Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #1

Slideout skewed

I have a problem with our bedroom passenger side slide. It is skewed in the slide out opening. The bottom of the slide is square with the opening but the sides and top lean to the left.

The left side at the top is touching the opening trim and the right side has a wide gap. Is there a way to correct this? It appears that the slide out box is not square.

This didn't happen all at once. It was off a little but then got worse in a short time.

Any ideas would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3551.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	324220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3553.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	324228  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3552.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	324230  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

JMHO: Find out ,with a builders square , if it's a problem with the slide box going out of square or the coach wall frame . Document with pictures , and contact Newmar.

I would suspect , if the wall frame was the issue you'd see cracks off the corners in the fiberglass wall material .
Old 04-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #3

I can't tell what the gap at the top looks like but it appears from the paint lines that the left side has dropped. It can be adjusted up which would give you more clearance in the upper left corner. Dealer service adjusted ours as the right side on was slightly low causing the right side arm cover to hit the trim when the slide was closing.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #4

I have the exact same thing going on with my full wall slide on a 2000 DSDP. Following to see if anyone has info. Bottom and top gaps fine. Left side no gap at vertical edge near top. Right side big gap on vertical edge near top.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:46 PM   #5

I will call Newmar tomorrow. If I raise the left side of the box the bottom won't look aligned but it will at least create a gap so the left side of the slide and the trim aren't touching.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #6

Take a tape measure and measure the opening diagonals. They should be exactly the same. If they are not, then your chassis is not level front AND back. No matter what the leveling system indicators are saying. Use a bubble level X / Y in the front and in the back to check.

If the opening is square, then measure the slideout...that should also be square. If the gaps are then irregular, determine which direction the slide needs to move to even the margins on all four sides. There are adjustment screws for all of those changes. If you are DIY handy then consult Newmar service bulletins on which adjustsments make which change.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:29 AM   #7

I have mine back to normal without any adjustments. The place where I park my coach has the right front wheel a bit low. I tended not to worry too much about being exactly level when I'd deploy my slide and ended up with asymmetrical vertical gaps like you have, and had the slide actually slightly overlapping the opening. Without setting the slide lock bars, I turned the unit around so that the rear was at the low spot and that got rid of the overlap after a few days. Then I turned it around again, but this time dropped the bags and levelled with jacks per my manual before deploying the slide, and I have a good gap all the way around now. Still slightly skewed but I think it will eventually settle back aright. Before I take it off the jacks, I'll set the slide lock bars to help hold the gap as it should be.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #8

I could see how to adjust the slide up on the left side. Pretty simple adjustment. Comparing the two slide mounts the left side was originally set higher than the right side when built. There was very little space to raise the left side but a friend helped me do it. It had very little effect.

We made more measurements and determined that the slide out adjustment does not seem to be the problem. The left side slide out tube that has the cog wheel holes on the bottom is not at the same height from the ground, or from any other reference point, than the right side tube. It is a full inch lower when the slide is out. It does not level up when the slide is in. It is also not on the same plane as the right slide tube. It tilts down visibly and is confirmed when checked with a level.

We measured the two cog wheels and the left one is about a half inch lower than the right one. The mounts for the cog wheels are adjustable but I don't if moving the left up will cause other issues or requiring adjustments of other components.

My call to Newmar was of no help. The person I spoke to seemed to go down a computer list of slide out questions and when my problem didn't fit those parameters she told me to take it to a dealer.

The closest dealer to me is booked till the end of June. The next closest is even longer. The Newmar rep told me the dealer I purchased from doesn't work on post warranty coaches. Next option is a 10 hour drive to Oregon.

I need to find a way to resolve this. Has anyone experienced this issue or made this type of adjustment?
Old 05-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #9

We have an issue with the bedroom slide on our 2018 Bay Star 3124. We took it to the dealer and they were ZERO help after waiting 3 1/2 months for an appointment and then they had the coachbfor 2+ months. I guess we will schedule an appointment to take it back to the factory.
CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:13 PM   #10

You illustrate my concern about dealer capabilities well. 2300 miles back to Napanee is not an option for me. I have mechanics available to help me, I just need to know what to do to raise the slide out tube.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUME91 View Post
We have an issue with the bedroom slide on our 2018 Bay Star 3124. We took it to the dealer and they were ZERO help after waiting 3 1/2 months for an appointment and then they had the coachbfor 2+ months. I guess we will schedule an appointment to take it back to the factory.
Nobody seems to have experienced my slide out problem or knows the fix.

If you post more details about your slide problem someone here may be able to advise.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #12

did you measure the opening to verify if the opening is square or not?

What was the results of that examination step?

Do the same for the slide reveal. Both should be very square (but according to your observation - one is not).

There are no magic fixes if the situation isn't fully understood.

This is a simple problem. A rectangle doesn't fit into a parallelogram (possibly the shape of the chassis opening if the chassis is twisted / off level). One leg is going to be 1/8" longer than the other...

If this basic step of diagnostics isn't done, all else is an expensive guess. A body shop with a good frame "man" could easily diagnose the issue. Someone who is good taking measurements and understands the interrelationship of one part to another. A typical mechanic does not do that every day so is unqualified.

It could be the slide is square, but the reveal is NOT. Then a body shop can remove the reveal and reset square. But that's a wild A__ guess until there are measurements.

Tags
slide, slideout