Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
Toward the end of our trip, I did try that with limited success. The problem is that unlike my previous gasser, I have a very difficult time feeling the bump when the jacks touch ground when NOT using auto level. My wife's vision is not that great and it is hard for her to see the jacks when they touch. ex. There are times in darker areas of campgrounds (under trees or shade) when she thought the jacks were touching the ground and but weren't.

I'm going to have to prefect some sort of plan that works so I don't have to keep running in and out of the coach.

I agree it is hard to feel. Perhaps extend until you feel sight upward movement.

Another pitfall of auto-level is the only corrections it makes are upward, even though going down on the opposing end would work the same and keep the coach closer to the ground.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
That is the key to this circular discussion about slides outs. The HWH Sensing unit in my NA is located in the middle of the coach. So it is very possible that the sensing unit can be "level" while all four corners the coach are not level (ie chassis out of square or twisted).

So level is not level when you use just one sensing unit. Given all the problems with slide outs and chassis twist the best solution would be a leveling system with 4 level sensors, one each in all 4 corners of the coach.
Hmmm, if the unit is autoleveled and that system has been calibrated to be true...if you raise one leg, it will go out of level and the chassis would then be torqued (worse case).

If your wheels are on the ground, it is what it is with regards to twist and / or level. It might be fine, and then it might not be fine. Which brings up a question (probably answered in the other one hundred thread on the topic...)...If you drive to your campsite, and KNOW it isn't level...do you extend the slides? ie: extend then level

The sloppy use case is the RV is not torqued, but it also isn't level. ie: both drivers side wheels or levelers are down the same distance from the pass side legs. But your bubble level would show that (which is essentially with the auto leveler uses).

So, mechanically, not there yet. But let's keep the debate going...the CHF Ford F53 thread still has a lot more posts than this one
Old 08-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I agree it is hard to feel. Perhaps extend until you feel sight upward movement.

Another pitfall of auto-level is the only corrections it makes are upward, even though going down on the opposing end would work the same and keep the coach closer to the ground.
Equalizer "claims" that it will raise and lower as necessary. Do you have HWH or Equalizer?

Not sure if in practice it works as advertised.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have HWH
Old 08-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #61

I think it would be interesting for leveling systems if there was a pressure sensor on each hydraulic line going to the legs. That way as soon as the pressure spiked, you know the pad hit the ground and the pump was now having to work to raise the weight. I believe each leg goes back to the solenoids connected at the pump so all sensors would be in one place for easier wiring. Heck, could make it bluetooth / wiFi...

Wouldn't be that hard to add. Anyone off the top know how many PSI a typical leveling leg sees? I guess I could look at HWH's website...

EDIT:
"Jack pressure switches are a single wire switch produced by HWH®. It is used as an information switch. The switch is a normally open switch and completes a ground circuit when the switch contacts close. Jack pressure switches, for the most part, do not have a specific pressure rating. The exception to this is a jack pressure switch set at 550 psi. This switch has its own part number. The switch setting depends on the size of jack and the weight of the vehicle. Jack pressure switches are adjustable and may need to be adjusted after installation. Switches installed at HWH® on larger jacks are set at a higher pressure, but the replacement switches (except the 550 psi switch) are all the same setting, 140 psi. Jack pressure switches are used to let the system computer know that jack is on the ground. Most jack switches are used on computerized leveling systems during the stabilizing part of the leveling procedure. On towable units, the front jack pressure switches must be on to start an automatic leveling or store procedure."

I guess the switches are already there...maybe it needs adjustment? Now that I know the approx. psi (other areas of the system are rated at 3000 and 5000 psi so that is probably max PSI) I would probably make it a variable pressure sensor...either way it's now easy to integrate into the RV Control Center...
Old 08-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #62

Quote:
I have HWH
Might be vaporware, which I'm used to in the software world, but both on their website and their posts on here, they claim to extend and retract to ensure it's as lower to the ground as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQSystems View Post
Three of Newmars product lines feature Auto Level by Equalizer Systems. There are some very noticeable differences between our products and HWH, one being that we don't use springs to retract the jacks. Our hydraulic pump extends and retracts the jacks, allowing the coach to stay lower to the ground during the leveling process. If you have any questions about the Auto Level system on a Newmar or any other RV we're used on, feel free to give us a call!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQSystems View Post
I'm not sure if I'm here answering specific questions, or just giving a little general information, but here's my two cents:

When leveling the coach, be sure the air is fully dumped. IF that's not happening, there's an issue in the timing of the sequence.

When retracting the jacks, be sure the coach is fully aired back up before pressing the All Retract button. This generally limits the amount of roll you'll get as the jacks come up.

As far as the leveling process goes, the idea that our system only levels while lifting and can't lower the coach back down to achieve level is false. The goal is to level the RV as close the ground as possible.

Hopefully this info is at least somewhat helpful!
Quote:
Since its introduction, our Class A Auto-Leveling system has quickly become the premium choice in RV leveling systems. Utilizing 4 two-way hydraulic cylinders, Auto-Level has the ability to extend and retract the legs during the leveling sequence. The automatic, one touch operation levels a motorhome in less than two minutes, operating each leg independently in a sequential process.

This sequential leveling is a patented process that provides a more precise level throughout the length of the vehicle, adding stability to the vehicle while leveling it as low to the ground as possible. It’s quick, easy and on the level!
https://equalizersystems.com/product...placing-order/
Old 08-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Interesting, my system has retract springs, in fact there is a recall on 2018 Spartans for hitting the springs on tight wheel cuts while backing.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #64

Quote:
Interesting, my system has retract springs, in fact there is a recall on 2018 Spartans for hitting the springs on tight wheel cuts while backing.
The skeptic in me says that if the Equalizer system was so much better, why is it standard on the lower end Newmars and HWH on the high end coaches. That said, I'm hoping that on the "lower to the ground" it works as advertised.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The FWS are also HWH and share the same pump
Old 08-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #66

Quote:
The FWS are also HWH and share the same pump
True. My less floor doesn't rely on hydraulics.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
True. My less floor doesn't rely on hydraulics.

Lol, I’ll look forward to your report[emoji4]
Old 08-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Lol, I’ll look forward to your report[emoji4]
My Jeep is loaded to the gills and I leave Wednesday morning to meet my less-floor coach.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
My Jeep is loaded to the gills and I leave Wednesday morning to meet my less-floor coach.

Very exciting! Congratulations
Old 08-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Day 1 at factory, I asked the questions to tour guide and the answer was 'talk to service' so hopefully I will tomorrow.

I was able to verify one thing with my own eyes watching them put slides in and know they didn't start the engine to air up and didn't see any air hose hook up, so I am concluding that they put the slides in with the unit sitting on the air pads (not air bags) on a level and square shop floor.

Also, was told by 3 others (not newmar people, owners) that are here and they all said Newmar techs said ITS ALL ABOUT THE GAP... So I will report when I hear the answer from my questions from the source...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, slide, slideout