Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2023, 11:12 PM   #1

Slow water drainage in 2021 DSDP. What to do?

Recently noticed that the master shower in my 2021 Dutch Star 4362 has slow water drainage. I know that there is a waterless drain and I can't just stick something down the drain to break up hair/gunk that might be clogging up the drain. However, I'm not at all sure what I can do.

Not even sure there is a hair clog there. But I can't seem to lift up the silver drain cover to look closer. And can't see much looking through the cover either.

Searching online for what to do is fairly ineffective since everything I try assumes your shower has a P trap. Even though my search terms clearly include "waterless".

Anyone have any idea of maintenance for these things?
dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2023, 03:46 AM   #2

A read here might help - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/clo...in-453937.html
Old 06-06-2023, 08:26 AM   #3

Try Instant Power 1650 Crystal Lye Drain Cleaner. This should work on the p trap.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:51 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The silver drain cover comes off. You need to remove it. Under that cover is a crossbar (+) that holds/traps hair.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:18 AM   #5

Thanks all.

That linked page appears to talk about earlier models that still used a P-trap which holds water to stop tank gases from coming back out. My model year definitely has a "waterless trap" as I was told such by my Newmar tech at my last mothership visit. Trouble is, he didn't say which one it was and a search shows multiple types exist in the market.

That said, I didn't want to try the plunger because didn't want to risk inverting any sealing duck bill flaps.

But we did try some "Green Gobbler" cleaner that says it liquefies organic matter like hair, wax, solidified fats, etc. It looks like this mostly works when there is moisture on the material in question. We solved that by applying it between two showers about 15 mins apart. Multiple applications appears to have cleaned this situation up - it seems to be draining regularly now. But even one application appeared to help a bit.

The wife just ordered some of those disposable hair catcher drain toppers. Maybe this won't happen again?
Old 06-09-2023, 09:55 AM   #6

Understanding your fear of plungering and sucking the rubber flap backwards - that easy to fix by just rapidly pushing the full plunger down against the drain.

Having water in the drain will help (the water decreases the area that the volume of air has to travel in - which increase its velocity and possible applies more pressure to invert the flap back).

Only problem with drain cleaners is, especially on horizontal pipes, is that unless the pipe is full of water, they only contact the part of the pipe and goo of where the water is.

If it worked for you - keep using it - but realize it may be a somewhat temporary solution.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
jrs

The wife just ordered some of those disposable hair catcher drain toppers. Maybe this won't happen again?[/QUOTE]
DW purchased a stainless steel flat drain topper/screen soon after DS purchase and it's surprising how much hair is caught after a single shower. So far, the shower drain still works well.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:56 PM   #8

Hair? Who has hair (or who has enough hair to clog
G a shower drain) ?
Old 06-10-2023, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Hair? Who has hair (or who has enough hair to clog
G a shower drain) ?
Some of us travel with female partners with longer hair than ourselves.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp1991 View Post
Some of us travel with female partners with longer hair than ourselves.
I could respond - but am certain a bolt of lightening would come right thru the roof and kill me dead the mount I hit “Send”.

Tags
water