RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #1

I went out a bit ago, ran all of my slides in and unplugged from shore power. I have an appointment first thing in the morning to take my Class B driving test (I can't believe I passed the written & eye tests...). Before I left the coach I switched the main 12V to STORE and turned off the LPG detector.
My Magnum Energy inverter/converter display is still powered up, the top POWER L.E.D. is dimly lit(I never noticed this before, but OK) and the display is showing a 3 amp drain from something. While not a big drain, that is still more than enough to kill my batteries. What could be drawing power?

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #2

I went out a bit ago, ran all of my slides in and unplugged from shore power. I have an appointment first thing in the morning to take my Class B driving test (I can't believe I passed the written & eye tests...). Before I left the coach I switched the main 12V to STORE and turned off the LPG detector.
My Magnum Energy inverter/converter display is still powered up, the top POWER L.E.D. is dimly lit(I never noticed this before, but OK) and the display is showing a 3 amp drain from something. While not a big drain, that is still more than enough to kill my batteries. What could be drawing power?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #3

The known parasitic loads will be LPG detector (<<0.5amp) and the inverter in idle mode (~2.0amp look in your manual for the exact idle load). So that accounts for a tad over 2.0 amp of the load. The rest is loads that just happen.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #4

The inverter is off, I even turned it on and back off just to make sure. The LPG detector is also off. Everything is off as far as I can tell. The only thing that is working is the ME display, even with the switch in store.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #5

Congrats on passing your test! I am still running on my CDL learners from Virginia and will do the driving test this spring. I'll be sure to "never" look straight ahead and always wildly throw my head from side to side like watching a tennis match on steroids!

Your OP said the inverter "display" was on (though dimly) which I might suggest infers the inverter is still on in some way and drawing some juice. The ME display is taking some load itself.

In my opinion, 3amps is not an outrageous parasitic load though it will deplete your batteries in no time.

I'd look around for a hidden (basement?) light on, or some other rogue load. Maybe pull some key fuses while you monitor the load to see what is going on. That should help isolate the drain.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 AM   #6

How do you know that you have a 3 amp drain? Is there a device that will tell you? I have a digital volt meter but where do you measure parasitic load?

2005 Dutch Star
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #7

Best way to measure any load, especially parasitic, is to pull a battery cable. I'd suggest the plus to the inverter, the plus to the house and if you have it the 6v plus to the dim-able lights - that should be the full extent of battery connections. Insert an ammeter at each point and you'll start isolating what's going on. If it's just parasitic loads your voltmeter should have the amperage capability. Otherwise, you'll need special high amperage equipment. Be careful with those cables not to short them, there is a lot of power in 12v batteries.