RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Slide stopped working after unlocking

My first slide issue and I'm camped at Chenango State Park. It's the passenger front slide and after the locks "unlocked", nothing.

Now all I get when I push the button is the announcement and what seems to be a very slight click. The locks are unlocked and they won't move. The good news is the slide is in so no issues for traveling home.

I've tried a number of solutions I searched on. One was full reset of 12v power (store mode). I checked fuses by swapping the two slide fuses. U also pulled and re-plugged in fuses that were slide related. Another was swapping the plugs from the front slide with the rear controller. I used the switch in the back for that - is that right? Or should I have still used the front switch?

So I'm looking for suggestions on other diagnostics, thanks for those who have encountered this.

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you swapped the controller you still use the front switch.
Here is the new slide spec which has the lock information also.
Light tapping of locks can free up control so contacts can complete circuit, moisture that can get in lock can cause problems with operation.
Power luck arm information starts at page 17 of spec.
This is the old slide spec different controls.
Slide info found in QT's 1 & 2.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
If you swapped the controller you still use the front switch.

Light tapping of locks can free up control so contacts can complete circuit, moisture that can get in lock can cause problems with operation.
Thanks for the links 007. I tried the front switch after swapping controllers, no go. Tried tapping on locks, no go. I was in some pretty heavy rain driving here Wednesday night so that was an interesting thought re: moisture.

Guess I'll have to wait to get home to try other remedies unless other ideas crop up.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Smile Solved!

The problem stemmed from a bolt on the locking arm that triggers a sensor on the motor to stop. What appears to have happened is the bolt got caught up somehow, bent and therefore wouldn't fit through the opening in the wall portion, preventing the lock from triggering the controller that it was correctly opened, allowing the wall to then move.

Picked up a nice new straight bolt (1 1/4" x 32 fine thread) and matching nut and will get that all put back together tomorrow.

It took a bunch of disassembly of the molding around the wall in order to gain access to the locking arm, perhaps there was a better way, but on the positive side, I learned how to take that stuff apart and will now learn how to put it back together again.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hands on experience is wonderful, you will never forget it especially when its a mechanical thing , things can be allot simpler doing it manually.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
And I want to thank you again 007 for providing me a quick link to the manual. A friend was helping me look at the lights on the controller while I pushed the slide button and that's when the light indicators on the controller narrowed down the problem. Seeing a light issue, we re-examined the locking arms more closely and that's when I noticed one was still sticking out around 3/4" of an inch.

I agree with hands-on experience and even though I have an extended warranty and all, I still want to understand this stuff. And in the end - a $.50 part, I probably saved a whole lot of hassle dealing with a repair shop, waiting to be scheduled, etc.

Tags
slide