RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Slide topper

We have a 98MA40'DP with one slide that does not have a slide topper[never came with one] and we live in OR. Should I have one? tks for your input.

boatman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #2

It's a matter of opinion.

Without slide topper: Easier to clean and do all around maintenance, but you have to do more maintenance.

With slide topper: Hardly ever have to clean, but when you do it's a pain. Some toppers can be a problem in windy areas. Makes shade on the slide roof, keeping it cooler on hot sunny days.

I've had both and still don't have a preference.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi boatman63,
If you park under trees or in direct hot sun, consider the topper. The topper allows retracting the slide without getting up on the roof to clean off tree debris. I have been without and with toppers. I prefer to have the topper.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

I prefer the topper. Each time I pulled the slide in I would clean leaves and sticks off the top. I purchased a topper form Camper World, installed myself. I would not be without a topper it shades the slide and keeps trash off when retracting.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Must clean leaves and sticks off before retracting slides. I ruined both toppers once by not cleaning them off.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #6

Something not mentioned is the difficulty of trying to inspect the caulking. It's sort of out of sight out of mind. In over 5yrs. of full timing we've never had slide toppers, nor have we ever had to pull the slides in at 2am because of strong winds. I do see why some won't be without them, but we don't see any reason to change now. Also I've wondered if after a strong wind if people check under the topper before they bring them in to see if anything was blown under. I know I've never seen anyone do it. In the time we've been on the road I can probably count on two hands the times I've ever had to clean off any debris.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #7

We were camping under trees and a hail storm hit us and the leaves and branches were on the topper and I didn't clean them and when I retracted them they were destroyed. Lesson learned.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #8

I have a MH with and one without slide toppers. I prefer the "no topper" version and use a telescoping ladder to inspect the slide tops for debris before retracting.

I really don't like the looks of the hardware that has to be mounted on the side of the MH either. I also had problems with high winds trying to tear them off the MH on the coach that had toppers.

Considering the looks, expense and maintenance required, I prefer the no topper MH. Just my opinion.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #9

On ours there is no topper on the passenger front slide. Don't think there would be room for topper as Awning is also attached to side of coach. I think slide in in, rollers for topper and awning would hit each other.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide Topper

On my 2014 DSDP 4018 I have no topper on the curbe side slide. Does anyone know if a topper would fit between the Dometic awning and the slide?
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #11

I tried to have a topper put on 2005 MADP 4304 passenger side. They told me there isn't room for hardware with the awning as it is now. Some suggestion/idea would be to move the awning, but that would leave holes (maybe). I'm hopping to figure it out and eliminate having to get on top of mh, lay on my stomach and clean debree out by hand. There was an idea to use the awning as a topper by making stand off arms to hold the awning out just enough to cover the slide. This could be interesting when one thinks of the other problems this would create. One of the problems would be not to forget to disable the wind sensor. I'm sure there will be more. These are my thoughts, what are yours?
mtnpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a hot day go to a RV place and sit in a slide out without a topper and then go sit in one with a topper.

I live where 100 degrees is normal for months at a time and I'd never be without a topper.

As far as cleaning under the topper...I have never cleaned it off before closing.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide