors worked fine when operated in teaching mode by pushing the buttons on the control board. I was able to move the slide all the way out and back in again. Even when switching the motor inputs on the board, the problem remained with the same rear encoder.

In order to get a quote from Newmar for a new motor, you have to know the Newmar part number, which is printed on the motor label, because they used several different motors, and they have to know the exact number. Unfortunately you can't see it, unless you remove the motor. I had a camera on a cable and was able to get the number that way. Newmar quoted me $1,860 for the motor, gear box and encoder assembly. They do not sell the encoder separately.

I did a little more looking and found the make and model of the encoder. I ordered one from the manufacturer for $175, arriving in a couple of days.

I will try to replace just the encoder first and if it works, I will document the process and report back.

I asked Newmar for a document showing the process of replacing the motor. I'll have to see if they send me anything.
Newmar told me that they don't have such a document for customers, only for technicians.

I received the encoder and will try to replace it in the next few days.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:22 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=traveller333;6231579]Newmar told me that they don't have such a document for customers, only for technicians.

I started a new thread describing the process of replacing the encoder or the motor. See link below.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rep...ml#post6233565

Tags
motor, slide, slide out