Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #211

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I'm gonna post a sign in our coach that says:

"It is slide time, do you know where your reveals are?"

TJ
I am going to steal your tagline...but I will give you credit. That is awesome!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #212

So much "misinformation"....
Let's start a list of the mechanical requirements for a slideout to be operated without damage (FWS or non FWS). I'll start:

1) Vehicle is parked
2) Depending on the electrical system of the slide, the engine may have to be off (or on)
3) Vehicle should be level (either on levelers, or not)
4) Vehicle must have a battery charge
5) No baggage doors or other obstructions should be in the way of the slides (including the RV next door or the WalMart lighting pole)
6) Vehicle should not be "twisted". Inspecting the gaps (reveals) between the slide and the body is a quick way of ensuring that the opening is square to the slide. the gaps should be same width across the gap, and reasonably similar in width to the other side gap. If it's NOT square, use the leveling system or wheel blocks until it's level. Or park in a different orientation / spot.
7) Know for your slide configuration, which slide should be extended first, second, third, etc. Typically one shouldn't open all slides on one side, before opening a slide on the other side to keep the RV's side to side balance.
8) Unlock the slides (if equipped)
9) Operate the slide mechanism to extend.

To close the slides:
See steps 1-6 above.
7) Typically the vehicle will be in the same good state as when the slides were extended UNLESS the vehicle has shifted due to the tires / extender jacks having sunk into soft ground and the vehicle now being off level and / or twisted. Use the leveling system to correct the condition BEFORE retracting the slides
8) Retract the slides in the reverse sequence they were extended.
9) Apply any slide locks (electrical or mechanical) if equipped and non-automatic.
10) Visually check that all slides are now completely retracted and the gaps are reasonably square and similar. If NOT square, FIRST relevel the vehicle, THEN extend the offending slide a few inches and then retract the slides again. Inspect the slide before lowering the levelers. Repeat if necessary.
11) drive off and enjoy the day.

Miss anything? Feel free to suggest adds / deletes / edits

I suspect the the manufacturers OFFICIAL procedures are accurate, but NONE of them have been complete which leads to forum posts for "exceptional" situations that are assumed by the manufacturer (like the vehicle is on a 45 degree slope, but the gaps are just fine). There is no "common" sense
Old 09-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #213

Better than level; manually lean your coach to the right when extending the passenger slides or retracting the driver side. Lean to the left when doing the reverse so gravity can be your aid.

Also, extend toward the equator and retract away from the pole so the centrifugal force of the earths spin helps.

Lastly, don’t forget to extend downwind and retract upwind, especially in the plains states. For extra stress relief, operate the exhaust fan when retracting slides and switch it to intake while you extend.

Yes, it’s a lot to think about, but your slides will thank you.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #214
mre

Funny!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #215

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
For extra stress relief, operate the exhaust fan when retracting slides and switch it to intake while you extend.

Yes, it’s a lot to think about, but your slides will thank you.
First time I ran the slides with the driver window open, I was amazed how much air it actually moved. You may be on to something. Of course, if you run the fans in reverse, could really foul things up.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #216

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We stick with the guidance, recommended practice provided by Newmar particularly as regard the FWS. That stated, we have had a couple of occasions where there was need to recall the slide prior to storing the leveling jacks and bringing the coach to normal ride height. In such cases, we contacted Newmar CS before doing so wherein they advised that it would most likely be ok "on an exception basis" but that we should continue to follow the recommended practice.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #217

I would put the A/C on without Recirculate with the windows closed. That way the fan will put positive pressure inside of the coach and just pop those slides open like a balloon. The fellow campers really get a kick out of it when there are birthdays. It's called "blowfish mode".

I can't edit the "comprehensive guide to making your RV twice as big" because it's been over 30 minutes or I would add the additional tidbits.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #218
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
After 16 pages, the only thing in this thread you can take to the bank is the need to be observant and flexible. Newmar's slides out first, then level is fine in many situations, but if your slide reveals are not right, you'll need to go to Plan B; sometimes, Plan C.

