Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

slide uneven

we have 2018 bystar 3414, we were getting it ready for our trip and I went to put the off door slide out, hit button and it kinda made a pop and stopped, I then realized that the front lock on the slide was on, so I unlocked it and it went out ok, but when I bring it back in, the rear of the slide does not retract all the way like the front does , it sticks out about a inch. we went on a two week trip and it continues to work but still sticks a inch in the back, any thoughts on this..
Budsm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The slide should be able to be synchronized, but we have electric slides and the controller will synchronize at either end of the travel. Check your manual or contact Newmar customer service. I am sure customer service will be able to help very quickly.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Been there done that. Lots of threads on this subject but you will need to loosen the transtorque bushing to adjust it. You will need a 1.5” crows foot wrench to break it loose. I’m sure others will chime in with further details but that is the crux of it.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Just a reminder to update your signature [emoji4]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbuddy46 View Post
we have 2018 bystar 3414, we were getting it ready for our trip and I went to put the off door slide out, hit button and it kinda made a pop and stopped, I then realized that the front lock on the slide was on, so I unlocked it and it went out ok, but when I bring it back in, the rear of the slide does not retract all the way like the front does , it sticks out about a inch. we went on a two week trip and it continues to work but still sticks a inch in the back, any thoughts on this..
This has happened twice on my CS. First at the factory during pick-up and done by my Tech -- he had locked the front end of the 14', driver side slide, without telling me, while the rear of the slide was left unlock. I attempted to open the slide and a loud pop. He extended the slide about a foot, loosened the trantorque bushing under the exterior compartment. It took a couple attempts to get it correct.

Newmar wouldn't give me tech advice on how to make this adjustment and told me to speak with the dealer I bought from. While I witnessed this adjustment being made, haven't felt confident enough to make the adjustment myself.

I'll be at the factory in a few weeks for warranty work and have them make the adjustment.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #6

You can do it. The hardest part is breaking the transtorque bushing loose.
There is a long thread on here about doing it. Look it up. Lots of good info from those of us who did it also.
Newmar was of no help to me. Told me I would have to find a service center. Closest on to me is 350 miles so that was out.
While I find that Newmar is excellent in some areas thee are others they are lacking in.
The CS rep told me the room would have to be jacked up and realigned in the wall.
Take your time look at everything before you start so that you know how everything works.
Once you get the transtorque bushing loose put a pipe wrench on the shaft and move it either in or out. Measure both ends to be sure they match up.
Keep in mind I’m not a tech so YMMV.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #7

Bill i’ve tried every search I can think of where might the thread be foe these instructions
Budsm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #8

Here's a couple.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/brok...-374154-2.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/tran...ml#post1622331
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #9

I bought 2 trantorque bushings from Newmar planning to make the adjustment. I've looked at the links, they weren't much help. Spoke with my Tech at my dealer and he advised having it done ''professionally,'' and told me not to do it myself. He might not be aware that I'm competent in many areas, just not with this. And I've seen this procedure done in person 18 months ago.

I know after the adjustment is made, run the slide in and out to see if it seats properly. If no, then the bushing needs to be loosened again, and the shaft turned.

When checking with a local RV repair, with a 30 year experienced shop foreman, the owner of the shop did not know what a trantorque bushing was and I decided not to have the work done there.

My Tech did tell me if the trantorque bushing is broken in the process of loosening it, it is a MAJOR fix taking things apart to replace it. That in itself gave me cause to rethink doing it.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #10

I have adjusted mine. I use a large pipe wrench and a 1 1/2 in big wrench. Normally the bushings just slip, trantorque , to loosen it I loosen the nut till it stops it is a right hand thread. I put a little pressure not enough to break it. I then take a hammer and hit the barrel top bottom a bottom and back and front if it doesn’t break loose apply a little more back pressure but be careful and hit it again. It is a tapered sleeve that tightens down on the shaft. When you get it loose I would hit the switch just momentarily to take the slack out of the chains that turn the cogs. Move the slide by hand at this point you can use a pipe wrench to adjust the front and back of the slide. Then tighten the trans torque. There are torque values but there are two different sizes of shaft. Work it slow and be carful
To use a torque wrench you will need a crows foot that fits.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #11

The name of the thread is “ own a Newmar with electric slide outs? Read this.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will find many of your answers in the QT's sticky links be low in my signature and slide info in QT's 1 & 2 and most recent answers in QT's #3 ---PROBLEM SOLVERS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #13

LESSON LEARNED......must check those locks.

I think I have read somewhere that some people don't use them just because of this issue and the one in the bedroom is sometimes hard to get to....is it really necessary to lock the slide....what happens if you don't...does the size of the slide matter?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 AM   #14

That's the reason why every RV owner should be packed with power tools. There's always something wrong with a truck and you don't want to stick in the middle of a desert like Walter White. I'd recommend checking this guide to the whole range of the wrenches
Inside Tool. Be careful!
Infectedalie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide