Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Small solar panel

I was up on the roof of my 2015 LADP the other day. I noticed a very small solar panel approximately straight up from the drivers seat on the roof.

Any idea what that is?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #2

I believe that tiny panel is to maintain the chassis batteries
Old 10-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #3

It's supposed to charge the batteries. I've never found it very helpful.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also suspect it is to recharge the chassis battery. The ones I've seen are typically like 50 to 80 watts. Not very much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #5

Maintains chassis battery in storage.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I highly doubt such a small solar panel has any impact on charging house batteries. But you are probably right.

I cant think of any other logical explanation for it being there.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponserv View Post
Thanks for the replies. I highly doubt such a small solar panel has any impact on charging house batteries. But you are probably right.

I cant think of any other logical explanation for it being there.
Definitely will not charge house.

It is a 10w Zamp Solar panel...and to my knowledge...it is direct wired to the chassis batteries...no controller, as it doesn’t produce more than a trickle.

If you want something to truly charge your batteries...a good solar system with controller charging your house...will also charge the chassis thru the bi-directional relay. Best thing is...it does this everyday as the sun comes up...kicks into bulk mode...absorb..then float. During this time...you will notice the voltage on the house and chassis running the same charging voltages... I am not quite sure why Newmar even bothers with the 10w panel...it is more of a novelty than anything.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #8

It is not intended to recharge your batteries. It will, however, maintain them if you store your unit where it can’t be plugged in. I put an 80 watt panel on mine and was told it won’t be adequate. So I bought another 80 watt panel but I’ve never installed it. My original installation is WAY more than adequate for maintaining both the house and chassis batteries.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #9

Solar Panels

. . . . . . . talking of solar panels and battery charging . . . . we are now hunkered down for winter at our Southern Cal resort for the next four months or so with full hookups. That said the solar panels continue to send a charge to the batteries and that charge is controlled by the Solar Charge Controller (SCC) at a maximum of 14.4v. At least that is the theory provided everthing remains 'as designed'.
As we are on shore power is there any reason to disconnect the system or should I just leave it 'as is'. Hopefully the SCC will send out an alarm if it should cease to control the charge - right?
mwd1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd1508 View Post
. . . . . . . talking of solar panels and battery charging . . . . we are now hunkered down for winter at our Southern Cal resort for the next four months or so with full hookups. That said the solar panels continue to send a charge to the batteries and that charge is controlled by the Solar Charge Controller (SCC) at a maximum of 14.4v. At least that is the theory provided everthing remains 'as designed'.
As we are on shore power is there any reason to disconnect the system or should I just leave it 'as is'. Hopefully the SCC will send out an alarm if it should cease to control the charge - right?
No...each charger will work nicely together...while connected to shore power.

There are some times when you are on solar, but want a faster charge on generator, that you have to trick the onboard charger to enter bulk mode. Other than that...they will both charge the batteries as they see fit.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
No...each charger will work nicely together...while connected to shore power.

There are some times when you are on solar, but want a faster charge on generator, that you have to trick the onboard charger to enter bulk mode. Other than that...they will both charge the batteries as they see fit.
Thanks for the info! Just so I understand - you mention "each charger" that means that as designed either the shore power or the solar panels can charge the batteries and that they work in combination to keep the batteries charged 'as required'? As such no need to do anything while we are parked for this extended time period.
Hope my understanding is correct . . . and thank you once again.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will see the circuit information for Solar panel at end of this link which come from this large sticky.
The panel is only for the chassis batteries.
If you want something for house batteries this may help you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd1508 View Post
Thanks for the info! Just so I understand - you mention "each charger" that means that as designed either the shore power or the solar panels can charge the batteries and that they work in combination to keep the batteries charged 'as required'? As such no need to do anything while we are parked for this extended time period.
Hope my understanding is correct . . . and thank you once again.
I don't want to mislead you. If we are talking about the single 10w Zamp Solar panel...that is a non regulated trickle for the chassis.

If you had extra panels and charge controller added...we're on the same page.

The best way to think of it is...each controller, unless they are some that have proprietary networking...will only look at the battery voltage. They see the other charger...just as a battery. Under high demand...both chargers (shore and solar) will see a low "battery"...and begin charging. The shore...when you plug-in...the solar when the sun comes up. So, there are times they will bulk charge in unison. However, if one controller already has the battery voltage up to a higher level...the other controller may skip thru the stages and just lay back trying to maintain a float charge. I see this a lot while driving...my solar will be putting out 400w...my wife uses the microwave...the solar kicks up to 1200w...and the voltage drops enough for the bi-directional relay to connect. Now the alternator is joined...and putting out more voltage than the solar thinks is necessary. The solar tries to achieve the lower voltage...and winds up going to 0 watts...because the alternator stole the show.

The bottom line is...you don't have to worry about it...but it is fun to monitor to understand how they work along side one another.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #14

Thanks! We are on the same page; extra panels and charge controller. Love the 'bottom line'. One less item to be concerned about . . . . .

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel