Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
SLIDES. Driving me crazy

Hi to everyone here is the problem hope someone has an answer!!!!!
2005 Mtn Aire 3 slides, bedroom has two slides and these are the two that are driving me crazy
So press the button, the locks unlock the voice go s then NOTHING
Have pressed the button 2 times in a row NOTHING
Pulled the fuse waited put it back in NOTHING
Right now the bedroom slide is in and unlocked won't do NOTHING
Used the coach last wknd same thing finally left it for an hour went back slide went out, next day all slides went in without a problem and locked

So as I say it is sitting here plugged in 30 amp service passenger side slide unlocked but won't lock go out !!!!! Or won't lock again

Pulling my hair out !!!! Does anyone have any suggestions
Sometimes but few and far between , press the button and the slides go out first time
So confused
Thanks
Mtnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I ran into a similar issue, it's discussed in this thread. Read that and you might get some ideas about diagnosing your specific issue.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
So just went out to the shop again
Pressed button twice and the slide locked
Pressed it again firmly and out it went

So maybe switch, since both bedroom slides are together separate switches but same box
How much voltage should be there
Crazy
Mtnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnaire View Post
So just went out to the shop again
Pressed button twice and the slide locked
Pressed it again firmly and out it went

So maybe switch, since both bedroom slides are together separate switches but same box
How much voltage should be there
Crazy
Try finding the controllers for each slide. On my former 06 they were attached to the frame in an outside compartment (both controllers for the slides on a side are next to each other- same with the other side) On the controller you will find a very tiny knob that you can turn. This will increase the amperage and probably solve your problem. Just turn it a bit ( I believe there is a + and - indicator) the + direction and try the slides. If they still do not go turn it a bit more. Try in small increments because too much amperage could do damage.

Hope that works for you.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mtaire, the link provided can help with the bedroom slide but you will need to do some maintenance on the slide switch's because moisture more than likely has caused contact problems in the slide locking switch.

Here is a link that will provide info on the passenger side slide plus the slide lock will also need some maintenance. There is a new seal that is provided for the slide switch locks to prevent water from entering the switch once fixed.

Getting at this slide motor is more difficult if there is a problem with it or the linkage or drive wheels for "D" rail for slide.

Here is some more info on bed slide, all these links can be found in the QT's links 1 & 2 and the new # 3.

I do not think you need to adjust the pots on slide controllers you may do more damage if you do and when you do need to adjust you only turn the pots in very small increments.

The only pot I ever had to adjust on my coach and others was the LR slide and that was to get the slide rollers up the ramp.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Your problem sounds similar to the one I had recently with slide out. Someone posted this video for me. It could be very helpful if you find yourself stuck somewhere, with a slide out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=umiWq2dTHvs
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to 2KingsKids
We had a problem with one of our two slideouts in 2012 and after I called the factory they directed me to look at the control box. I moved the connectors a little and the slide worked. Seems to have been a loose contact since it has run great since then.
Another instance we spent all of November 2013 in St Augustine at Bryn Mawr and after the noreasters whipped up, the slide out lock that took the brunt of it was so corroded that the tech at Independence in Winter Garden had to clean the pin on a wire wheel to really free it up again.
2KingsKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #8

Just a shot in the dark, no pun intended, but try the slides with ALL the lights out. You may have a 12v problem.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 with Ramets. Just came upon this thread, and that was my first reaction.

In my '02, neither the kitchen nor the bedroom slide will operate in either direction if the fluorescent light in the bathroom is on. Likewise, with that same light on the shutoff relay on the propane furnace will not latch. I'm pretty sure it's a ground loop problem or some other 12v weirdness, but so far not worth trying to trace. We just make sure the light's off. 😉

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #10

If I load the bed with the stuff that you travel with and it adds weight to the slide and it will not carry the load mine works great till I load the bed with as little as 10 lbs 04 ma4 slides 4301
myliladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myliladog View Post
If I load the bed with the stuff ......

Wow, I'd be in real trouble if I couldn't put stuff on the bed for traveling! Both my LR and BR slides are pretty heavy.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Florescent light ballasts if defective can send out RF frequency's causing problems with the slide controllers.
Even with your Micro/convection at times.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same intermittent problem with both my rear bedroom slides. I could wait awhile, sometimes minutes and sometimes hours and it would work again. It stumped factory and dealer techs and frustrated me for 5 years. Finally they were stuck in out position and I was getting ready to leave on a trip and could not get them to move. Called a mobile tech and he checked everything that had previously been checked over the last 5 years with no luck. He finally checked the slide switches in the bedroom.Both bad. Replaced both and haven't had a the problem again in three years. He charged me $5 for each switch, camping world had them for $3. Best $6 ever spent. For the price change the switch and try it.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #14

Do you have your engine running when you work your slides??
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide