Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Smart Tire Monitor "Lost Signal" Issue

The internal tire pressure/temperature used by Newmar and Spartan worked perfectly in my 2007 Essex for the 85,000 miles that I did in it. The 2013 King Aire had a "Signal Lost" at about 5,000 miles, right rear tag. At about 15K I had it repaired at Spartan in Charlotte, Michigan. The sensor had come loose and destroyed itself. They replaced with a new one.

I went from Michigan to Naples Florida and then to Daytona. From Daytona going to Los Cruces, New Mexico again "Lost Signal" from the same location. I had the tire broken at the bead to determine the cause. The sensor was again loose in the tire and was destroyed. I contacted Spartan and asked how these are installed. Apparently they just stick them on to the inside of the rim........................Interesting!

All tire sensors have this sticky application, but they also employ a strap that goes around the wheel. I went to Les Schwab in Lewiston Idaho. They agreed that a strap should be used as the stick-on would never stay stuck over time in the heat of running. I had bought another new sensor. Les Schwab did not have any straps but said they usually come with the sensors. I went to the Kenworth dealer and their story was the same. Nobody in town had the straps needed.

So, I bought heavy duty long wire ties. It took two to circle the rim and the sensor could accommodate two separate straps. That was 4 strap total. The Les Schwab tech agreed it would work perfectly. And so it did and continues to after another 15K. It will now give me the service that my Essex did, perfect!

So, last week while returning home, the right front goes "Lost Signal". I'm positive it is the same issue. Needless to say, I will now do all in the correct manner, with a strap.

Why would I have no issues with the same equipment on my earlier Essex? Well, I will bet they were using the straps then. But now the bean counters have figured a way to save $2 or $3 per wheel. It is disappointing.

This is just one of many "Save a Buck" ideas that these pencil pushers have forced the production people to do. And we all know of others.

Newmar and Spartan are one of, if not the top, RV builders in North America. Don't let the Bean Counter Pencil Pushers change that!

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The internal tire pressure/temperature used by Newmar and Spartan worked perfectly in my 2007 Essex for the 85,000 miles that I did in it. The 2013 King Aire had a "Signal Lost" at about 5,000 miles, right rear tag. At about 15K I had it repaired at Spartan in Charlotte, Michigan. The sensor had come loose and destroyed itself. They replaced with a new one.

I went from Michigan to Naples Florida and then to Daytona. From Daytona going to Los Cruces, New Mexico again "Lost Signal" from the same location. I had the tire broken at the bead to determine the cause. The sensor was again loose in the tire and was destroyed. I contacted Spartan and asked how these are installed. Apparently they just stick them on to the inside of the rim........................Interesting!

All tire sensors have this sticky application, but they also employ a strap that goes around the wheel. I went to Les Schwab in Lewiston Idaho. They agreed that a strap should be used as the stick-on would never stay stuck over time in the heat of running. I had bought another new sensor. Les Schwab did not have any straps but said they usually come with the sensors. I went to the Kenworth dealer and their story was the same. Nobody in town had the straps needed.

So, I bought heavy duty long wire ties. It took two to circle the rim and the sensor could accommodate two separate straps. That was 4 strap total. The Les Schwab tech agreed it would work perfectly. And so it did and continues to after another 15K. It will now give me the service that my Essex did, perfect!

So, last week while returning home, the right front goes "Lost Signal". I'm positive it is the same issue. Needless to say, I will now do all in the correct manner, with a strap.

Why would I have no issues with the same equipment on my earlier Essex? Well, I will bet they were using the straps then. But now the bean counters have figured a way to save $2 or $3 per wheel. It is disappointing.

This is just one of many "Save a Buck" ideas that these pencil pushers have forced the production people to do. And we all know of others.

Newmar and Spartan are one of, if not the top, RV builders in North America. Don't let the Bean Counter Pencil Pushers change that!

Peter
I would agree with you that Newmar is... however not so sure with the other...enough RV problems have come up with that chassis and have heard a few Fire Depts have safety concerns with them,also...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
On our Essex they used metal straps to secure the sensor to the inside of the wheel. They look like giant worm gear clamps. Ours are still going strong. The sensors will not start registering until we start moving. Thanks for telling us about them when we ordered our coach.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote