Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2020, 10:00 PM   #1

Slide roller popped off tonight

So I pulled into a spot for the night and extended my slides. The wall slide on the drivers side made a pop noise and a roller was sticking out sideways from under the slide.

Been working just fine for 2years...

Umm, how do I get that hummer back under the slide?

I have not tried to pull the slide Back in yet...waiting for daylight to see what I can see....hopefully, it will retract!!!

2018 Newmar bay star sport 3307

Appreciate any suggestions, ideas, good jokes, etc....
Yarddroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Slide spec's say place a 2x4 behind the facia top of slide to lift slide bottom to work under it a FWS maybe a different problem.
Slide spec's can be found in this thread plus other items.
The roller may have only a missing nut or maybe the bracket has broken away from the under floor board.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

I have a question, new to this forum but I have a 1995 mountainaire. Works beautiful, low mileage. My slide has started acting up. I put it out and when it got fully out it wouldn't shut off just made thumping noise. now when I try to retract it , it will come in about 3 inches and make the same thumping noise and stops. Anyone help me please.
newmarsnobrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarsnobrd View Post
I have a question, new to this forum but I have a 1995 mountainaire. Works beautiful, low mileage. My slide has started acting up. I put it out and when it got fully out it wouldn't shut off just made thumping noise. now when I try to retract it , it will come in about 3 inches and make the same thumping noise and stops. Anyone help me please.
When my slide out acted this way, I ended up changing out the electric slide motor. Motor change out was fairly easy, trans torque bushing took a lot of persuading to break free.
SteveR161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";5443074]Slide spec's say place a 2x4 behind the facia top of slide to lift slide bottom to work under it a FWS maybe a different problem.
Slide spec's can be found in [B][URL="https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/slides-the-good-bad-and-the-ugly-455627.html
this thread[/URL][/B] plus other items.
The roller may have only a missing nut or maybe the bracket has broken away from the under floor board.
Thanks again. Do.... I’m not understanding what to do I guess...do I put the 2x4 inside facia inside the coach and run the slide out to jack it up to put the roller back in from the outside? Out outside and run the slide in?
Old 09-18-2020, 04:07 AM   #6
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddroid View Post
Thanks again. Do.... I’m not understanding what to do I guess...do I put the 2x4 inside facia inside the coach and run the slide out to jack it up to put the roller back in from the outside? Out outside and run the slide in?

You put the 2x4 on the outside on top of the slide out. When you bring the slide in the 2x4 stops the top of the slide from coming in all the way, the bottom will continue to come in which will cause the bottom of the slide to tilt up so you can gain access to the rollers from inside the RV.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarsnobrd View Post
I've had that happen 2 times. Both times, it was a couple broken teeth in the motors gearbox.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
You put the 2x4 on the outside on top of the slide out. When you bring the slide in the 2x4 stops the top of the slide from coming in all the way, the bottom will continue to come in which will cause the bottom of the slide to tilt up so you can gain access to the rollers from inside the RV.
Thank you!!!
Old 09-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
That wouldn’t pop the outer flange off?
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:38 AM   #10
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
That wouldn’t pop the outer flange off?

Nope

I was assured by Newmar this was how they did it. So I went for it. I used two 2x4's cut to the width of the slide outs outside flange. When I brought the slide in it worked just like they said. When the 2x4 made contact with the outside the bottom continued in causing it to raise up.

The slide stops when the motor amps increase due to the resistance it encounters when going in or out. The flange around the slide out was fine.

Jeff
Old 09-19-2020, 06:22 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Just as DJJ said that is the way Newmar does it all the time. The upper flange has metal bracing at both ends (depending on slide length it might have bracing in the middle). Another suggestion would be to put a small piece of carpet between the RV wall and the 2x4 so it doesn’t scratch the paint. It is suggested to have someone on the roof when the slide is retracting to keep an eye on things.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting.... I guess with the load distributed across the whole slide, it would be ok. Need to tuck this one into the back of my mind for future use...

Thanks
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Are/is the 2x4's layer on their edge or flat side?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:42 AM   #14
DJJ

Flat side.

Tags
slide, wall slide rollers