Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #1

Smart Wheel

As you see below, we have an 04 MH which has a smart wheel. When traveling, at least once a day the wipers some on. Usually only once. Sometimes we get late in the afternoon before it rears its ugly head. Also, it usually only does this once a day. We consider our travel days to not be complete unless the phantom wiper appears at least once.
What's happening??? Not a problem, just interesting.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's my 2 cents on this problem. May be a bad wiper motor, specifically the 'Park circuit switch' within the motor, or more likely an intermittent loss of ground to the wiper motor. When the ground wire is momentarily opened the wiper motor goes into 'park' mode and will usually cycle once or twice. I suggest checking for corrosion on the ground wire to the wiper motor, or running an additional ground from the motor case to a good chassis ground. The problem could be the switch or a power wiring problem, but most problems like these are loose grounds.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercerc44 View Post
As you see below, we have an 04 MH which has a smart wheel. When traveling, at least once a day the wipers some on. Usually only once. Sometimes we get late in the afternoon before it rears its ugly head. Also, it usually only does this once a day. We consider our travel days to not be complete unless the phantom wiper appears at least once.
What's happening??? Not a problem, just interesting.
I had this self same gremlin in my Coach (SOB) last fall. It got progressively worse until at the end on one trip all smart wheel functions quite. I started with the phantom wiper swipe.

I feared in was the clock spring but my first trouble shooting step was to remove the center steering wheel pad to inspect the wiring. There was one wiring connector under there. When I wiggled it, it popped open. It was just barely making contact. I seated the connector and it firmly clicked into place. I feel sure the connector had never been locked. No problem since.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is Smart Wheel info in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

Northwest RV Supply: Smart Wheel Replacement Taupe leather
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
My Smart Wheel had some intermittent problems and it was a pinched wire in the steering column.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote