Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #1

I've bought my 2005 Scottsdale in July 2006 and seems that the opening time for each of the three slideoutes is soooo slow. Is that normal, is there anyway to speed them up? I've watched other rigs open up with a lot less time involved.
Appreciate any info.

2005 Newmar Scottsdale 3671
cyaontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #2

I've bought my 2005 Scottsdale in July 2006 and seems that the opening time for each of the three slideoutes is soooo slow. Is that normal, is there anyway to speed them up? I've watched other rigs open up with a lot less time involved.
Appreciate any info.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #3

Mine is really slow also... I am thinking its the nature of the beast of Newmar....
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #4

The electric slide-out drives have this itty bitty motor geared WAY, WAY down to get the necesary force, which means it takes time. Mine's the same way.

HEY! We're actual gas Newmar owners talking about a gas Newmar issue in the Newmar forum! How cool is that?
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
My slides are also very slow because of the geared down MMM (Mickey Mouse Motor) On the other hand, I always put out the slides with shore power,because the motor speed is directly proportional to the DC voltage. So be sure to have shore power or run the generator to give the little motor some extra ummmph !
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #6

Newmar's slides were always slower than the competition's. They invented the flat floor slide and actually have far less problems per unit than most. My last '02 DP Newmar was slower than my present. But it was a touch and forget whereas thus one is a hold to work.

Like it or not, it;s the best slide in the business, bar none.

Peter
Old 04-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #7

Mine are also slow compared to some others that I have seen. But, I am not usually in a hurry, whats a few more seconds to wait, so it does not bother me.
Fortunately, they always go in and out as expected.
We love our Newmar gasser.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well can you beet that we do have some gassers on the Newmar forum, welcome everyone.
We can help the slides with clean polished side walls and some talcom powder on rubber seals so they do not stick.
They do move slow but never had a stuck one yet.
Have seen others move so fast they have to open door or window or might brake their ear drums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #9

Thanks Everyone for the info. But "007" thats a new one about the talcom powder I'll have to try it.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #10

Hi, just a comment as we had a couple of fast slides on a Winnebago before our current coach. I never minded that the slides(4) are slow as that does give you time to get that "something that was forgotten" out of the way!!!

I lost a nice brief case to the over zealous slide in our last coach and the slide didnt fair too well either. You would think that it would have stopped if it incured a bit of excess friction, but no way!!!

Larry, Cathy

2005 Dodge Durango
Iowa Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #11

Had the faster slides on previous Bounder-they were great, never had a problem! Am now trying to adjust front slide on the AllStar to lay flat(its only flat or flush on one end!). Eliminating Bertha would speed up the in/out process time.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cyaontheroad:
Thanks Everyone for the info. But "007" thats a new one about the talcom powder I'll have to try it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard other suggestions from techs who recommend corn starch as the best thing to apply to the seals. Some of them do not having an owner apply wax to the sidewall which goes in at the seal. They definitely do not like the commercial slide lube applied to the seals.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dav5942:
Had the faster slides on previous Bounder-they were great, never had a problem! Am now trying to adjust front slide on the AllStar to lay flat(its only flat or flush on one end!). Eliminating Bertha would speed up the in/out process time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>my slide on 95 london won,t come up over hump going in?
Old 04-21-2007, 05:25 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
It is a good thing Newmar Flat Slides are SLOW...because dingy Jojo tried to slide out with one of the lock arms engaged (all the while hearing little computer voice saying("all lock arms and other...you know the thirty second delay) Saved myself from Bones lashing me with a wet noodle!

Jojo