Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Slides the Good, Bad and the Ugly

OK that's about it, members over the years have had problems but these days some days are very ugly.
Will try to make things as easy as possible as to what maybe going on since 2004 but since 2013 things have been tough for some members.

I WANT TO THANK these members in this thread that helped me get things started with pictures and comments, they were much appreciated, Thank You 007

DO NOT MOVE SLIDES WITH JUST YOUR BATTERIES USE THE GEN OR A GOOD 110 VOLTS TO YOUR 12V CONVERTER TO MOVE YOUR SLIDES. === I say this because of the result of a large FWS not fully extending and on inward movement when closing possibly ripping up floor tiles and causing a big mess. We have Newmar FWS's and the new HWH FWS which are covered in rest of this thread.

Adjusting Slide Saddle's --- slide tight at bottom open at the top.

MORE ON SLIDE WALL ADJUSTMENTS read all links that are provided.

SLIDE CONTROLLERS

MAINTENANCE OF ALL SLIDE SEALS & REMOVAL 0F SLIDE TOPPER FOR SEAL REPLACEMENT

========== TORQUE BUSHINGS =============

A good place to start because you will hear and see this on many threads with slides. The torque bushings are what is on the drive shaft with the cog wheels tied together to the motor and need to be released to remove motor and some time to get the older slides flush with their slide openings against the main wall of coach. --- Crows foot wrench's

Two settings for tightened the bushings the 3/4" shaft bushing is tightened to 125# and the 1" SHAFT is tightened to 145#.

Releasing torque bushings and removing motor.

ANOTHER RELEASE OF TORQUE BUSHINGS PLUS REPLACING A BROKEN COG WHEEL === by mfredm

BROKEN SLIDE MOTOR ON VENTANA

========= MOTOR BOLTS & GEAR HOUSINGS ========

This will be a biggie lots to be added broken motor bolts,-- broken gears,--- brackets,-- loose guide bolts to name a few. I have a big thread to brake down.

To start I will place this seasonal check list thread of items related to motor bolt problem, transfer switch fires, wiring of OASIS Heater, to name a few.

SEASONAL CHECK LIST --This was added this year at the top of this sticky.

The following pages 223 to 280 should be read info on bolts, TSB's, broken brackets and general discussion about the bolt problem. This only a section of this long thread.

I would read the following posts 397-405 has to do with the adjusting pot on your controller boards, they maybe turned up to high causing broken brackets, in my opinion, the pots should only be turned up for proper operation of slides to function safely.

Another case of maybe a slide controller turned up to high causing cracked gear housings and motors.

Another case in 2015 coach slide broken drive shaft, was controller pot set to high.

I have been reading thru this thread and everyone is torquing the motor bolts at different value's to low, last I have seen there are two torque's values . - NEWMAR TSB MOTOR BOLTS TORQUE's All coach's with loose bolts.

YOU MAY FIND THIS THREAD OF INTEREST TO ELIMINATE LOOSE MOTOR BOLTS

EXCELLENT DESCRIPTION OF MOTORS AND GEAR PARTS FOR ALL SLIDES, NEAR END OF THIS OWNERS GUIDE.

============== SLIDE SYSTEMS ====== SLIDE SEAL MAINTENANCE ====

A short history of Newmar Slide Systems by Tom Chelbana

1997 SLIDE SPEC

A PDF TO FIX MOST PROBLEMS WITH A SLIDE not the FWS's

WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IF YOUR LR RAMP ROTS FROM WATER INTRUSION.

WATER FRIEND OR FOE

REPLACEMENT OF SLIDE SEALS by dbike 199

In the 1998 KSCA I had a kitchen slide for wife which was huge she couldn't reach the back corner for cooking items, it was so deep but she loved it and it was on the drivers side and rodekyll has supplied us with pictures of his underside.

It shows the rails for cog wheels, hinge metal bend for wiring into slide, stop rods and brackets, drive shaft from motor, which mine in 98 was mounted outside compartments, behind the LP gas tank exposed to rain and road salts here in the N.E., so you can imagine the problems with that.
I think a little black spray paint would help the rust stop and the brackets from braking as they do flex a little bit as slide stops with help of the threaded stop rods, the stop rod travels thru another bracket up in the coach.
These older kitchen slides, with kitchen and coach, did not drop down a ramp as LR slides most are familiar with now, they were raised flat floors and only went out about 16" and stopping.

=================== 12v POWER LOCK's =============

Before power locks the slides at both ends of slide were locked by a
hinged metal bar and people would forget to release them before moving the slide and causing the cog wheel to skip a hole in the slide rail below in compartment. If you could not lock or unlock by hand you had a bar to use to accomplish that.

POWER LOCKS COULD BE THE UGLY <<<<<< LINK
Most 12v power locks would eventually run into problems caused by rain getting into the Actuator when the slide was open allowing the rain to get into the lock box at the corners of the slide that had them.

RECENT SLIDE LOCK PROBLEM WITH ACTUATOR

BEARING PROBLEMS WITH SLIDE LOCKS

AND SOME MORE POWER LOCK PROBLEM's

REPLACEMENT CONTROLLERS CLICK ON PICTURE FOR ORDERING

A NEW CONTROLLER NOW USED BY NEWMAR, NO LONGER USE C-STORM CONTROLS-- SLIDE MOTOR & GEAR REPLACEMENT --- RESET C CONTROLLER ----- If motor has difficulty moving slide reset C controller

Newmar than changed their locks to a mechanical lock that unlocks as slide opens and will lock slide to interior wall as slide closes, with out the need of a slide lock controller.
This link with video will show operation and some tips on keeping the rod and spring of lock lubed so water does not bind it up as this OP in thread found out. === FOR 2020 GAS COACH's this thread explains the lock system now in use.
Mother nature sure loves Newmars.

A new slide lock problem encounter by RudysDay that others have had also, if the locks are not maintained.

A 2003 kitchen slide on passenger side, with the pictures of a 2003 coach by rlott2k
You see motor the bar with two cog wheels, the strips with holes for cog wheels and electrical wires feeding the kitchen slide, the bar will have torque bushings to release shaft from motor for adjusting slide if crooked in its opening.

2006 SLIDE SPEC

REMOVE CENTER MOTOR OF 2006 KITCHEN SLIDE

OTHER MOTOR REMOVALS

2007 BEDROOM VANITY SLIDE OD'd

KITCHEN SLIDE DIFFERENT SHOULDER BOLTS SPEC

Broken stop rod bracket on extended LR Slide - 2008 coach but could be any year coach. The rods are at both ends of a slide. -- MY COMMENTS ON THIS

------------------------- BEDROOM SLIDES =======

Broken bedroom slide stop bracket under bed can apply to any year coach not to just a 2018 Mountain Aire

We have broken brackets we will add a broken stop rod under bed, why not. ========= WHAT's UNDER THE BED LOOKS LIKE

LARGE BEDROOM MASTER BED SLIDE by handstjg

WHY IS EVERYTHING BRAKING my take on this.

2011 DSDP CHAIN DRIVEN KITCHEN SLIDE

Kitchen slide shoulder bolts if loose the slide will creep forward or back in its wall opening, this spec at tail end has pictures, will show locations, the bolts four of them guide the kitchen slide pans straight in and out.
This OP 2014 DSDP had a problem with his kitchen slide getting stuck, the thread will give the answer how it was resolved after I found out what slide we were talking about.

KITCHEN SLIDE PROXIMITY SWITCH

Here is a 2016 kitchen slide which has two motors and cog wheels mounted to their shafts by ftharrisiii
Its two motors are controlled by the KBI two motor Controller.

================= PLUMBING KITCHEN SLIDE's ============

REPAIR KITCHEN DRAIN HOSE

The plumbing for kitchen slides has changed over the years and mine in 1998 was something to behold compared to the large drain hose and flexible water lines and all the electrical all tied together now.
This drain line brass fitting 2004 coach would swivel as the slide moved plus it had the drain "P" trap, now a days they do not use a brass swivel joint, they use a Muffler as this OP called it, it turns as slide moves.

The STAR CHASSIS to support the new heavier HWH FWS plus many 2016 chassis needed the front end axle changed because of the added weight.

======== FULL WALL SLIDES 2013 TO PRESENT ======

COACH's ALL GAS COACH's AND KOUNTRY STAR, VENTANA DP's USE KIB TWO MOTOR CONTROL === HERE IS A THREAD FOR FWS SLIDE ADJUSTMENT OF ONE END NOT FLUSH

Newmar between [B]2013 to present KIB dual motor controller,----Newmar's own slide system motor locations.
They were still using the cog wheels and rails with the holes but with two motors on base of slide to move the FWS in and out, as long as the reveal was correct around the FWS you could move slide out.

JUST SO YOU KNOW IT MAY NOT ALWAYS BE A SOFTWARE PROBLEM AS THIS THREAD WITH A CRACKED REAR SLIDE RAIL by griegert

The Newmar FWS slide system has an adjustment of its COG wheel, BOTH ENDS, that may become loose.

In 2016-17 they moved to the

READ THIS INFORMATION EXTENDING YOUR FWS

WHAT IF ROLLERS COME OFF HOLDING BRACKETS BOTTOM OF SLIDE OF FWS

READ THIS INFORMATION TO RESET A CROOKED FWS

In 2018 we had the birth of a new motor home the NEW AIRE in this link is a good one to read for everyone interested in any new Newmar coach model Mike Mas ( Idelrod) really broke down the difference in deciding which model he would be interested in buying 3341 & 3343 floor plans, actual space. structural integrity of coach's and slides plus many other items.

HWH FWS CREEPS OUT, ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM

====
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK new slide thread is just about done some items for FWS need to be added, if you have been following I have added many new links for all slide systems more than just the kitchen slides I was just going to do originally.
Have some items to add one from roadkyll and others.
One question I ask info on was about bolts or pictures, well I found the info and if you have a kitchen slide you need to read information I placed.
Tried to keep years from old to new so you can jump to your year to cut down on your reading.
Have fun.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
More adds last night.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK one last run thru, this information link on all types of slides will always be in this link when you need it.
Closed Thread

Tags
slide