IF the slide reveals are misaligned, you'll need to either move the coach to a more level position, or use the jacks to level it and get the reveals right. They are the best indicator of chassis twist...which you don't want.

Trying to apply absolute rules in all cases just doesn't work.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 AM   #219

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like the blowfish mode...going to try that at camp newmar!
Old 09-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #220

Our recent experience and observations.
We have been following Newmars recommended procedure for
extending and retracting slides with our new DSDP. This is our first experience with a FWS so we have been a little concerned about it getting bound up. On our first shakedown trip since purchase the small bedroom slide has become "tight" at the upper right hand corner. Although we have read the information and opinions about relocating to a different site, blocking under the tires, (do you block under the tag as well), using individual jacks to level, etc. we weren't comfortable with these "corrective actions" since both of the larger slides looked good.
So we extended the slides and everything worked good. When we broke camp we retracted the same way "on the bags at ride height" after retracting the jacks. The small side was still tight at the top. Almost no gap. When we got home we prepared to extend slides again so I decided to level first to see if that would help. Once the coach was level on the jacks I inspected the gap and noticed that the lower horizontal gap on the FWS had been reduced significantly (not good) and the tight gap on the bedroom slide did not change.
So our dilemma is that our larger slides continue to work well with proper gaps and our small slide is getting tighter at one corner.
I also think that the slides, especially the small slide may be moving around during travel causing the gap to change without regard to extending and retraction techniques.
I will be giving Newmar and our dealer a call to see what the process is to get the small slide re-aligned.
David
2019 DSDP 4369
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:11 AM   #221

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kdnash: can you post a picture of your bedroom slide box showing the reveals?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #222

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kdnash,
I've had the same problem with the same slide for years. My solution has been to lower the rear (jacks raised). Raise the front of the coach (lower the front jacks) all the way. Extend the slide. When retracting the slide do the same thing. Raise the rear jacks all the way (lower the rear). Then raise the front of the coach all the way (lower the front jacks). Retract the slide. Once either process is complete, level the coach (if arriving) or prepare to leave (if departing).

The above processes has kept the reveal satisfactory for extending and retracting the slide. For some reason the slide moves forward during travel. Newmar has moved the slide toward the rear. However, it is a haunted slide and continues to creep forward during travel.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #223

Anyone have handy a structural blow up of a Newmar FWS slide system? My mechanical mind is looking at why does GaryKD have to go through so much hassle to move the slides in and out.

For example, I don't see why the slide would have the ability to move forward / backwards. It should be contained by "rubbing blocks" or "guides" to keep the positioning of the slide relatively in the middle of it's opening. There are a lot of ways this could be implemented to achieve the same end result and am curious on how Newmar has approached it. That would then give a clue on what Newmar would need to do to GaryKD's unit so he doesn't have to go through gymnastics.

For those that might not have read my MA's renovation story, mine was hit really bad. All the slides were moved. The openings were altered. All had to be resized and then readjusted. And today, they work well in pretty much any realistic position of on airbags, on levelers, at any height. I just ensure that the coach is reasonably level before moving them, and all is good. I haven't needed to bother to check any of the gaps / reveals as it hasn't been any issue. And the gaps aren't perfect today as I never did final tweeking of settings (yet). There is lots of "slop" in the system that addresses minor irregularities. Compared to my background of race car / custom car fabrication, the gaps are HUGE on an RV. But mine is not an FWS and I can see how that would magnify any issues.

From a control system perspective, I think I will allow for customization of the sequencing of the system to allow the installer / owner the flexibility of following whatever sequence they find is appropriate for their system. I certainly don't want to take the liability of not following XYZ's OEMs official process. Even if I disagree with it mechanically. So, that's what i have learned in the 222 posts in this thread. So thank you all for the education.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:14 AM   #224

RB, I will try to post a picture.

GaryKD, Do you save the finicky slide for last?

Thanks
David
kdnash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, slide, slideout