Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #113

For my Georgetownn the dealer (Camping World) advised:
Auto level first.
Then slides.
Then if necessary a manual level adjustment.
Seems to make sense..
Does anyone use the after market slide supports?
Devonjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2018, 11:37 AM   #114
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"FatChance"......You are exactly right! I owned a Monaco and it's deployment of the slides was designed around a three jack system, that if not deployed correctly would crack the windshield. Deploying most other slides are a no brainer, but a Full Wall Slide is a different story, can't be compared to smaller multiple slides.

I was sitting right behind "Stuart W" as the Newmar reps stated what Stuart posted above. It's all about common sense.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheyberr View Post
Newmar's instructions and official position is slideouts first then leveling. When I queried them the answer was basically 1) the engineers want to avoid any twisting/stressing on the frame and slideouts, and 2) this is really important for the full-wall slide and they chose to be consistent for other slides as well.

This is for electric slides, hydraulic might be different.

In my experience (12 years with electric slides only) it seems better to be level before attempting slides. I had one situation (a tire tread separation) in which the slant of the road made it impossible to get a slide back in after putting it out to get to some tools. I had to pull into the center of the road to get level before the slide would come in.

I'm interested in hearing other experiences, not so much opinions if not based on experience.

Thanks!
Richard
2018 Ventana 3412

I have always leveled first. When I put out the slides I then support them with jacks to take the twist away if there is indeed any twist. I have one that is 18' it is the first to get any support.
This slide is certainly not as long or heavy as many of the superslides on many of the newer motor homes. But, they do not extend nearly as far as my large slide, 42". So, this is where the most twist would occur.
OleTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #116
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
PERSONALLY, I would never put any type of supports under a slide. If your jacks were to pop a seal or someone forget, you could destroy a slide. Even without a jack issue, many coaches will settle as they sit, depending on the ground. If a coach settles two inches, you could stretch slide mechanisms or even break the slide loose from the wall.....just not a good idea. Your coach was designed to support the slide without any external supports.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
PERSONALLY, I would never put any type of supports under a slide. If your jacks were to pop a seal or someone forget, you could destroy a slide. Even without a jack issue, many coaches will settle as they sit, depending on the ground. If a coach settles two inches, you could stretch slide mechanisms or even break the slide loose from the wall.....just not a good idea. Your coach was designed to support the slide without any external supports.
I agree with DSD. Slide supports ceased to be of any value back in the 80's when actual "tipouts" disappeared. Using them on a modern coach has disastrous potential. Unless you are parked on a full concrete slab I can just about guarantee your jacks will settle in the ground over the course of a few hours and certainly over a few days. Even on a concrete slab you can get settling due to a little hydraulic bleed back in the jack system.

From his profile, it looks like Ole Tom has a 21' Terry Travel Trailer that may be permanently set up in a park. That's a whole different kettle of fish from a modern Newmar Class A motorcoach.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #118

If the manufacturer wanted me to use supports, they would have provided them. Accidentally press the retract all on the jacks before you retract the slides and you have a real problem.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:04 PM   #119

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"FatChance"......You are exactly right! I owned a Monaco and it's deployment of the slides was designed around a three jack system, that if not deployed correctly would crack the windshield. Deploying most other slides are a no brainer, but a Full Wall Slide is a different story, can't be compared to smaller multiple slides.

I was sitting right behind "Stuart W" as the Newmar reps stated what Stuart posted above. It's all about common sense.
I have read several of the posts and it just amazes me.

Now to be clear this is for NEWMAR only. When the builder of a product says in a written statement SB in Jan 2015 that they want you to put the slide out and in on the air bags only folks want to argue with them.

If you have ever been to the plant you would see that the slides are put in with "the coach on it's air bags". The holes are cut and the slide are installed. So why on Gods green earth do people want to be hard headed and insist that they know better. BTW the folks at most dealerships really don't know nor do they care because it is not their motor home.

Pull into your site, shut down the engine, walk around the outside to check the revel on all of your slides, if it is good put your slides out, level your coach. When leaving Auto Store your jacks, start the engine when the air system bleeds off, shut the engine and retract the slides and if there are two if you check each slide outside as it goes in to make sure it is going in with the correct revel all around.

Don't have a clue about how any other brand wants to do it. But Newmar give explicit directions to follow.

This is not hard and you may save yourself some really big problems.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Can't imagine having to look at the gaps every time before extending the slide.........Newmar's slide's were always bullet proof till some years back when the full wall slide came along. I have never read where American Coach owner's have this problem....And thinking they were the first to have a FWS? There are other's manufacture's that also have them.........why is this FWS problem just seem to be with Newmar??
In my Mountain Aire I have sat on the long couch and rode the slide out(Not a FWS).......with no change in sound or operation.........
Things are not built today like years ago!
Old 08-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #121

Newmar Owners Club
My advice is to those without a full wall slide forget this entire thread. Since 05 I have leveled first and then deployed the slides. Worked for 13 years and will, most likely, continue to work,
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #122

My coach has automatic air leveling (no jacks). and the manufacturer recommends leveling first then extending the slides. With this system and my last hydraulic jack system, they recommend dumping the travel air suspension system prior to leveling the vehicle. My system also check the level periodically and makes adjustments as needed unless I shut it off after leveling.
My experience after having 8 coaches and 1 fifth wheel is that I prefer to level first and then extend the slides.
oldvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #123

Exclamation Twisting

My last motorhome was a 2002 Dutch Star, and I understand Newmar's position. I always leveled, then put slides out, until I experience a "crack" about six inches long between edge of rear slide and the lower storage door. My advice, park on level lots only with jacks for stabilization, not leveling. Twisting of the body and frame is a real issue when leveling with jacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheyberr View Post
Newmar's instructions and official position is slideouts first then leveling. When I queried them the answer was basically 1) the engineers want to avoid any twisting/stressing on the frame and slideouts, and 2) this is really important for the full-wall slide and they chose to be consistent for other slides as well.

This is for electric slides, hydraulic might be different.

In my experience (12 years with electric slides only) it seems better to be level before attempting slides. I had one situation (a tire tread separation) in which the slant of the road made it impossible to get a slide back in after putting it out to get to some tools. I had to pull into the center of the road to get level before the slide would come in.

I'm interested in hearing other experiences, not so much opinions if not based on experience.

Thanks!
Richard
2018 Ventana 3412
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:13 PM   #124

What is the difference in theory between a Full Wall Slide and multiple smaller slides with respect to leveling or not before sliding?

I will take a stab that a FWS being larger, is more susceptible to gap differences as the torque on the chassis is magnified by the longer length of the slide. So, the chassis has to be more level on a FWS equipped than smaller slides.

Is that the difference?

Surfside - I will suggest that if you saw a "crack" (gap? / reveal?) that was six inches difference from front to back of the slide...your chassis was not level even if you thought it was. That is a huge difference and the chassis was very twisted. Something not right there. Or I am not understanding what you are saying. That would mean one corner of the RV was at least a foot different from plane than the opposite corner.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #125

My Berkshire 38' DP in the owners manual says to level than slides, which makes sense. PS they are hydraulic slides.
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #126

2019 Entegra “Aspire” calls for extending all slideouts, then leveling the coach. When departing, first retract the jacks and then retract the slideouts. This is just the opposite from all my previous coaches over 26 yrs.
motorhomedon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, slide, slideout